Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'17 CVOSG ongoing blown speakers problem

Old 02-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Cpuccio
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '17 CVOSG ongoing blown speakers problem

I bought my '17 CVOSG back in May '17, new. I've ridden about 15k miles since. Bike has been flawless except for routinely blowing out my saddle bag speakers. I'm on my 3rd replacement on the right side (which just started rattling bad again a few days ago) and 2nd on the left. My experience is... all is good clean sound, then suddenly I notice bad rattling with the bass. Sure enough, dealer says blown speaker and replaces it. Granted, it's all under warranty but it's a PIA!! I have the bass and treble at +2 past center, which isn't extreme, and the highway sound adjustment at 1. I usually listen at about half or less of max volume. I listen mostly to hard rock/metal which has a lot of hard hitting base. But still, the Boom2 should be able to take it, right?? Curious... Does anyone have this ongoing problem? Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
jgerboc (06-23-2020)
Old 02-13-2018, 05:46 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Let the dealer deal with it. I’m assuming it’s all factory boom audio? If that’s the case the only help your going to get is the dealer under warranty.
I’d ditch the boom speakers and amp and upgrade with aftermarket and be done with the boom.
It’s designed for low volume AT BEST.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:48 PM
Cpuccio
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. Yeah, it's all factory Boom2. Guess I'll just keep replacing them until warranty is done. Then replace with aftermarket.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:19 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpuccio
I bought my '17 CVOSG back in May '17, new. I've ridden about 15k miles since. Bike has been flawless except for routinely blowing out my saddle bag speakers. I'm on my 3rd replacement on the right side (which just started rattling bad again a few days ago) and 2nd on the left. My experience is... all is good clean sound, then suddenly I notice bad rattling with the bass. Sure enough, dealer says blown speaker and replaces it. Granted, it's all under warranty but it's a PIA!! I have the bass and treble at +2 past center, which isn't extreme, and the highway sound adjustment at 1. I usually listen at about half or less of max volume. I listen mostly to hard rock/metal which has a lot of hard hitting base. But still, the Boom2 should be able to take it, right?? Curious... Does anyone have this ongoing problem? Thanks!
Sadly you are not the only one having problems with the cvo boom system. The problem is that system runs off 2 ohms and most aftermarket systems run off 4 ohms. As long as it is under warranty, let the MOTO replace the speakers. After that you just may need to replace the whole system, amps and all except the hu. J&M Rokker XXR 5x7 speaker kit states it is a direct replacement for the boom speakers and run off 2 ohms but I have not heard these and they do require modification to the stock baskets to make fit. That might be worth while to try in lew of replacing the whole system.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:24 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Id turn that bass down to -1 or -2 below center. And turn off the AVC

Old 02-13-2018, 06:55 PM
MrEnigmatic
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sponger
Id turn that bass down to -1 or -2 below center. And turn off the AVC
that's pretty much what you have to do. bass flat or -1, treble +2 max kept my 15 going for a little longer. I listen to Rap and R&B mostly. also check your source if you're using bluetooth, turn the volume down on the device to around 3/4 or so even some mp3 files on zip can cause distortion. these were the things i was told by a few guys that dealt with Boom2 on a regular basis. I removed all my boom speakers and installed PA speakers running on stock amp. It's loud and clear.... right up until the boom equalizer curve kicks in and starts trying to drive the cones out of the baskets lol I don't believe any speaker will stand up to those settings

Old 02-14-2018, 08:43 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MrEnigmatic
that's pretty much what you have to do. bass flat or -1, treble +2 max kept my 15 going for a little longer. I listen to Rap and R&B mostly. also check your source if you're using bluetooth, turn the volume down on the device to around 3/4 or so even some mp3 files on zip can cause distortion. these were the things i was told by a few guys that dealt with Boom2 on a regular basis. I removed all my boom speakers and installed PA speakers running on stock amp. It's loud and clear.... right up until the boom equalizer curve kicks in and starts trying to drive the cones out of the baskets lol I don't believe any speaker will stand up to those settings
Wow. If you have to run the cvo system like that, I'm sure the SQ is lost or not that good. I am so glad I didn't buy a cvo. Ill keep my aftermarket system.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:58 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't believe you need to turn off the AVC in fact i believe it works best with it on, you dont need to set it very high but i believe it works with the systems eq. And definitely turn the treble and bass down below the mid way point if you plan on turning the volume up. That goes for any of the stock bike stereo system's, even the cvo boom2 will blow the speakers. I'm surprised I haven't blown a speaker yet on my 15 cvo street glide. So far so good.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:48 PM
MrEnigmatic
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Wow. If you have to run the cvo system like that, I'm sure the SQ is lost or not that good. I am so glad I didn't buy a cvo. Ill keep my aftermarket system.
I don't think the bike has a sound quality issue. is has a different EQ curve for riding and sitting still. when riding i think the EQ program is just asking too much of the speakers as far as bass output (if I'm explaining this correctly lol). like I said, mine is loud and clear, but soon as AV kicks in (I also keep it set low, not off) on some songs it tends to "pop" on bass notes as if you're over driving the speaker.

Also, I got my CVO for the resale value, chrome and paint! LOL I knew i was gonna change the stereo anyway

Old 02-14-2018, 04:02 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

My buddy got a 2017 cvo SG and I was impressed by the sound of the system sitting still. I was leaning on getting one until I saw the ann. standard SG. I have since learned that the boom has a different eg delivery set up for sitting still on acc and running down the road. Go figure. Like I always say, buy your system for riding 70-80 mph.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '17 CVOSG ongoing blown speakers problem