Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Fairing Lower Speakers to CVO Limited.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:36 AM
brucea4
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding Fairing Lower Speakers to CVO Limited.

I have a 2016 CVO Limited, top of the line. It has The Boom radio system as many know and is supposed to be great on the road. Well, at highway speeds 75 and above it becomes hard to hear the music above the wind noise!
This is very disappointing as the sales guy told me the radio system on the 2016 CVOs was a great improvement over my 2013 Limited.
So, I was thinking on adding the fairing lower speakers ( 76000660 ) to my bike. Not bad, $299.95 plus labor. Speakers are supposed to snap into place. How much could labor be? Biggest part would be wiring them up. Isn't HD " plug & play "?
The impression I had was that the CVO stock radio Boom is already upgraded. Therefore, my understanding was that all I had to do was add speakers if I wanted. However, the dealer said I need an additional amplifier kit at $450.00 plus 3 hours labor. This is contrary to what I understood about the CVO Limited having a better more powerful system over the regular Ultras & Limiteds.
The manual does not specify one way or the other....

Old 09-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by brucea4
I have a 2016 CVO Limited, top of the line. It has The Boom radio system as many know and is supposed to be great on the road. Well, at highway speeds 75 and above it becomes hard to hear the music above the wind noise!
This is very disappointing as the sales guy told me the radio system on the 2016 CVOs was a great improvement over my 2013 Limited.
So, I was thinking on adding the fairing lower speakers ( 76000660 ) to my bike. Not bad, $299.95 plus labor. Speakers are supposed to snap into place. How much could labor be? Biggest part would be wiring them up. Isn't HD " plug & play "?
The impression I had was that the CVO stock radio Boom is already upgraded. Therefore, my understanding was that all I had to do was add speakers if I wanted. However, the dealer said I need an additional amplifier kit at $450.00 plus 3 hours labor. This is contrary to what I understood about the CVO Limited having a better more powerful system over the regular Ultras & Limiteds.
That 3 hours labor will easily turn into 4-5. I don't know man. Every time I comment on the Boom system somebody gets butt hurt and claims it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. So I don't comment on it publicly anymore. If you need any help or suggestions I'd be happy to help via PM.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:54 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

If it was my bike I would leave the infotainment system head unit and rip everything else audio wise out and go all aftermarket.For a 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the boom audio upgrades from the stealership you can one hell of a great sounding system.

The following users liked this post:
sic-puppy (09-17-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 04:29 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
That 3 hours labor will easily turn into 4-5. I don't know man. Every time I comment on the Boom system somebody gets butt hurt and claims it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. So I don't comment on it publicly anymore. If you need any help or suggestions I'd be happy to help via PM.
Let me try and be Gs politically correct interpretation cave man. Boom sucks!!! Do not put another penny into any more Boom lipstick on that pig. Take ur time and develop a plan that transitions you out of the Boom products. An amp and replacement speakers at your current speaker locations changes your entire world. From that point, solid lowers puts u in a different world.

Just trying to keep u from throwing good money at substandard solutions. When u hear the difference between Boom and aftermarket, u will totally thank G for Boom **** block.

T.

Last edited by Tailwind; 09-15-2017 at 06:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tailwind:
sic-puppy (09-17-2017), torchmaster (09-19-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 07:04 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Let me try and be Gs politically correct interpretation cave man. Boom sucks!!! Do not put another penny into any more Boom lipstick on that pig. Take ur time and develop a plan that transitions you out of the Boom products. An amp and replacement speakers at your current speaker locations changes your entire world. From that point, solid lowers puts u in a different world.

Just trying to keep u from throwing good money at substandard solutions. When u hear the difference between Boom and aftermarket, u will totally thank G for Boom **** block.

T.
Shots fired. . . . LOL!!

Old 09-15-2017, 09:28 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Shots fired. . . . LOL!!
Hey brother, the truth generally hurts when folks really don't wanna hear it.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:37 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

Putting speakers in the lowers of a twin cooled bike is difficult and will take a fair amount of creativity and fabrication but it can it done. No more Boom audio though. That's bad money spent.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:02 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
Hey brother, the truth generally hurts when folks really don't wanna hear it.
Ain't that the truth SB! In fairness to the BOOM guys though. I guess if I spent as much money as they do on that system and somebody comes along an says it's a POS. I'd be butt hurt too! Harley told the OP his CVO Boom system was an upgrade over the regular ultra's and limited's??? Not only that. They want to charge him another $700+ just to install the lowers. What he doesn't know is. . . Even if he spends the money he will still have the same disappointing system he had in the first place.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:21 AM
brucea4
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ain't that the truth SB! In fairness to the BOOM guys though. I guess if I spent as much money as they do on that system and somebody comes along an says it's a POS. I'd be butt hurt too! Harley told the OP his CVO Boom system was an upgrade over the regular ultra's and limited's??? Not only that. They want to charge him another $700+ just to install the lowers. What he doesn't know is. . . Even if he spends the money he will still have the same disappointing system he had in the first place.
Well....that is why I am on here asking questions! The CVO Limited has 75 watts per channel as the standard Limited & Ultras have only 25. Don't really know what that means but once again that is why I'm on here asking questions.....

Old 09-17-2017, 03:33 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Well....that is why I am on here asking questions! The CVO Limited has 75 watts per channel as the standard Limited & Ultras have only 25. Don't really know what that means but once again that is why I'm on here asking questions.....
I'm actually surprised you got those specs from Harley Davidson. It used to be like pulling teeth to get any specs for the Boom system. I guess guys complained so much they started releasing specs. At any rate 75 watts is good for the speakers they are using as they probably won't take very much more power than that AND the amp is not going to produce the power even if the speakers could take it. Problem is the speakers are not very good speakers and as Tailwind stated I'm trying play nice here.

So what you have in the BOOM system is basically the bare minimum for a system on a bike. It sounds good on the showroom floor. But in the wind at 80MPH the system is lacking depth. It's a PITA to rip it all out and start over but the end result is worth it.

Quick Reply: Adding Fairing Lower Speakers to CVO Limited.