Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to add an amp to my 2004 FLHTCUI

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 01:15 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts
Default I want to add an amp to my 2004 FLHTCUI

Hey folks,
Like the title says, I want to add an amp to my bike but cost is a concern. My 2004 FLHTCUI has the stock HU and i can live with that, and i have installed Polk Audio speakers in the front and back already, but the need some more power. I'm not exactly a newbie, but also not an expert, and cost is a concern. I'm a PU and Biker'S Choice delaer so those are the catalogs i look at first. The unit that caught my attention is the Hogtunes NCA450-AA.
The price is in the right range (dealer cost for me) and I'm sure i can handle the install.
Is there anyone that can give me some input,,,,,i see that alot of you like the cerwin vega stuff and i was looking at the B54 also but didn'see pricing on that one.
When doing cars I have always changed the HU to get the rca outs, to get the amp access with a cleaner signal, but i'm on a budget so is running speaker level inputs really make that huge of a diiference?
Thanks marco

Old 09-18-2017, 12:38 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

45 views and no input,,,,,did i do something wrong????
M

Old 09-18-2017, 04:11 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

which polk speakers did you install?

Old 09-18-2017, 04:16 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
Hey folks,
Like the title says, I want to add an amp to my bike but cost is a concern. My 2004 FLHTCUI has the stock HU and i can live with that, and i have installed Polk Audio speakers in the front and back already, but the need some more power. I'm not exactly a newbie, but also not an expert, and cost is a concern. I'm a PU and Biker'S Choice delaer so those are the catalogs i look at first. The unit that caught my attention is the Hogtunes NCA450-AA.
The price is in the right range (dealer cost for me) and I'm sure i can handle the install.
Is there anyone that can give me some input,,,,,i see that alot of you like the cerwin vega stuff and i was looking at the B54 also but didn'see pricing on that one.
When doing cars I have always changed the HU to get the rca outs, to get the amp access with a cleaner signal, but i'm on a budget so is running speaker level inputs really make that huge of a diiference?
Thanks marco
How much do you want to spend?

Old 09-18-2017, 08:48 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

The polk speakers have been i nstalled for years and i dont remeber the model,,,not too relavant as they might get replaced. The amount i want to spend is not to relavent either as i will mostlikely get it for dealer/wholesale....trying tomfindmthembest bang for the buck in the 4-600 retail area.
M

Old 09-18-2017, 08:58 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

The guys are asking these questions because believe it or not, amps really vary and it makes a huge difference what way you go. I'm sure with your background you will be fine in doing the install. TAKE YOUR TIME and continue to ask questions. There is a great bunch of guys here to help.
Your thoughts on low level input is correct, in most cases, but in some cases the correct amp for you might like hi level input. We have some guys here that have TRIED IT ALL!!! One of our resident experts should have worked at Polk for a while back when the 651s had the tweeter stalk issues. So hang in there and this group will get you pointed down the correct path with the component or components that fit your situation the best.
Kris

Old 09-18-2017, 09:06 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

The polk speakers have been i nstalled for years and i dont remeber the model,,,not too relavant as they might get replaced. The amount i want to spend is not to relavent either as i will mostlikely get it for dealer/wholesale....trying tomfindmthembest bang for the buck in the 4-600 retail area.
M
Bro. When you say you're on a budget and "cost is a concern" The question has to be asked. For $600 bucks I would change out the old polks to the new MM652 Polks. Purchase a Power Acoustic RZ4.2000D amp and call it good.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:36 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

wasn't trying to be rude or smug,,,,the cost is a concern on the amp, cause i only want to install it once,,,not having to try more than one,,,,speakers on the other hand are less expensive(though vitally important), easier to swap out if i dont like them and i have better access to them for testing.
I own and operate a bike shop, so I have access to dealer pricing on the catalog units that are sold through Drag Specialties, Biker's Choice and WPS and I'm an Authorized AV Aquatic dealer. I 've had issues with AV so I dont want to use them....I just don't have any experience with the brands like JM, HogTunes and Biketronics. I like the idea of having the bracket to mount the amp on, hence why I mentioned the HT set up.
I'm not looking for competition grade, but dont want to buy junk either. In my past car audio I've always been kinda partial to Kenwood, but I haven't seen any HD specific stuff from them.
This is a project for me that is gonna happen in stages. Keeping the stock head unit is important to me as I like the way it works and am familiar with it, dont want to learn a new one, but the amp i only want to do once, if i can. I understand that you get what you pay for, hence asking about the bang for the buck.
thanks again
marco

Old 09-18-2017, 10:06 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

the other unit i was looking at is the rockford fosgtate TM400x4AD.....B/C has that one, and i watched the video for the install with the kit....thoughts on sound and build quality?
m

Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

the other unit i was looking at is the rockford fosgtate TM400x4AD.....B/C has that one, and i watched the video for the install with the kit....thoughts on sound and build quality?
m
That particular Rockford amp is a good piece of gear!! If you can get deal on that amp. Buy it!!

Quick Reply: I want to add an amp to my 2004 FLHTCUI