Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange reply from AD Designs

Old 02-19-2018, 05:29 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Strange reply from AD Designs

Howdy all,

I was asking a few questions about speakers from AD Designs via email. I mentioned I had been advised to use the CX62 model in the lower fairings and rear pods. Here is a snippet from the email response I received from them:

However I would not use them in the lower legs as we have seen some issues with debris getting in the speaker and causing issues. No clue how it even happens with how they face but this is feedback from one of our dealers that does nothing but bikes in Michigan.
Has anyone encountered this? I was thinking of trying to keep the speakers in the rear pods and lower fairings the same since I was going to have them paralleled on the rear channel, but I guess it won't matter too much as long as they are all four ohms.

What say y'all on this matter?

Old 02-19-2018, 06:10 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

thats just silly.....

Old 02-19-2018, 06:22 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
thats just silly.....
I agree. And just because they're both 4ohm doesn't mean you can parallel them. They need to be as close as possible in specs. I personally think you'll be fine with the AD's in the lowers. I've had them there and absolutely no issues.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:53 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I talk with them on a fairly regular basis and that’s NEVER been discussion. Maybe on the original design of them with the cone not attached to the stalk and the tweeters being in a cup I could potentially see an issue BUT The new design rectified that.

Edited to add; it just occurred to me in fact this was a discussion mid last year with them but again the new design rectified it.

Last edited by tesnevo; 02-19-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

I've had them there and absolutely no issues.
Edited to add; it just occurred to me in fact this was a discussion mid last year with them but again the new design rectified it.
Thanks y'all I appreciate the replies. They did mention this about the model numbers (Cx62 vs. the Cx621):

It is the same speaker we just updated the packaging and model number. They also come with Pre glued tweeter posts so they won't move around when used on bikes.
So apparently the upgraded speaker y'all mentioned may now be called the Cx621 and it has a non-adjustable tweeter pod. Has anyone use that model yet?

I wonder if the usage of Dynamat may help protect them from debris? Maybe that is the difference between the way y'all install them and some other folks. I've never used Dynamat before so I may need to follow up with y'all on that, but I think I will stick with the Cx621s in the pods and lowers unless anyone knows of a better setup for the rear channel of the SS PN4.1000D.

As far as who to order them from I emailed Alex at BAL but haven't heard back from him yet. AD designs offers them for sale on their website but I can't seem to find out how much shipping would add to the price that they quote.

I getting near to the point where I will be putting the bike back together so I would like to order some speakers soon.

Thanks again I appreciate all this info.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:02 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1

I getting near to the point where I will be putting the bike back together so I would like to order some speakers soon.

Thanks again I appreciate all this info.
There are tons of speaker options out there so don't force this plan if ur not 200% sure about it.

T.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:09 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Howdy all,

I was asking a few questions about speakers from AD Designs via email. I mentioned I had been advised to use the CX62 model in the lower fairings and rear pods. Here is a snippet from the email response I received from them:

Has anyone encountered this? I was thinking of trying to keep the speakers in the rear pods and lower fairings the same since I was going to have them paralleled on the rear channel, but I guess it won't matter too much as long as they are all four ohms.

What say y'all on this matter?
Debris getting in the speaker and causing issues? Where in the hell do these guys come from? Makes no sense. I've ran those speakers in the lowers and rear pods through all kinds of elements. Clean as a whistle when I switched them out. They sound pretty damn good too!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:00 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

I've ran those speakers in the lowers and rear pods through all kinds of elements. Clean as a whistle when I switched them out. They sound pretty damn good too!
Thanks Gannicus I appreciate the confirmation. I was concerned because in the area of Southern VA where I am at we don't often get "rain" in the summertime, we get "bad clouds". It's not uncommon to get caught in a quick monsoon where the rain is whipping around so much it goes sideways. Then twenty miles later it is bone dry.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:49 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Debris getting in the speaker and causing issues? Where in the hell do these guys come from? Makes no sense. I've ran those speakers in the lowers and rear pods through all kinds of elements. Clean as a whistle when I switched them out. They sound pretty damn good too!
"Debris in the speaker" is a talking point you use when u have a design flaw and shix starts falling apart. They indicated that it has been corrected so let's hope that's the case.

T.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

"Debris in the speaker" is a talking point you use when u have a design flaw and shix starts falling apart. They indicated that it has been corrected so let's hope that's the case.

At $279 a pair I sure as heck hope they fixed the issue! I will need two pairs of whatever I decide to go with (one rear pods, one lowers).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange reply from AD Designs