Amp and speakers install - Harley Davidson Forums

Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp and speakers install

Old 05-18-2018, 07:26 AM
354mag
Default Amp and speakers install

I have installed a boss audio amp and handlebar speakers on my 2017 road king. I have a 15 amp inline fuse. I did not wire it into any any system on the the bike. It is wired independent through a 15 amp toggle switch directly to the battery. The toggle seitch is installed in the same wire as the fuse.The speakers and amp work great with no issues other than every time I turn off the system the inline fuse blows. It doesn't matter if I use it 10 minutes or 2 hours. I am directly wired to the positive and negative terminals of the battery. I just assumed the battery was already grounded and i did not need to run an additional ground. Is this my problem? If so, how should i go about grounding it? If not, what could be the issue? Does it matter that i have the rocker switch in same wire as fuse? Should i move the rocker switch to the other wire? Thanks for any help!

Last edited by 354mag; 05-18-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Forgot to add some information
Old 05-18-2018, 08:09 AM
GalvTexGuy
Road Warrior

It sounds like when you toggle the switch, something on the switch is going directly to ground and blowing the fuse. Do you have a DMM? If so, check the switch contacts to ground and see if you have continuity.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 AM
354mag

I do not have a DMM and to be honest I don't know jack about wiring or electrical. Just trying to add some tunes to the ride without hurting the pocket.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:38 AM
Stew_FL
One Of The Regulars

Originally Posted by 354mag View Post
I have installed a boss audio amp and handlebar speakers on my 2017 road king. I have a 15 amp inline fuse. I did not wire it into any any system on the the bike. It is wired independent through a 15 amp toggle switch directly to the battery. The toggle seitch is installed in the same wire as the fuse.The speakers and amp work great with no issues other than every time I turn off the system the inline fuse blows. It doesn't matter if I use it 10 minutes or 2 hours. I am directly wired to the positive and negative terminals of the battery. I just assumed the battery was already grounded and i did not need to run an additional ground. Is this my problem? If so, how should i go about grounding it? If not, what could be the issue? Does it matter that i have the rocker switch in same wire as fuse? Should i move the rocker switch to the other wire? Thanks for any help!
What Boss set up? Is a 15amp fuse what they recomend? Seems lite, but not familiar with their products.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:43 AM
354mag

Originally Posted by Stew_FL View Post
What Boss set up? Is a 15amp fuse what they recomend? Seems lite, but not familiar with their products.
Boss mcbk470b. 1000 watt. I tried upping the fuse to 20 amp and still blows. Not sure I should go any larger

Old 05-18-2018, 08:56 AM
Outkast6991
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 354mag View Post
Boss mcbk470b. 1000 watt. I tried upping the fuse to 20 amp and still blows. Not sure I should go any larger
most guys run 40-60 amp fuses inline on the power wire. Not sure on your setup

Old 05-18-2018, 08:58 AM
Stew_FL
One Of The Regulars

The specs only call for a 10amp fuse so like Tex said, your switch might be going to ground when you toggle.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:20 AM
InthewindMN
Road Master

If your system is drawing power when you flip the switch it can create a amperage spike when you open the contacts.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:54 PM
GalvTexGuy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 354mag
I do not have a DMM and to be honest I don't know jack about wiring or electrical. Just trying to add some tunes to the ride without hurting the pocket.
It might be a good time to learn, especially if you're installing amps and switches, plus upping fuse amperages beyond what is spec'd by the equipment you're installing, which is a big no-no.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: