Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another newb help me with audio post.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Mike

Bro I get what you are saying, I really do, but I don’t think you are following me. The output signal from head unit is high level speakers, so the need for the SNI-35s to convert to a low level out put on RCAs.

The default position of the potentiometers on the SNI 35s I recieved are turned all the way down, so they are not pushing any signal. I am just trying to make sure I am not over driving signal to the amp. It sounds like the 1/2 way setting on the SNI will get me to where I need to be.

If I am getting distortion to the amp I can dial it back.

final adjustment are made using the gains on the amp. Easy peasy
No worries bro! I'll just leave this with you and I'm done. The overall sound quality of your system is going to be limited to the quality of the 2v stock radio. All the LOC does is allow you to run low level instead of high level. Setting the gains on the LOC or the amp is a moot point when the source is subpar. Good Luck my friend!!

Old 03-17-2018, 07:39 AM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
LOL! Good suggestions by FB and CS!! No magic fairies and pixie dust bro!! All technical data, science and art. Your resistance (ohms) to your speakers will be determined by your external amp. The HU becomes a moot point when using an external amp. The amp needs to be 2 or 4 ohm compatible. In other words it can run both 2 ohm and 4 ohm speakers. The SS that shocker recommended on a budget is excellent if you can find one. ( I might just have one on the shelf) lol You don't want the fairing speakers to be the same size as stock!! The stock speakers are 5.25 speakers. You want 6.5 speakers. For the cost of some $16 adapter rings it's doable all day long with no protrusions. On a budget. I'd go with that amp and the Polk MM652 speakers. You will need SNI-35 line drivers to hook up your amp to the stock HU. 8 gauge power and ground with a 50 amp inline fuse and 16 gauge speaker wire.
Sorry Gan, but he has a stock HU in a 2002, [like my 2005], the Amp does not fit, due the stock HU size, In 2006 > harmon Kardon is smaller and smaller add on modules [cb, etc] allow for more room to fit an amp. he may have to go BT or? any mice amp to do his install. Ultra

Old 03-17-2018, 07:55 AM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ultra_classic
Sorry Gan, but he has a stock HU in a 2002, [like my 2005], the Amp does not fit, due the stock HU size, In 2006 > harmon Kardon is smaller and smaller add on modules [cb, etc] allow for more room to fit an amp. he may have to go BT or? any mice amp to do his install. Ultra
OP did you get the Amp to fit under the hood? Because i could not on my 2005 Ultra, because the head unit is to fat and pushes the amp corners into the outer fairing cover. good luck sir

Old 03-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Just Mike
Road Warrior
Received 3,146 Likes on 992 Posts

I’d get it to fit, took me about 3 hours of installing, removing, installing, removing ad infintum.

Ultimately I had to clip the ears off the back of gauge cluster, trim the badge on the amp, reroute some wires, and file down the corners of the amp. It is seriously tight, but just fits.

It is mostly all assembled and in now, just need to assemble the quick disconnects for the rear speakers in bags. Probably won’t get to it until tomorrow, unless I finish up with other work early today. I will get some pics before I button it all up in case someone else runs in to the same situation there will be photos for reference/ideas

Last edited by Just Mike; 03-18-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

I got curious when reading about the SS amp and the stock head unit. The SS amp has high level inputs. Would they be compatible with that old HK head unit or has that been found to be a bad method of setting it up?

Old 03-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Just Mike
Road Warrior

High level inputs was initially one of the requirements I had when looking for an amp, but after reading here, and on other audio websites, it seems that the sni 35s will yield a better input signal.

I did not try using the high level inputs, as I already purchased the SNIs and just used those, so I cannot offer a side by side comparison.

Over all I am generally pleased with the entire set up, but as Gannicus has said here and else where, whenever using a stock HU, that will be your limiting factor, and will always be inferior to one of the many available HUs that are out there now.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

it seems that the sni 35s will yield a better input signal
I was wondering what the difference would be between the PAC devices lowering the signal and the amp itself lowering it. Keeping in mind that it has already been amplified by the head unit - that cannot be "undone" so to speak.

If you want to keep stock controls and CB you could contact Iron Cross Audio to see if they can install preamp outputs on that older HK. I don't know if 06 is the cutoff year for their services or not (I had them install them on my 10 model and the signal is clean as a whistle). I have also heard of other folks installing the 06-13 head units in older bikes but I guess it all depends on what a person's end goals are.

It's interesting to try out different combinations based on one's budget and/or goals that's for sure.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:39 PM
Just Mike
Road Warrior

This is definitely not the end goal. Just what would work for the current circumstances. Once I can get the guys I ride with to switch from CB to something else I am golden. Hand controls are a must, but it is my unstanding that there are kits to achieve this.

The plan was to live with this set up, as is, until next winter, and switch out HU, and upgrade any speakers (if needed) at that time. CB communications be damned. although now that everything is installed that may happen sooner (wife’s request).

Cut the tab off the back of the speedo/tach brackets
Tab after removal
Corner filed down (left)
Corner filed down (right)
Wires rerouted right before outer fairing installed
The “Bates Button”

Just got back from a couple hour ride.

A super huge thank You to Cshocker, Gannicus, Flyingbroke, Cpbedor, Babyboy, Tailwind, Eaglefan1, and anyone else I may have missed, who responded, guided, offered suggestions, and shared experiences. The system (I Think) sounds as good as it can given the components.

I am happy with everything thus far (and I both recognize and accept the limitations), it stayed within my self imposed limitations, met the requirements I needed, and blows the doors off most of the craptastic “plug and play” aftermarket systems out there.

We currently run a blue tooth adapter to the aux in, so we can stream music from our phones. The wife now says we need to get the new HU and lose the adapter so everything is clean looking. So that will be my next barrage of questions.

SBates responded in another thread that he installs a switch to shut off amp when using the stock head unit, so he can cut power in event of a down pour. Sounded like a solid idea, sonI installed a “Bates Button” on the remote wire, and mounted it above cigar lighter so it is mostly invisible.

Thanks again to all the guys that selflessly share their wisdom and experiences with the rest of us, in order to improve the knowledge base in a passion we all share. I definitely could not have done this without all of your help.

Last edited by Just Mike; 03-18-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:53 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Bates button....that's pretty cool.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:44 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

That does seem to be a monster of a head unit compared to the later HK models. I can see why it was an adventure getting everything together.