Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio upgrade for novice RG owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Don't be afraid of learning how to tune an amp. It's like the guys that install big bore kits or engine upgrades then use a canned download and call it tuned. They can say they have the big bore, but it's really not running as efficiently as it should be.

Tuning an amp is really not hard at all. A digital multi meter, a test tone (easily downloaded) and the help this forum provides is all you need. You will be happier in the long run and it really opens up your speaker choices vs trying to match speakers to a non-adjustable amp.

Zach

Old 03-15-2018, 03:48 PM
ZX2BY2U
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Don't worry about the "too much power" thing as long as u have an amp with gain controls. These afford u the opportunity to provide the power you desire. Better to have a ton of power u can regulate vs not enough power to even meet the minimum speed limit.

T
I get it. Good analogy!

Old 03-15-2018, 04:30 PM
ZX2BY2U
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Biggzed
...Tuning an amp is really not hard at all. A digital multi meter, a test tone (easily downloaded) and the help this forum provides is all you need...

Zach
Ah, Zack, now you're scaring me again. Lol. I'm sure I can download a test tone (would to my phone and into aux port be good enough?), but I've never used a multimeter before. Haven't the slightest idea how. Are you sure you guys can walk this green a noob through this?

Old 03-15-2018, 05:12 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX2BY2U
Ah, Zack, now you're scaring me again. Lol. I'm sure I can download a test tone (would to my phone and into aux port be good enough?), but I've never used a multimeter before. Haven't the slightest idea how. Are you sure you guys can walk this green a noob through this?
ZX, no need for a multimeter though that would give you a good starting point! Do it simply by setting HU volume at 3/4, isolate each pair of speakers, turn gains up till you hear distortion creep in, then back gain down a hair...eezy peezy!

Old 03-15-2018, 05:21 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
ZX, no need for a multimeter though that would give you a good starting point! Do it simply by setting HU volume at 3/4, isolate each pair of speakers, turn gains up till you hear distortion creep in, then back gain down a hair...eezy peezy!
Do not do it this way using the test tone. the test tone is used with the multi meter and the speakers unhooked. then once you have it set you get rid of the test tone and hook up the speakers.

Like others have said its not hard you just have to got through the correct steps. and most here will walk you through it.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:03 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

No reason to be scared, but MotoMike gave you another great option. There are several good YouTube videos that show how to do it with and without a multi-meter. Trust me, once you do it you'll ask yourself what you were so nervous about it.

Zach

Originally Posted by ZX2BY2U

Old 03-15-2018, 06:17 PM
ZX2BY2U
Cruiser

I know exactly what I'm afraid of. Frying expensive electrical ****! Lol.
l hope you're right. I'm not really sure I'd know what distortion sounds like. Hopefully I'll know it when I hear it.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:18 PM
ZX2BY2U
Cruiser

I'll start looking for YouTube videos while I'm waiting to hear back on fitment for the DB Motos.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:49 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

This one is pretty good.

If you can't find the target voltage on your amp, you can use Ohm's law. V = Sq Root of P*R

V = Output voltage (your target voltage you are adjusting to on the volt meter)
P = Power (what level of power is your amp delivering to the channel being tuned)
R = Resistance (what resistance is the speaker seeing on the channel being tuned, typically 4 or 2 ohm)
Take the square root of PxR and that is the number you are looking for on the volt meter as you adjust the gain for the channel being tuned.

Use the 1 kHz 0db test tone.

I'm far from an expert, but using this video and the ohm's law calculation I got my system sounding pretty damn good in a short amount of time.

Zach

Old 03-16-2018, 04:10 PM
ZX2BY2U
Cruiser

My eyes sort of glazed over reading that Zach. Lol. Thanks for posting the link tho, I'm sure it'll help educate me.

On the DB moto fitment, I haven't heard back from anyone regarding pre-Rushmore RG applications. I did speak with tech support at DB and was told that those tweets protrude approximately 3/4" above the mounting flange. I'm sure some of this can be accommodated by the adapter rings, but how much is questionable do to a lack of thickness dimensions as I'm researching those, and probably varies considerably by brand. I believe these adapters will attach to the existing stock RG speaker mounts, so there could be some additional space in those. Stock grills may provide more as well.

Looks like I'm going to have to pull my outer fairing to check clearance dims from back of stock mounts to back of stock grills prior to ordering those DB Motos, or go with a more traditional surface mount coaxial.

Anyone able to chime in with adapter thicknesses, preferably with associated brand info?

Last edited by ZX2BY2U; 03-16-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Audio upgrade for novice RG owner