Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise coming from speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:07 PM
aaron5140
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise coming from speakers

I have a 2012 Road Glide Custom, just finished doing an upgrade.

I have the Aquatic AV aq-mp-5bt-h stereo for almost a year - works fine with the OEM speakers. But, I just installed a the CV b52 amp and Kappa 62.11I speakers. Ran 8ga OFC power and ground wires directly from the battery, using a 1.5ft Stinger RCA cable from head unit to amp, using blue remote wire from head unit to turn on amp, used dmm to tune amp - about 20.3VAC to each speaker using a -5db 1khz test tone bluetooth from my phone, lined the outer fairing with hushmat, and even wrapped the speakers with polyfill....you can see the amp on the right side of the first image.

It screams and sounds pretty darn good with music, but here's the problem - with music paused or volume turned down to zero or head unit on one of the not-used aux inputs, I get a white noise from the speakers and sometimes an audible electrical squeal - whether the engine is running or not. What can it be???? I triple-checked all connections before I put the fairing back on....

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 03-10-2018, 01:36 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

What are the connections and where are they connected?

Old 03-10-2018, 01:57 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

White noise and squeal like feedback noise? If all is connected right and tight, 7-10 times its the rca cables or rca connection. try replacing them (one at a time) to see if it stops.

The following users liked this post:
aaron5140 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 09:05 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

You went from the headunit to an amped/aftermarket speaker system. All you did was amplify a noise that was already there. Some headunits have white/static noise. I’d trace down the ground from the headunit and ground it in a different location. See if that helps.

aaron5140 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 09:57 PM
aaron5140
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
White noise and squeal like feedback noise? If all is connected right and tight, 7-10 times its the rca cables or rca connection. try replacing them (one at a time) to see if it stops.
Thanks for this input, I ran by a small independent car audio place today and the owner listened to the sounds, he was suggesting this same thing as well as grounding the head unit to the ground for the amp - so, since the weather is going to be crappy here tomorrow, I'm going to take the outer fairing back off and get rid of the RCA cable completely and replace it with a pair of male-to-male couplers and I'm also going to re-ground the head unit to the ground for the amp.

I'll let you guys know the results....

Old 03-11-2018, 02:23 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

I had weird noises too under certain situations. If you unplug the RCA cables coming from the head unit does the weird noise stop? If it does one of these doodads MIGHT help:https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PAC-SNI...72.m2749.l2649

I had a good pop when I turned my head unit on or off and that PAC-SNI-1 stopped it.

Grounding to the same point is a good idea too but I didn't have to do that. I think the car audio guys used to call that a "star ground". I did it in my truck over twenty years ago and have never had ignition whine problems.

aaron5140 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 04:45 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Aaron ,,,,,,

did you connect the Aquatics radio via direct RCA-RCA between radio and amp?

Old 03-12-2018, 11:45 AM
aaron5140
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
Aaron ,,,,,,

did you connect the Aquatics radio via direct RCA-RCA between radio and amp?
Yes, RCA out from head unit to RCA in on amp. Currently waiting on a couple barrel connectors so that I can remove the 1.5ft RCA cable, don't need the length because the radio pigtails can reach the amp pigtails directly, hoping this'll help.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:48 AM
aaron5140
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
I had weird noises too under certain situations. If you unplug the RCA cables coming from the head unit does the weird noise stop? If it does one of these doodads MIGHT help:https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PAC-SNI...72.m2749.l2649

I had a good pop when I turned my head unit on or off and that PAC-SNI-1 stopped it.

Grounding to the same point is a good idea too but I didn't have to do that. I think the car audio guys used to call that a "star ground". I did it in my truck over twenty years ago and have never had ignition whine problems.
I've got one of these coming, hoping it will help...

Old 09-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Paradoxicated
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by aaron5140
I've got one of these coming, hoping it will help...
Did you ever get this issue resolved?

Quick Reply: Noise coming from speakers