Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Strategy - Daily Rider vs Parking Lot vs Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts
Default Build Strategy - Daily Rider vs Parking Lot vs Hybrid

Been a lot of various build strategy discussions and associated Unicorn hunts, thus very curious about sharing some ideas in an attempt to define some definitive guidance for those entering the hunt or already in the hunt.

Differences between the unicorns?
Speaker locations?
Types of speakers?
# of speakers?
Tweets or Horns?
Amps?
Watts?
Inside the bag Speakers?
Subs?

Full disclosure. My unicorn is generally a hybrid with a strong emphasis on daily rider.

Thoughts?

T.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:36 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
define some definitive guidance

T.
Good subject! There’s a difference between the three but my opinion is that there is no way for real “definitive” guidance because the lines are blurred and one has to account for individual tastes. Some may say a two speaker set up can’t be pro audio because it lacks warmth while the next guy might say it’s so loud for him on the road it’s perfect. I’ve heard them both from customers.

Audio... regardless of build type is funnest when you can be creative, putting each category in a definitive bin restricts that.

I am curious to to see hear what folks consider safe bets for each one.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:05 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

With every install potentially varied so much based off budget, what you have and want for space, intention of expansion, etc, the evolution of each bikes install seems to evolve. So many of us started fairing only, then worked to lids, or lowers or both, then to bags etc. Hard to pinpoint anything as I think the saying never satisfied fits perfectly right here. So that unicorn really never gets found for some and others are happy with a image of it.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:34 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Well I think you CAN define how to get to your goal but honestly most folks have never heard their goal before so how can you plan for it. I think it's more realistic to set out the rider, hybrid and competitor categories and layout what the limitation is going to be. For example:

Rider - all stock locations, nothing in bags
Hybrid - some stuff in bags
competitor - anything goes.

What I DON'T want folks to think is that a competition bike means you have no room. There are categories of competition bikes. For example I know a guy in SC who won in Atlanta that has four 6.5 up front, 8's in the lids, and 8's in the tour pack lids. NOTHING inside the bags, and one amp in tourpack. Not a lot going on, he doesn't have a ton of "bass" but his bike has incredible sound quality and is a "competition" bike. So really its more of a hybrid?? Maybe.

I think going in, you have to realize there will be limitations and that's the hardest part. So if a guy want's his fairing louder or better yet the "loudest" it's not gonna happen without pro audio speakers. if a guy wants bass like a car it's not gonna happen without giving up the entire bag. I think understanding this would be SUPER useful. I think back two years ago when I had dual 8's in my bags and wanted "a little more", then that turned into "i just need more bass", if I knew then that it was never going to happen with dual 8's I could've planned things better OR just understood I reached max capacity and have to be fine with that.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:50 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab

Definitely agree with that.

With pro audio in my fairing, lids, bags, and 4 super tweeters i don't consider my bike a competition bike. I can still fit a good deal in my bags and fill up the tour pak for when i want to hit the road. I feel like the bike is the loudest it has ever been and i don't have to turn it up to full volume to hear things clear as day whether around town, backroads, or the highway.

My next venture may lean a little towards competition, but I'll still be able to get a bunch of stuff in the tour pak for the road. No matter how it turns out I'm still gonna ride the tar out of it and enjoy the music along the way, as well as anyone else in the near vicinity lol.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:35 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
Well I think you CAN define how to get to your goal but honestly most folks have never heard their goal before so how can you plan for it. I think back two years ago when I had dual 8's in my bags and wanted "a little more", then that turned into "i just need more bass", if I knew then that it was never going to happen with dual 8's I could've planned things better OR just understood I reached max capacity and have to be fine with that.
Strong advice to take in right here. Especially knowing if you have reached that capacity or not.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:37 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Good stuff!!!!

Thinking the hybrid class is in need of the most attention and also advance.

Don't get me wrong as there have been damn awesome advances in sled audio but see a big void within this very challenging arena. Limited space and some really damn challenging riding factors. Just a matter of time till we raise that bar to unimaginable levels!!!!

Great input boys!!!

T.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:51 AM
Respect
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Good topic. Definitive stuff is difficult other than things that rely on physics. Dialogue on the other hand is money.

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Been a lot of various build strategy discussions and associated Unicorn hunts, thus very curious about sharing some ideas in an attempt to define some definitive guidance for those entering the hunt or already in the hunt.

Differences between the unicorns?
Sound Quality (SQ)
Max Loudness (SPL)
Balance of Sound Quality and Loudness (SQL)

Speaker locations?
I'm with BAL:

Types of speakers?
Not sure what you mean but... Most obvious consideration should be environment. Can you get away with any speaker or do they need to be weather-resistant? Optionally you could define which locations are safer than others for traditional speakers. i.e. rear pods take rain straight on while fairing offers some protection.
# of speakers?
Defined by speaker locations. Stock locations is a finite number.
Tweets or Horns?
Tweeters are generally smaller and lighter overall and fit just about anywhere, and with their various mounting parts can usually be made more directional than horns. They typically have lower power requirements and are somewhat fragile. Horns on the other hand can get LAF, are heavier, bulky (very limited install spots), take lots of power and can usually be serviced if they blow.
Amps?
Rule of thumb: You get what you pay for. Don't spend money twice. Buy a very good amp right from the start and it will be the backbone of your system for many many years.
Watts?
The correct response to me would be done on a scratch pad with all the goal in mind and the specs of the stuff I'm hard for. To me Watts don't mean sh*t. 75W from a JL Audio XD series amp is not the same as 75W from a $100 Soundstream. There are so many other variables with output than just the number of Watts. This goes back to why I suggest buying a very good amp.
Inside the bag Speakers?
Easy decision. Do you need the space or not? If you can give it up, this is an excellent area to make up SPL.
Subs?
If you're moving and believe physics is a real thing than you should understand simple wave cancellation occurs due to engine, exhaust, road, and wind noise. Sub fq's will be a lot more of a challenge than a stationary ride.

Full disclosure. My unicorn is generally a hybrid with a strong emphasis on daily rider.

Thoughts?

T.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:00 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Respect
Good topic. Definitive stuff is difficult other than things that rely on physics. Dialogue on the other hand is money.
started out... budget... not even a radio on police bike
first install was before i knew this forum existed
none of that equipment is on bike currently
SQL Hybrid is the uni im after
and i have 100 guys on here to thank for help every step of the way

Old 10-21-2017, 08:54 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Bal nailed it for me and assume few others never heard my goal so hard to plan for then what was goal rider turns to hybrid so guess now looking to be sql and want to stay away from spl .
​​​​​​So yes how to improve hybrid would be helpful never used that word for bike audio but it fits.I think this is the largest population on forum due to fact most start as rider and can't stop also think is group making least headway.2cts

Quick Reply: Build Strategy - Daily Rider vs Parking Lot vs Hybrid