Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 street glide special wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:22 AM
SASKMUDDER
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 street glide special wiring help

Good Day Guys,
I am hoping for a little help here. I have virtually no stereo experience but am pretty handy with the tools. I recently bought a 2014 Street Glide Special wich came upgraded with a couple amps and speakers. The system sounds ok while bike is in accessory mode and not running but as soon as its running it gets all distorted especially on the heavy rock I like to listen to. I pulled the front fairing off to find a birdsnest of an install. Wires hanging & bundled everywhere. Definitely not a professional install.

COMPONENTS USED
FACTORY HEAD UNIT
JL AUDIO AMP MX280/4 & SPEAKERS C1-650X FOR THE FRONT FAIRING
JL AUDIO AMP MX280/4 & SPEAKERS C2-570X FOR THE REAR BAGS
2 X BIKETRONICS BT355 UNIVERSAL LINE LEVELERS. THESE ARE ZIP TIED TO THE STEREO MOUNT WITH NOTHING HOOKED UP TO THEM???

HOW AMPS ARE WIRED
FRONT SPEAKERS

PINK/GREY (LF- SPEAKER) & PINK/ORANGE(LF+ SPEAKER) COMING OUT OF HEAD UNIT ARE CUT. ONE SIDE IS SPLICED INTO A SINGLE MALE RCA PLUG AND THEN TAPPED INTO RCA FRONT IN CABLES WITH A SPLITTER. THE OTHER SIDE GOES TO SPEAKERS
AMP MOUNTED ON TOP OF HEAD UNIT
AMP POSITIVE TO BATTERY
AMP NEGATIVE TO BATTERY
REM NOT USED
FL+ NOT USED
FL- TO PINK/ORANGE (FACTORY LF+)
FR+ NOT USED
FR - TOPINK/GREY (FACTORY LF-)
RL+ TOPINK (FACTORY RF+)
RL- NOT USED
RR+ NOT USED
RR- TOPINK/BLACK (RF-)
RCA FRONT IN PINK/GREY (LF- SPEAKER) & PINK/ORANGE(LF+ SPEAKER) COMING OUT OF HEAD UNIT ARE CUT. ONE SIDE IS SPLICED INTO A SINGLE MALE RCA PLUG AND THEN TAPPED INTO RCA FRONT IN CABLES WITH A SPLITTER. THE OTHER SIDE GOES TO SPEAKERS
RCA REAR IN NOT USED

REAR SPEAKERS (NON CVO, ADDED AFTER)
PINK/BLACK (RF- SPEAKER) & PINK (RF+ SPEAKER) COMING OUT OF HEAD UNIT ARE CUT. ONE SIDE IS SPLICED INTO A SINGLE MALE RCA PLUG AND THEN TAPPED INTO AMP FRONT IN RCA CABLES WITH A SPLITTER. THE OTHER SIDE GOES TO SPEAKERS
AMP MOUNTED ON TOP OF HEAD UNIT
AMP POSITIVE TO BATTERY
AMP NEGATIVE TO BATTERY
REM NOT USED
FL+ TORR+ (NON FACTORY WIRING)
FL- NOT USED
FR+ TORR- (NON FACTORY WIRING)
FR - TOLR- (NON FACTORY WIRING)
RL+ NOT USED
RL- TOLR+ (NON FACTORY WIRING)
RR+ NOT USED
RR- NOT USED
RCA FRONT IN PINK/BLACK (RF- SPEAKER) & PINK (RF+ SPEAKER) COMING OUT OF HEAD UNIT ARE CUT. ONE SIDE IS SPLICED INTO A SINGLE MALE RCA PLUG AND THEN TAPPED INTO AMP FRONT IN RCA CABLES WITH A SPLITTER. THE OTHER SIDE GOES TO SPEAKERS
RCA REAR IN NOT USED

I was hoping I could get some advise on how to clean this up, get rid of distortion and wire in the line levelers if required. Money is tight right now so I would like to keep the components already installed.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Outkast6991
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Post some pics especially the bt355's and rca connections

Old 05-21-2018, 11:15 AM
SASKMUDDER
Novice

First pic is of the pink/orange & pink/grey wires into one RCA cable which is then wired into the amp "front in" cables using a splitter.

The line levelers are the universal with blade connections for the speakers. Nothing wired to them, they were just zip tied to the head unit mount.

Steve

Old 05-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Are they line levelers (bt355) or loc's (Pac sn)

Old 05-21-2018, 01:38 PM
SASKMUDDER
Novice

2 x biketronics bt355 universal line levelers. Just like the one on the right.

Last edited by SASKMUDDER; 05-21-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:48 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Are the rcas going from the LL to the amp?

Old 05-21-2018, 01:54 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Ok Lets start at the beginning. Out of the HU the wires have been cut. So they (both channels) will have to be wired to the bt line leveler directly. You have identified which is + and -. The LL also has + and - on the input side. Once those are wired(no permanent wiring yet) then rca (male to male) cables from out of the LL to the rca input to the amp. That should get the wiring set at least for the front 2 speakers to the amp.

Now are both amps in the fairing? If not where are they? From the pic, you are not using the rear output from the HU so no fade is in play and using the rca splitter to the rear speakers. One step at a time.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:05 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Just saw the pic of your LL. Four wired one for you is 2solid white is + and 2/white/black stripe are-. In your install you will not need but just one LL as the rear channels off HU are not in play.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 05-21-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:15 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Once you get the input right, the out of the amp (to speakers) wire direct the left to the left speaker and rt to the rt speaker. Easy peasy. Get that done and then we will combat the rear speakers.

You will need heat shrink butt connectors for the permanent wire connections.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 05-21-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:15 PM
SASKMUDDER
Novice

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Ok Lets start at the beginning. Out of the HU the wires have been cut. So they (both channels) will have to be wired to the bt line leveler directly. You have identified which is + and -. The LL also has + and - on the input side. Once those are wired(no permanent wiring yet) then rca (male to male) cables from out of the LL to the rca input to the amp. That should get the wiring set at least for the front 2 speakers to the amp.

Now are both amps in the fairing? If not where are they? From the pic, you are not using the rear output from the HU so no fade is in play and using the rca splitter to the rear speakers. One step at a time.
Thanks TG but I am not sure what you are asking me to do as far as the stock wires which were cut and wiring them to the line leveler. The line levelers have two female rca ports (red & white) and four wires (white, white/black, grey & grey/black)

Both amps are mounted in the fairing.
Thanks,
Steve

Quick Reply: 2014 street glide special wiring help