Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voodoo 8.8 lowers and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 04:29 AM
Brandon Warrick
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voodoo 8.8 lowers and other questions

Before I go too far down the rabbit hole that is audio, I wanted to get a little more expert advice and views on what I am thinking of doing. I want a 4 speaker system, something that is simple but sounds good. I have been reading threads on here for a few days when I have time. I know from what little previous experience I have in car audio that 6.5's will really lack the bass Im looking for. I have been considering the option of getting the Voodoo 8.8 lowers. I by no means need audiophile level equipment but I do want something that would sound good. I was trying to stick with brands I am familiar with (JL, rockford, JBL, infinity, and alpine). I was thinking JL 6.5 components up front with the 8.8's in the lower with a good 4 channel amp to run them. I would like thoughts and input on the Voodoo 8.8 lowers as far as every ones experience with them. I have also considered maybe down the road throwing some 6x9's in the bags but Im not sold on that yet. This would be going on my new 2018 SGS (my first Harley and bagger).

Old 03-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

I think that would be a great setup with the right amp...a few guys on here have put the 8.8 lowers on there scoots..I do not have any personel expierence with them but have thought they would sound very good in that location..maybe this will bump you up for some one to chime in!

Old 03-17-2018, 12:09 PM
Brandon Warrick
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
I think that would be a great setup with the right amp...a few guys on here have put the 8.8 lowers on there scoots..I do not have any personel expierence with them but have thought they would sound very good in that location..maybe this will bump you up for some one to chime in!
Thank! I would like to get some input from somebody who has them installed with how they look and the sound improvement over regular 6.5s. I did read that focal is coming out with a nice new amp. I will continue reading up on it and get input before I shell out any cash.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:31 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Warrick
Thank! I would like to get some input from somebody who has them installed with how they look and the sound improvement over regular 6.5s. I did read that focal is coming out with a nice new amp. I will continue reading up on it and get input before I shell out any cash.
If you mean the Focal FDP Sport its out and guys are using it! BT also has a new amp 4250, 250 rms x4!

Old 03-17-2018, 09:28 PM
Brandon Warrick
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
If you mean the Focal FDP Sport its out and guys are using it! BT also has a new amp 4250, 250 rms x4!
I have heard of and checked out the BT4250 they both look like great amps with tons of power. I was wondering as the more I look into the audio portion the more I want add...its a sickness....is it possible or is there a good setup to run 6 speakers off one amp in the fairing. I am considering running 6.5's in the front, 8.8 in the lowers, and 6x9's in the bags. I dont want to take away from bag space and I am not a huge fan of the look with the 8.8 lids. Im not sure if this is possible but it would certainly be nice.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

I have heard of and checked out the BT4250 they both look like great amps with tons of power. I was wondering as the more I look into the audio portion the more I want add...its a sickness....is it possible or is there a good setup to run 6 speakers off one amp in the fairing. I am considering running 6.5's in the front, 8.8 in the lowers, and 6x9's in the bags. I dont want to take away from bag space and I am not a huge fan of the look with the 8.8 lids. Im not sure if this is possible but it would certainly be nice.
Running 3 different sets of speaks you are going to need a 6 channel amp of a 4 channel and a 2 channel at the minimum.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:11 AM
Brandon Warrick
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Running 3 different sets of speaks you are going to need a 6 channel amp of a 4 channel and a 2 channel at the minimum.
That is what I thought, I suppose if I just ran the 6x9's off their own amp I could find a small 2-channel amp that would take up minimal space inside the bag. I do feel as though the new amps that are pushing 4x250 would be an awful lot of power for most 6.5's I could in the front.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:38 AM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 111 Posts

That is what I thought, I suppose if I just ran the 6x9's off their own amp I could find a small 2-channel amp that would take up minimal space inside the bag. I do feel as though the new amps that are pushing 4x250 would be an awful lot of power for most 6.5's I could in the front.
That's what the gains control. It can push 250 watts, but also anything up to that point as well

Old 03-18-2018, 07:27 AM
Brandon Warrick
6th Gear

Originally Posted by USAproud
That's what the gains control. It can push 250 watts, but also anything up to that point as well
Oh ok that makes sense, lower the output on the 2 channels for the 6.5's. Im thinking of the infinity kappa in the fairing, JL 8.8 in lower fairing, and a good 6x9 (undecided) in bag lids eventually.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:04 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

You could use some 6.5's that will take advantage of that power, like the WDX Moto 6.5 coax, Beyma's, MMats, or PRV.

My personal preference: http://prvaudio.com/products/6-5-4-woofer/6mr500-ndy-4/

I think they would work well with the 8.8 lowers.

Quick Reply: Voodoo 8.8 lowers and other questions