Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effects of a weak battery on audio system

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 11:55 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Effects of a weak battery on audio system

Here's what I have been experiencing the past couple of rides.

Stereo sounds great when parked and ignition in accy position. As soon as I fire it up and start riding the front speakers appear to "distort". It's almost as if they are breaking up in rhythm to the engine. It's really strange. It's never done that before.

The last two times I've got the bike out to go for a ride it's been a pita to start. Finally tracked it down to a weak battery. Just wondering if the weak batter is the sudden cause of the crap sound I'm getting while riding?

Any thoughts?

Zach

Old 01-29-2018, 12:11 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

is your bike and stereo system stock? any loss of voltage is not good.
m

Old 01-29-2018, 12:19 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry, should have included the equipment.

HU - Sony MEX810
Amp - SS PN4.1000
Frt - Hertz HCX 6.5
Rear - Hertz HCX 690

Stock/original charging system.

Zach

Old 01-29-2018, 12:53 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Weak battery is exactly where I'd start. Replacing it should solve your issues.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:16 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Big Z, my input on this would be the same as Bates, good to see you around brother, and whenever I see your name on anything, I gotta take a look, just cause your sig pic is AWESOME.
Kris

Old 01-29-2018, 02:19 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

make sure that you confirm that your charging system is also working as it should.
m

Old 01-29-2018, 04:38 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
Here's what I have been experiencing the past couple of rides.

Stereo sounds great when parked and ignition in accy position. As soon as I fire it up and start riding the front speakers appear to "distort". It's almost as if they are breaking up in rhythm to the engine. It's really strange. It's never done that before.

The last two times I've got the bike out to go for a ride it's been a pita to start. Finally tracked it down to a weak battery. Just wondering if the weak batter is the sudden cause of the crap sound I'm getting while riding?

Any thoughts?

Zach
As Bates said. The Battery is a good place to start but I suspect you have some other issues going on if the sound goes to crap while riding the bike. Where is your volt meter sitting while riding? You only have the one amp and the Hertz speakers. That system should be making the dogs howl!! Loud and clear with no distortion. Where are the gains set on the amp? Is the AVC on or off? Where are your crossovers set? Are you running full pass or HP?

Old 01-29-2018, 07:14 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

The battery only serves the purpose for starting. When running the charging system and voltage regulator takes over.
Since you’ve replaced the battery, from issues on starting, and if the problem persist I’d run a check on the charging system.

The following users liked this post:
Hoginedgewood (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 07:23 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Like tesnevo said, battery only starts the motor, then it gets recharged while you ride so it’s ready for the next start.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:09 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

Volt gauge was a tick over 14 as I was riding. I honestly don't remember where it would normally be.

I set the gains with a DMM using Ohm's law when I first installed it. It's been a couple of years since they were touched.

AVC does not appear to be a feature of this head unit based on reviewing the manual.

Not sure on the cross over setting. I haven't had the fairing off in a few months.

I'm not thinking it's a set-up/tuning issue as it just started acting like this.

I know the battery is weak, so I'll just grab a new one. But now I'm wondering if I've got a loose RCA cable. When the bike isn't running it is connected well enough, but when I start it and the whole thing starts shaking maybe it's breaking connection temporarily.

Zach

Originally Posted by Gannicus
As Bates said. The Battery is a good place to start but I suspect you have some other issues going on if the sound goes to crap while riding the bike. Where is your volt meter sitting while riding? You only have the one amp and the Hertz speakers. That system should be making the dogs howl!! Loud and clear with no distortion. Where are the gains set on the amp? Is the AVC on or off? Where are your crossovers set? Are you running full pass or HP?

Quick Reply: Effects of a weak battery on audio system