Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick a warm 6.5" speaker with decent SPL

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 09:19 PM
Iworktofish
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help me pick a warm 6.5" speaker with decent SPL

Greetings,
Assembling an SQ system for my '17 SGS, and have everything except the speakers. Prefer a warm, non fatiguing sound, full range 80-20k with highs that are not bright or harsh. These are on my shortlist, though I have not heard any of them:

• DD AW + tweeters (everyone likes DD, higher end of my budget)
  • SP 6.5CM + tweeters (leaning toward these, read they are an SQ speaker that also has SPL...within my budget, can buy 2pr for fairing/lowers, but few are using, and can hardly find any reviews)
  • Euphoria EPC6K (read these are like DD but much more SPL, much less $, but can't find a single review except for 1 video)
  • WDX6Moto (read these are like kappa's, but with a little more bass, more aggressive highs, and get loud)
The rest of my system, and notes:
  • Kenwood 998 HU (may swap for a Sony double din)
  • JL M600/6 Amp, going in the fairing
  • Riding style: 40-60mph country roads. Rarely ever sit in a parking lot.
  • Genre: everything, but on the bike 80% country (with some club, rock, latin, rap mixed in)
  • Will start with 6.5" fairing coax or separates, run ch's 1/2 & 3/4 bridged getting 200watts/ch
  • If not enough, will add pods to my existing lowers, then either coax or pro audio, unsure. If pro audio, probably run off ch's 5-6 at lower wattage to not overpower the warm fairing speakers. Otherwise I'll get the same 6.5" as in fairing, run 4 on 4 channels, leaving 2 channels for tweeters.
  • May possibly add Twisted 8 lids, but unlikely for now as I do not want to add additional amps or give up bag space
  • Preference for a 6.5 that fits inside the rushmore pod w/o having to spend $200 on BT adapters. (Would rather put that $200 toward better quality speakers)
I have been following many of you regulars, researching for months and can't decide. My 1st setup was great SQ...warm, non fatiguing, sounded great in the garage LOL, but had no SPL.

Considered going pro audio, then heard a setup using 2 PRV's with ST25's on a JL 400/4. I was impressed with how insanely loud it played, but lacked warmth, was not full range, and I'd probably get a headache after an hour.

I just completed a build for a friend using 4 Kappa's in fairing/lowers running off a SS PN4.1000D. I initially made fun of him for using all budget gear, but honestly was impressed how smooth this budget setup sounded...good volume, decent bass (I wasn't expecting any) but I had to cut the higher frequencies just a bit as it was a bit bright. If I went with this setup, I'd probably be chasing the unicorn next year.

So, please help me pick a set so I can finish this project before the weather turns. And thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

I have dd aw in mine. I recently installed the wdx6moto in a friends bike. I thought the Motos were loud but reminded me of nails on a chalk board. I tested the Epc6k against my aw in my bike. They sounded much smoother and warmer than the moto but lacked the bottom end that the aw have. The down side to the aw is that they need power, the DB are much more efficient. 75 Watts made the Epc6k as loud as 200 on the aw. That’s my unprofessional opinion.

Last edited by InthewindMN; 04-16-2018 at 09:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by InthewindMN:
Iworktofish (04-16-2018), Moto Mike (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:51 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Great damn organized research brother!!!!!!

With that amp, which is a good one btw, u might be able to get away with the EPC6 in the fairing off 1/2, SP CM6 in Lowers 3/4, and some pretty efficient 6x9s in the lids off 5/6 like the VOs. If u run 8s it might require a different wiring strategy and a micro amp under the hood powering lowers and bridge the JL for the 8s.

The Resilient RS in the fairing would also be an option and would pair well w the SPs, just not as efficient as the EPCs.

Just have to get a little low end hit in the mix from the rear stage at some point. JL880s are without question the best full range 8s on the planet.

All great choices!!!!! Again, nice job on the organized approach to this audio stuff as it can be really damn overwhelming.

