Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One amp for entire set up

Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 PM
Supertrkr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One amp for entire set up

Hey guys,
Gonna go with the Readers Digest version here.
I'm getting new bags and fender for my bike and dont want to drill excessive holes in new bags. Ive looked at the bag amp kits. Trying avoid that route. I am looking to go from 2 amps down to one amp in fairing to power my system if possible. No real budget. Will buy new amp tray if necessary. Would the new Focal FDP amp be sufficient or maybe the Hertz HDP4? Thanks in advance.
Current set up:
Sony XAV-AX5000 Head Unit
Hertz Legend 6.5 components in fairing
Hertz Mille Pro 6x9 in lids
RF TM400X4AD in bag
BT 4180 in fairing

Old 06-14-2018, 09:34 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

What bike?

Old 06-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Supertrkr
Hey guys,
Gonna go with the Readers Digest version here.
I'm getting new bags and fender for my bike and dont want to drill excessive holes in new bags. Ive looked at the bag amp kits. Trying avoid that route. I am looking to go from 2 amps down to one amp in fairing to power my system if possible. No real budget. Will buy new amp tray if necessary. Would the new Focal FDP amp be sufficient or maybe the Hertz HDP4? Thanks in advance.
Current set up:
Sony XAV-AX5000 Head Unit
Hertz Legend 6.5 components in fairing
Hertz Mille Pro 6x9 in lids
RF TM400X4AD in bag
BT 4180 in fairing
Focal amp will power that all day long.

The 4180 alone would power it too but without ***** that amp no worky for above agerage Joe or more aggressive tunes.

My Focal has not seen the Arkansas side of the 12 o'clock on the amp gains.

T.

The following users liked this post:
Supertrkr (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Supertrkr
Novice

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
What bike?
2015 Street Glide Special. Included everything but that. Lol

Old 06-14-2018, 09:47 PM
Supertrkr
Novice

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Focal amp will power that all day long.

The 4180 alone would power it too but without ***** that amp no worky for above agerage Joe or more aggressive tunes.

My Focal has not seen the Arkansas side of the 12 o'clock on the amp gains.

T.
Was hoping you’d chime in T. I’ve been doing a ton of reading on here your advice is taken to the bank.
If I decide to run lowers, can I run fairing and lowers in parallel and the lids off the rear channel?

Old 06-14-2018, 10:22 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

can I run fairing and lowers in parallel and the lids off the rear channel?
I don't know if that amp would do that or not but most folks do NOT want to have fairing and lowers on the same channel. The reason being is the fairing speakers are close to you and pointing straight at your noggin. The lowers are farther away and pointing at your midsection. Given the same wattage going to each speaker which is what will happen when you parallel them you will not be able to hear the lowers at all once you crank the volume up.

When I have the gains set properly for the front channel which is on the fairing and the rear channel which is on the lowers I have to run the fader a good bit towards the rear to give the lowers more volume. This makes for a really nice and balanced sound that you could not get without that adjustment option.

What I did do was run the lowers and rear pods on the same channel. Depending on which helmet I am wearing I can't hear the rears as much as I may like but they are there and the front sound stage is really nice with the proper balance of fairing versus lower speakers.

The smart folks may be able to give you better advice on that but they will usually tell you it is best to have the fairing speakers on their own channel.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Supertrkr
Novice

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
I don't know if that amp would do that or not but most folks do NOT want to have fairing and lowers on the same channel. The reason being is the fairing speakers are close to you and pointing straight at your noggin. The lowers are farther away and pointing at your midsection. Given the same wattage going to each speaker which is what will happen when you parallel them you will not be able to hear the lowers at all once you crank the volume up.

When I have the gains set properly for the front channel which is on the fairing and the rear channel which is on the lowers I have to run the fader a good bit towards the rear to give the lowers more volume. This makes for a really nice and balanced sound that you could not get without that adjustment option.

What I did do was run the lowers and rear pods on the same channel. Depending on which helmet I am wearing I can't hear the rears as much as I may like but they are there and the front sound stage is really nice with the proper balance of fairing versus lower speakers.

The smart folks may be able to give you better advice on that but they will usually tell you it is best to have the fairing speakers on their own channel.
I appreciate the advice. To be completely honest I'm thinking the lowers arent going to happen. Just tossing around things. I'm definitely dead set on trying to get one amp for the entire set up tho.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:04 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Supertrkr
I appreciate the advice. To be completely honest I'm thinking the lowers arent going to happen. Just tossing around things. I'm definitely dead set on trying to get one amp for the entire set up tho.
you can add a micro amp in the cb hole to run lowers if you need later. There are a few combinations to run 2 amps in that bike fairing.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:31 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Hell the tm400 will supply enough power for the speakers you currently have. Im running the milles in the lids off that amp alone and they sound good. With the right tune that tm400 should power what you currently have with great SQ.