Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overwhelmed audio

Old 04-25-2018, 09:44 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by EricsnNC
Would the WDX6 work for the back speakers too or do those need to be 5 1/4?
As those speakers are some of the best bang for the buck, they require a lot of modification to fit in the pods including grill mods. just sayin....

The following users liked this post:
EricsnNC (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 10:02 PM
EricsnNC
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikes145, yes I am planning on keeping the stock head unit. I would greatly appreciate the line out converters. My email is ericsnnc@hotmail.com. I still can’t PM yet. Thank you so much!

Old 04-26-2018, 07:41 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

They are a bit pricey but I was able to fit the AD Designs CX62 6 1/2" speakers into the rear pods on my 2010 UC easily using 1/2" spacers. The grills that came with the speakers worked perfectly. After I noticed how far they intruded into the passenger seat I got some custom 1/4" spacers off of Ebay and they fit much closer to the pods, almost flush.

With the 1/2" spacers you need eight screws. Four to hold the spacer ring to the pod and four shorter screws to hold the speaker to the spacer. I liked that with the 1/4" spacers I only needed four screws. They went through the speakers and spacers and then into the pods. It was a little tricky getting everything to line up but I think it was worth it.

The 1/4" spacers didn't come with holes so you can drill them out to match whatever speakers you feel like using.

This pic here shows the AD 6 1/2" speakers with 1/2" spacers before I re-mounted them with the 1/4" rings.

I wound up getting some black stainless steel #8 screws off of Ebay to use which cleaned up the look a little bit.

Last edited by Hoyt 1911A1; 04-26-2018 at 07:47 AM.
EricsnNC (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 07:50 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

Also Eric once you decide on an amp check to see if it has high level inputs. You may not need line output converters.

I would definitely run that past the smart folks once you make your decision though.

Another option may be sending your stock HK head unit to Iron Cross Audio over in Henderson to have industry standard low level preamp outputs installed. That would be an additional expense though. Either way will work fine it just simplifies the wiring a little bit.

EricsnNC (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 08:26 AM
EricsnNC
Advanced

Hoyt, yeah definitely going to ask y’all before getting an amp. I have seen some post about amps and I think I lost a few IQ points trying to follow them. I think I got the front speakers nailed down, WDX6 motos. Working on the rear speakers next. I will get y’all to review my “wish list” before I buy anything. I figured I’d just buy one part at a time and put it up till I have everything I need. Then I can start the install once I have everything. Will take some time but I’d rather do it right once then have to keep buying replacement parts. Once again, I greatly appreciate all the help and advice!

Old 04-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,106 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Eric, so far we have a set of DB Motos to go in your fairing. It appears you have a generous offer of line convertors. We also have a set of Polk Audio Mm652's to go in the tour pack. Still working out some other details. Will keep you up to date.

The speakers at this point are the largest expense and we've got that covered.

Thanks to all so far!!!!!

EricsnNC (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 02:49 PM
EricsnNC
Advanced

Dsm Limited, I sent you a text. I still can’t PM ��. I can’t say enough to thank everyone for everything. I am blown away! I am just in awe. I thought you were just talking about getting a list together for me. I know the items are not cheap at all. I am just can’t say thank you enough! God bless everyone one of y’all,

Old 04-26-2018, 03:07 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

Eric just a few more posts and you will be able to PM. If you feel like it hop on to some of the other sub forums here and just say hi and you will be at the limit in no time.

To a lot of the folks here it is an honor to help a veteran that has been through some tough times. I remember after my wife died folks I didn't even know came out of the woodwork to help and I was forever more grateful. It made the worst of times just a little bit easier.

BTW you may want to ask a dealership if your bike was affected by the brake fluid recall. If so you might get some free brake fluid out of the deal.

EricsnNC (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 05:39 PM
EricsnNC
Advanced

Hoyt, I read in the newby area that it is five days and five post. I got the post so I guess in a couple days I will be good to go.

I am am just blown away with everyone reaching out. I sent Dsm Limited a text because I was a little emotional and wanted to keep it short on here. I just can’t thank everyone enough!

I just got got my brake system flushed under the recall at Hometown HD, my local dealership. I found out about on the HD website when I entered in my vin. Turns out the guy that worked on my bike was a MP with me in the Army. Small world.

i just want to say thank you again to everyone that has helped out with everything. I just can’t thank everyone enough!

Old 04-27-2018, 05:29 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by EricsnNC
Mikes145, yes I am planning on keeping the stock head unit. I would greatly appreciate the line out converters. My email is ericsnnc@hotmail.com. I still can’t PM yet. Thank you so much!
Just letting you know that I haven't forgot about you. I'm still looking for the loc's and I think they're somewhere in the garage somewhere. I'll email or pm you when/if I find them.

EricsnNC (04-27-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overwhelmed audio