T.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tailwind:
Iworktofish (04-16-2018), sliazafoxx35 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:59 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
I have dd aw in mine. I recently installed the wdx6moto in a friends bike. I thought the Motos were loud but reminded me of nails on a chalk board. I tested the Epc6k against my aw in my bike. They sounded much smoother and warmer than the moto but lacked the bottom end that the aw have. The down side to the aw is that they need power, the DB are much more efficient. 75 Watts made the Epc6k as loud as 200 on the aw. That’s my unprofessional opinion.
Nailed it!!!! The AWs are an incredible speaker but need solid juice. Did a dude by side with the EPCs and AWs and the efficiency difference was dramatic. A lot of similarities in sound but if given the correct power the AWs will be better SQ as the German engineering is the real deal. My bud left the EPCs in based on the efficiency, respectable SQ, not to mention half the cost.

T.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tailwind:
Iworktofish (04-16-2018), Moto Mike (04-17-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 11:34 PM
Iworktofish
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
VERY HELPFUL! So I can probably take the Moto's off the list. I'd like to have bottom end from the AW's + the SPL, warmth and smoothness from the EPC6K's...but once the bike gets rolling that bottom end I believe becomes much less important. And I spend no listening time in the parking lot. Thank you for the input!

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Great damn organized research brother!!!!!!

With that amp, which is a good one btw, u might be able to get away with the EPC6 in the fairing off 1/2, SP CM6 in Lowers 3/4, and some pretty efficient 6x9s in the lids off 5/6 like the VOs. If u run 8s it might require a different wiring strategy and a micro amp under the hood powering lowers and bridge the JL for the 8s.

The Resilient RS in the fairing would also be an option and would pair well w the SPs, just not as efficient as the EPCs.

Just have to get a little low end hit in the mix from the rear stage at some point. JL880s are without question the best full range 8s on the planet.

All great choices!!!!! Again, nice job on the organized approach to this audio stuff as it can be really damn overwhelming.

T.
This forum makes research easy, and I've read and saved notes from many of your posts. So thanks for your input brother.

I may very well end up with something in the lids...but initially I'd like to stick to budget, and I'm concerned with the magnet taking up space. My daughter's 1/2 helmet and my laptop go in each bag, along with a leather jacket, vest, heated liner, spare gear for her, jump pack, tool kit, etc, etc, etc. It's those times when you start out on a ride, sun goes down or front comes in and you're thankful for bag space to add or remove layers. That's why I liked the Twisted 8 lids that push the speaker up and angled. But I'm hoping I'll be happy enough with fronts and lowers by themselves.

2 responses in and my list is getting pretty narrowed. I'm leaning toward buying either a set of EPC6K's or SP 6.5CM's to start with, though I'll probably end up with both.

Have either of you, or anyone else, heard both and can give some input on the differences. If the SP 6.5CM has better SQ, warmth and bottom end, I may go with 2pr of them for fairing/lower and then add a tweeter for the 10-20khz range where the SP starts to roll off. Or would one set of each SP + EPC be better? Thoughts?

Last edited by Iworktofish; 04-16-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:03 AM
azmaniac
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

All off 1 jl audio 600/6

The following 3 users liked this post by azmaniac:
Bafflingbs (04-17-2018), BUSAGLIDE (04-26-2018), Iworktofish (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 12:04 AM
azmaniac
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by azmaniac:
Bafflingbs (04-17-2018), Iworktofish (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 05:24 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

If you are using a 600/6 you have tons of wiring options. If you want warmth I’d go with the AW’s on channel 1/2 and 3/4 bridged then use 8ohm speaker in mono on chan 5/6. That could be lowers or 8’s in lids. The few SP’s I heard in Daytona weren’t impressive and the Motos while not bad for budget speakers don’t compare in SQ to a high end speaker. Lots of wiring options out there depending on you build strategy. Do you want more SPL or more low end from the fairing (you really can’t have both).

The following 2 users liked this post by haze324:
Iworktofish (04-17-2018), Moto Mike (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:46 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Nice Job Mike! Bike looks and sounds awesome!

Old 04-17-2018, 08:38 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

FYI. The Epc6k will fit in the factory fairing pods if you remove a couple of the internal webs.

The following users liked this post:
Iworktofish (04-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Help me pick a warm 6.5" speaker with decent SPL