Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trimming the PRV 6MR500-NDY for lower fairing

Old 05-19-2018, 11:07 AM
nfms39
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Trimming the PRV 6MR500-NDY for lower fairing

Is there an efficient way of trimming the PRV 6MR500-NDY to fit Lower Fairings? I have searched and read through a few posts discussing the speakers and the trimming process. Apparently, there are a few ways of trimming the square basket to make them "round" for lower fairings. I just want to do it right and not destroy them in the process.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:00 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by nfms39
Is there an efficient way of trimming the PRV 6MR500-NDY to fit Lower Fairings? I have searched and read through a few posts discussing the speakers and the trimming process. Apparently, there are a few ways of trimming the square basket to make them "round" for lower fairings. I just want to do it right and not destroy them in the process.

Thanks in advance.
i have a fixture for trimming them and re-drilling them

sent you a PM

Old 05-20-2018, 07:14 AM
Nitrochicken
Road Master
Received 153 Likes on 87 Posts

I trimmed the big sections off with a jigsaw and finished the details with a 4-1/2” flap disc on an angle grinder. Not too difficult, just take your time and don’t let them get too hot!

Old 05-22-2018, 01:21 PM
cfave
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have Beymas and they too have a square flange,

1) tape them up to cover the basket to not allow anything to get into the voice coil and speaker. I used a couple layers of newspaper and a good masking tape.
2) scribe a line to give yourself a line to grind to
3) I used a stationary grinding wheel and ground down the corners. I was able to control the amount coming off and the heat build up and made it as close to circular as I could
4) use a small drill bit to drill a "guide" hole for a larger bit that will allow the size screw you decide to use.
5) make sure the speaker is completely clean before you remove the tape and paper.

It took me about a 45 minutes to do both speakers. Its not hard to do. It is just one of those things, when you start, you have to see it through to the end!
Take your time and it will be fine.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:31 PM
qcarson
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog

i have a fixture for trimming them and re-drilling them

sent you a PM
Hello Yooperhog,

Just wondering how I could go about getting a fixture for trimming my 6MR500's? Is it something easy to make?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:10 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Carson I’ve always used a speaker grill back for a 6.5. Just lay it over the speaker from the back and center it up and draw your cut marks. Cut with a jigsaw, clean up with a sanding disk. Then use the same speaker grill backing which should now fit around the speaker properly to mark your holes for drilling.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:49 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by slodsm
Carson I’ve always used a speaker grill back for a 6.5. Just lay it over the speaker from the back and center it up and draw your cut marks. Cut with a jigsaw, clean up with a sanding disk. Then use the same speaker grill backing which should now fit around the speaker properly to mark your holes for drilling.
^^^^^^^
And mask the living hell out of the guts of the speaker or it won't last very long. Keep an eye on the heat generated when cutting as to not get too damn hot. It's about 3 beers per speakers vs the anticipated 1 beer per speaker.

T

Old 07-30-2019, 02:59 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

I bolted the stock Harley speaker to mine worked well. I rounded all 4 of my 6mr500s. I prefer the flap disc to the jig saw or bench grinder. The bench grinder loads of fast and the jig saw was just awkward as hell for me. As with most things there are a bunch of ways to get it done. Just offering my experience.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:36 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Damn I never thought about bolting it to another speaker. That’s a good one too. I just had a butt ton of 6.5 grill backs laying around from all the different speakers I’ve tried so it seemed like my best option.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:52 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by qcarson
Hello Yooperhog,

Just wondering how I could go about getting a fixture for trimming my 6MR500's? Is it something easy to make?

Thanks in advance for the help.
PM me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trimming the PRV 6MR500-NDY for lower fairing