Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to add an amp to my 2004 FLHTCUI

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

any other input? patiently waiting.....
m

Old 09-19-2017, 01:39 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm afraid to tell you, but this is a never ending pursuit of the oh so mysterious Audio Unicorn!!! I am afraid to recommend an amp that is a 1 time shot because your HU and speakers are not a good match for, say, an Arc 600.4 or any of that caliber of amps. If you want to keep the factory HU (mistake if you are after sound quality) I think Gann's recommendation is a good option, but again, IT'S A NEVER ENDING BATTLE!!!! Don't take that the wrong way, many of us love to change stuff out and try different stuff all the time, but it is time and $$ consuming. Not sure if this helps or not, but it's the truth. We as a group have been thru this a million times and the end result is almost always a guy doing it a few times and spending 3 or 4 times what he would have if he'd done it right in the first place.
Kris

Old 09-19-2017, 02:37 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
I'm afraid to tell you, but this is a never ending pursuit of the oh so mysterious Audio Unicorn!!! I am afraid to recommend an amp that is a 1 time shot because your HU and speakers are not a good match for, say, an Arc 600.4 or any of that caliber of amps. If you want to keep the factory HU (mistake if you are after sound quality) I think Gann's recommendation is a good option, but again, IT'S A NEVER ENDING BATTLE!!!! Don't take that the wrong way, many of us love to change stuff out and try different stuff all the time, but it is time and $$ consuming. Not sure if this helps or not, but it's the truth. We as a group have been thru this a million times and the end result is almost always a guy doing it a few times and spending 3 or 4 times what he would have if he'd done it right in the first place.
Kris
gotta agree with Kris here... but if your married to your stock head unit and speakers, that particular Rockford amp is probly regarded as their finest for bike installs

Old 09-19-2017, 04:09 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

thanks guys,,,,,anyone else want to chime in? the TM400 is high level in only,,,any thoughts,,,,it does give me 100w per channel,,,,i'm not married to stock speakers at all,,,,they are just less expensive to try out different ones and less labor intensive,,,i'm just kinda married to the head unit,,,,i still like my cd's and the aux in,,,,i know,,i'm a dinosaur,,,,i'd just like to limit how many trial and error efforts i have to try with the amp...i did get approved as an RF dealer, so it is available for dealer pricing.
m

Last edited by marcodarq; 09-19-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:47 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
thanks guys,,,,,anyone else want to chime in? the TM400 is high level in only,,,any thoughts,,,,it does give me 100w per channel,,,,i'm not married to stock speakers at all,,,,they are just less expensive to try out different ones and less labor intensive,,,i'm just kinda married to the head unit,,,,i still like my cd's and the aux in,,,,i know,,i'm a dinosaur,,,,i'd just like to limit how many trial and error efforts i have to try with the amp...i did get approved as an RF dealer, so it is available for dealer pricing.
m
i believe that amp was designed around high level inputs, to be a direct hook up to your factory head unit, and i also believe they are very forgiving with FM reception issues

Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

interesting development....
in one of my old storage cabinets i just found 2 pairs of speakers,,,,,one pair powerbass 4XL-65-92 and one pair Boston acoustic 6.5LF,,,,from what i've read up on I am led to believe that if I use these it looks like i will need to use seperate component tweeters also,,,can anyone confirm that for me? thanks.
m

Last edited by marcodarq; 09-20-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:31 PM
f250inmn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Bro. When you say you're on a budget and "cost is a concern" The question has to be asked. For $600 bucks I would change out the old polks to the new MM652 Polks. Purchase a Power Acoustic RZ4.2000D amp and call it good.
Not to hijack a thread but rather than starting another I have a PN4.1000 that dropped a channel (left rear is dead) I am looking for a good replacement for it I have BT7.1 in the front and pioneer pro's in the rear. Would the power acoustics amp you mentioned be an upgrade or downgrade from my current setup?

Old 09-21-2017, 03:01 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

can you not send it out for repair? maybe less money that replacement and no new wiring to do. if you liked it i mean.
m

Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by f250inmn
Not to hijack a thread but rather than starting another I have a PN4.1000 that dropped a channel (left rear is dead) I am looking for a good replacement for it I have BT7.1 in the front and pioneer pro's in the rear. Would the power acoustics amp you mentioned be an upgrade or downgrade from my current setup?
The PA RZ4.2000D would be a down grade to your SS PN4.1000D. The PA 3000D would be the equivalent of your SS.

The following users liked this post:
f250inmn (09-21-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 03:24 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

well my system showed up today, but the damn speaker adapters, RF, wont work with the speakers that i have. after talking to the RF tech dept, i've found that this discontinued product was designed to fit only the RF brand speakers!!! I've got new ones on the way, but this will keep me from wrapping up the job over the weekend,,,,,unless i find that the Polk units i have installed in the batwing can handle the power output until the new adapters show up and i can use the 6.5's that i have. I'll update after the install.
m

Quick Reply: I want to add an amp to my 2004 FLHTCUI