Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio Systems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/)
-   -   Trying to install mm652 in fairing (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems/1213421-trying-to-install-mm652-in-fairing.html)

rsking45 01-04-2018 09:24 PM

Trying to install mm652 in fairing

So I decided on the polk audio mm652 with the impression they would fit in my 2015 street glide special with no problem. They arrived today and they do fit the speaker pods but installing the pods back on the bike wont work, The mounting ring is alot thicker than the stock speakers and if you try to mount the speaker pod back onto the bike the front surround suspension part of the speaker will be squashed into the stock speaker mesh cover.

Iv looked around and see where people do the Pod mod and mount the speaker inside the pod. Right now the BT speaker brackets are out of the question. Will it hurt the sound or the speakers to mount them inside the pods?
Any suggestions from the audio pros?

Tailwind 01-05-2018 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by rsking45
So I decided on the polk audio mm652 with the impression they would fit in my 2015 street glide special with no problem. They arrived today and they do fit the speaker pods but installing the pods back on the bike wont work, The mounting ring is alot thicker than the stock speakers and if you try to mount the speaker pod back onto the bike the front surround suspension part of the speaker will be squashed into the stock speaker mesh cover.

Iv looked around and see where people do the Pod mod and mount the speaker inside the pod. Right now the BT speaker brackets are out of the question. Will it hurt the sound or the speakers to mount them inside the pods?

If it's just the mesh grill that's the issue, have u considered the Boom style grill? Just trying to visualize what is making contact with what?

T.

Houston_t 01-05-2018 07:34 AM

Mount them inside the pods.

Kenbow 01-05-2018 12:42 PM

I have heard these will work
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hogtunes-Fr...BX6tqK&vxp=mtr

I chose to install my Kappa's in the pods.

rsking45 01-05-2018 10:49 PM

So I decieded to mount the speakers inside the pods. To mount the speakers inside the pods was easy and took about a hour or so to do both. After installing the speakers inside the pod there is a gap between the speakers and the speaker grill so I used some round filler cord to take up the gap,necessary? I don’t know but can’t hurt. I’m kinda hesitant to cut vent holes in the pods, are vents a must ? I’ve read that some are putting in big vent holes and putting poly fill in the pods.

If I’m not happy with the sound I’ll remount the speakers on the outside and give boom grills a try

Fuppets 05-18-2018 08:37 AM

I'm considering this as well. How did you like them?

InthewindMN 05-18-2018 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by rsking45 (Post 16969598)

I haven’t tried those speakers but with the ones I have done I used hogtunes grills. I also added a couple small washers to the top two bolts that hold the pod to the inner fairing to give the speakers a little more room.

rsking45 05-18-2018 09:26 PM

I didn't care for them. I ended up going with the kappa and so far I'm happy.
I was told the mm652 work very good in lowers

piper59 03-21-2019 11:55 AM

I bought one of those spring extensions for my ratchet,its about 7-8 inches long and will bend to get to the nut.Yes,it's a pita.

Ryan42 03-21-2019 04:25 PM

I have a 2015 street glide in the same speakers didn’t fit I had to get different speaker grills And I actually trimmed the plastic around the speaker area on the faring for more clearance