Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decreased FM Radio Reception After LED Headlight Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 06:27 PM
GarBare
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decreased FM Radio Reception After LED Headlight Install

The following is an email I sent to Eaglelites.com as well as Law Abiding Biker.com asking for suggestions to rectify my decreased radio reception issue after installing their LED headlight product. Eaglelites initial solution was that it was a grounding issue which I addressed below then submitted the result. Their secondary solution now is replacing it with a "non-halo" LED headlite. Law Abiding Biker's suggestion is to unplug each new component (I also installed LED turn/hazard/brake lights) until the faulty component is rectified which I'm pretty sure is the headlight. I like the look of the halo headlight so I'm simply reaching out for ideas or suggestions if someone else has experienced this and what your solution may have been. Thanks!!!

Referencing an Eaglelites.com Order back in late september early october I received and installed some lighting products onto my 2014 HD Street Glide Special. It was after the ((Eagle Lights 7" LED Headlight Halo Ring for Harley Davidson Motorcycles Daymaker × 1 (9100B)
Black / Adapter Wire / No Adapter Ring)) LED headlight installation that I noticed a vast difference in my radio reception with the headlight on vs with the headlight off both inside my garage as well as outside. I sent a couple of email requests to eaglelites regarding the issue and was advised that it most likely was a grounding issue. I have since removed the ferring front section, headlight, seat and battery tracing wiring and locating grounds. I found no grounding points under the ferring. I found two grounding studs on the frame just forward from the battery, removed the wires then cleaned the connection points at the stud bases and wire loops with an abrasive cloth then reattached. I also did the same with the battery cable connections and posts to ensure clean and proper connections.

Even with all of this I continue to experience the decreased reception in my FM stations with the ignition switch in the run positon, running and not running yet when I position the ignition switch to the accessory position both inside and outside of my garage the reception is 10 fold better, strong and what I feel is as it should be all the time.

Any additional suggestions and are there ground locations that I have missed?

Old 11-18-2017, 11:01 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Led headlight are very common to interrupt fm signal. They sell a inline harness that may help.
Example link.

http://chromeglow.com/products/wirin...-bulb-harness/

The following users liked this post:
GarBare (12-13-2017)