Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio upgrade for novice RG owner

Old 03-12-2018, 04:19 PM
ZX2BY2U
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Audio upgrade for novice RG owner

Hi, guys! Looking for a little help and appreciate your patience and input.

As the title indicates, I'm a novice to stereo installation. I'm looking to do a simple 2 speaker and amp upgrade, and hoping to self install same in my '07 Road Glide. I mostly listen to classic rock and blues via iPod or from my phone through an MPOW Bluetooth receiver plugged into the auxiliary port on the stock HK HU.

I'm not really comfortable with the idea of tuning and tweaking an amp, or fiddling with more complicated component speakers and crossover installations.

I've been reading and researching here and another forum, but would like some feedback prior to purchasing. Initially was leaning towards Biketronics 2180 kit with Titan II 7.1 speakers. I like that the amp is tried and true and plug and play, and don't mind paying a bit more for the ease of installation. I'm a bit concerned about the many comments about those speakers being overly 'bright' and harsh sounding. Not what I'm looking for. A lot of recommendations on the WDX6 Motos, but haven't been able to find any vids playing those alone, and vids aren't always the best way to review speakers anyway. Any other suggestions?

​​​​​​Budget is $900 all in. Would need speaker adapters and an amp mount as well.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by ZX2BY2U; 03-12-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:26 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

While I have a Street Glide and not sure if what fits in my SG will fit in your RG - what I will tell you is that there are a lot of great guys here that will help you thru your final choice project - that being said, don't talk yourself out of a project or components.
I was like yourself and now I just finished installing amp, fairing and rear speakers in the saddlebags lids - to be honest, it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be if you take your time and get the right things as there are many here that will help you along the way and at the end of the day, you will thank yourself and know a lot more about your bike.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:34 PM
ZX2BY2U
Cruiser

Oh, and no plans to add lowers, lids, or TP speakers in the future. Cost of matching custom ghost flame paint in addition to added audio components really wouldn't be worth it to me. Thx!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:55 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

One way to go is the cerwin vega b-54 amp bridged for the front and db wdx 6 motos. The amp you can get off amazon. The speakers off facebook from spork customs. That setup will do you justice and sound good. Another option for speakers is arc audio moto 602's. Both speakers are great sounding. That setup will be around $400 or so. BTW if your bike is 2014+ you will need bt355 line leveler for the stock hu.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 03-13-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:04 AM
ZX2BY2U
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guys.

TG, you're scaring be with that bridging talk! Lol.

My bike is an '07, so no need for the line levelers. I just looked at the CV B54 on Amazon. Looks like a big amp. Is that a better way to go than the BT 2180, or just cheaper? I thought BT amps had a pretty good reputation other than the lack of adjustability (which scares me). Sounds like you agree with my speaker choice. I like the DBs over the arc audio moto 602's due to their efficiency.

Any other speaker recommendations? How about amp mounts and speaker adapters?

Last edited by ZX2BY2U; 03-13-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

There are a bunch of great little amps for 2 speaker setups so take ur time on the research.

Regarding the BT2180, it's a solid amp when paired with many different full range speakers. The amp dials on other amps come in real handy when dealing with speakers that distort early in the game thus speaker selection becomes a bit more important w the 2180.

T.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:49 PM
ZX2BY2U
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tailwind
There are a bunch of great little amps for 2 speaker setups so take ur time on the research.

Regarding the BT2180, it's a solid amp when paired with many different full range speakers. The amp dials on other amps come in real handy when dealing with speakers that distort early in the game thus speaker selection becomes a bit more important w the 2180.

T.
Good to know. Thx! Would those Motos be a good match with the BT2180 as a stand alone fairing speaker? Other preferred speakers?

I know my desired install isn't as sexy or involved as a lot of the systems I see here, but I really do appreciate the input from you knowledgeable guys on this forum. I was directed here from another site for that very reason. I'm sure I'm not the only guy out there looking for a simple quality upgrade either. Thanks again for helping.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:53 PM
Dice21
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

For a single set of speakers, the CV B52 is hard to beat. Price is good, tunes well. I've had one in my last 3 bikes. I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:50 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

A JL 400/4 bridged to DD AW's with AT28 tweets is a solid system for a fairing only setup. So many combos to choose from can make your head hurt sometimes.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:09 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX2BY2U
Good to know. Thx! Would those Motos be a good match with the BT2180 as a stand alone fairing speaker? Other preferred speakers?

I know my desired install isn't as sexy or involved as a lot of the systems I see here, but I really do appreciate the input from you knowledgeable guys on this forum. I was directed here from another site for that very reason. I'm sure I'm not the only guy out there looking for a simple quality upgrade either. Thanks again for helping.
I would not use the BT 2180 with the Moto''s...the Moto's have a VERY high efficiency rating of 103.5 db, were as the 7.1's the 2180 is set up to run, have a 94db rating... without gains on the 2180 it might be a mismatch!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio upgrade for novice RG owner