Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker question OEM or J&M

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 06:03 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by SOFTPETER
Wow Petey, you're so clever. This is exactly why you have ZERO credibility here. Quote part of a statement and use it out of context. Anyone that knows anything about audio can see right through you.

So you've been challenged a couple of times to demonstrate the experience that you feel makes you qualified to make the statements you do. No response to that huh bud????

I'm no audio guru or expert by any measure, but I've got enough respect for the people on here looking for help to not comment on stuff unless I've tried it personally or have other first hand experience with it, you should give that a try sometime. Back under your rock troll.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:11 PM
rpmerc86
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for all the info guys, you all were a great help.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:25 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

rpmerc86 ,,,,

looks like quite a bit of advice already! but if it were me, I would purchase the J&M ROKKER 7.25" speakers for the fairing positon & the ROKKER 525's for the rear trunk pods ,,,,,,

they will sound at least as good as the stock Harley speakers, without an amp, and then you will also be ready for an amp whenever you decide to install one ,,,,

shoot me an email and I will give you the J&M website links for both ,,,,

Old 11-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

John is correct on that point. The 7.25's Will definitely sound better than the stock speakers with no amp. Been there done that many moons ago. I'm just saying you won't be happy with just changing out the speakers with no amp. so you might as well do it right the first time. I wish someone would have told me that 10 years ago!! I probably tried 10 sets of speakers with no amp back then and John is right. His speakers sounded the best with no amp.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Rpmerc,
If u r not going to add an amp I honestly would not do a damn thing to your system. The return on your investment in JUST speakers is gonna be horrific.
Take your time, do some research, establish a budget, and come out swinging at the appropriate time with an amp and 4 speakers that are at the highest budget range u personally can justify for your sled. U buy the lowest tier stuff in an attempt to get a bit better than HD Audio, ur gonna be right back at the audio well in record time.
Do this right the first time around. Keep an eye on the HD Forum Audio Classifieds as well as there are some great deals that pop in there on occasion.

Good luck brother!!!

T.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:57 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmerc86
Thanks so much for all the info guys, you all were a great help.
Listen to Tailwind and Gan! They will save you time, money and disappointment. Don't make the mistake most of us made: not doing it right the first time.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:05 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by cshocker
Listen to Tailwind and Gan! They will save you time, money and disappointment. Don't make the mistake most of us made: not doing it right the first time.
by all means, list where you are located, many of us only use the mobile site, and cant see your info, there may be a forum member that lives nearby, go listen to their system, decide if thats where you wanna be, if thats way too much, or if thats not enuf. the video section here is great, but dont do justice to most systems

Old 11-23-2017, 07:45 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
John is correct on that point. The 7.25's Will definitely sound better than the stock speakers with no amp. Been there done that many moons ago. I'm just saying you won't be happy with just changing out the speakers with no amp. so you might as well do it right the first time. I wish someone would have told me that 10 years ago!! I probably tried 10 sets of speakers with no amp back then and John is right. His speakers sounded the best with no amp.
100% solid info right here. Keep your end game in mind and ask questions before pulling the trigger, we as a group, will do our best to help you not make the same mistakes we already have.
Kris

Old 12-04-2017, 11:36 AM
rpmerc86
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE to Speaker question - Amp wire routing question

Thanks again to all who responded to my inquiry regarding J&M speakers vs OEM. On your advice i purchased an amplifier along with the J&M speakers. I found the J&Ms for a good price of $79.95/pr from www.directcycleparts.com (most places wanted nearly $120/pr)..The amp is a DUAL DA704L, which i mounted on top of stock H-K head unit in fairing. Does anybody have any tips or advice as to what is the best route to run the wiring for the amp? I removed the fuel tank and planned on running the 12v power wire on left side of frame and speaker wires on right side. Any thoughts ?

Thank You

Old 12-04-2017, 12:14 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmerc86
Thanks again to all who responded to my inquiry regarding J&M speakers vs OEM. On your advice i purchased an amplifier along with the J&M speakers. I found the J&Ms for a good price of $79.95/pr from www.directcycleparts.com (most places wanted nearly $120/pr)..The amp is a DUAL DA704L, which i mounted on top of stock H-K head unit in fairing. Does anybody have any tips or advice as to what is the best route to run the wiring for the amp? I removed the fuel tank and planned on running the 12v power wire on left side of frame and speaker wires on right side. Any thoughts ?

Thank You
pop the cover off the wiring tray, tuck them in, and call it good, make sure you put an inline fuze near battery on positive side

The following users liked this post:
rpmerc86 (12-04-2017)

Quick Reply: Speaker question OEM or J&M