One amp for entire set up - Harley Davidson Forums

Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One amp for entire set up

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 PM
Supertrkr
Supertrkr is offline
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Az
Posts: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default One amp for entire set up

Hey guys,
Gonna go with the Readers Digest version here.
I'm getting new bags and fender for my bike and dont want to drill excessive holes in new bags. Ive looked at the bag amp kits. Trying avoid that route. I am looking to go from 2 amps down to one amp in fairing to power my system if possible. No real budget. Will buy new amp tray if necessary. Would the new Focal FDP amp be sufficient or maybe the Hertz HDP4? Thanks in advance.
Current set up:
Sony XAV-AX5000 Head Unit
Hertz Legend 6.5 components in fairing
Hertz Mille Pro 6x9 in lids
RF TM400X4AD in bag
BT 4180 in fairing
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:34 PM
InthewindMN's Avatar
InthewindMN
InthewindMN is online now
Road Warrior
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,320
Thanked 85 Times in 80 Posts
Default

What bike?
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Tailwind
Tailwind is offline
Elite HDF Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Woodlands TX
Posts: 3,926
Thanks: 0
Thanked 394 Times in 353 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Supertrkr
Hey guys,
Gonna go with the Readers Digest version here.
I'm getting new bags and fender for my bike and dont want to drill excessive holes in new bags. Ive looked at the bag amp kits. Trying avoid that route. I am looking to go from 2 amps down to one amp in fairing to power my system if possible. No real budget. Will buy new amp tray if necessary. Would the new Focal FDP amp be sufficient or maybe the Hertz HDP4? Thanks in advance.
Current set up:
Sony XAV-AX5000 Head Unit
Hertz Legend 6.5 components in fairing
Hertz Mille Pro 6x9 in lids
RF TM400X4AD in bag
BT 4180 in fairing
Focal amp will power that all day long.

The 4180 alone would power it too but without ***** that amp no worky for above agerage Joe or more aggressive tunes.

My Focal has not seen the Arkansas side of the 12 o'clock on the amp gains.

T.
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tailwind For This Useful Post:
Supertrkr (06-14-2018)
  #4  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Supertrkr
Supertrkr is offline
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Az
Posts: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by InthewindMN View Post
What bike?
2015 Street Glide Special. Included everything but that. Lol
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:47 PM
Supertrkr
Supertrkr is offline
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Az
Posts: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Focal amp will power that all day long.

The 4180 alone would power it too but without ***** that amp no worky for above agerage Joe or more aggressive tunes.

My Focal has not seen the Arkansas side of the 12 o'clock on the amp gains.

T.
Was hoping youd chime in T. Ive been doing a ton of reading on here your advice is taken to the bank.
If I decide to run lowers, can I run fairing and lowers in parallel and the lids off the rear channel?
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-14-2018, 10:22 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Hoyt 1911A1 is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Southern Virginia
Posts: 524
Thanked 37 Times in 37 Posts
Default

can I run fairing and lowers in parallel and the lids off the rear channel?
I don't know if that amp would do that or not but most folks do NOT want to have fairing and lowers on the same channel. The reason being is the fairing speakers are close to you and pointing straight at your noggin. The lowers are farther away and pointing at your midsection. Given the same wattage going to each speaker which is what will happen when you parallel them you will not be able to hear the lowers at all once you crank the volume up.

When I have the gains set properly for the front channel which is on the fairing and the rear channel which is on the lowers I have to run the fader a good bit towards the rear to give the lowers more volume. This makes for a really nice and balanced sound that you could not get without that adjustment option.

What I did do was run the lowers and rear pods on the same channel. Depending on which helmet I am wearing I can't hear the rears as much as I may like but they are there and the front sound stage is really nice with the proper balance of fairing versus lower speakers.

The smart folks may be able to give you better advice on that but they will usually tell you it is best to have the fairing speakers on their own channel.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Supertrkr
Supertrkr is offline
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Az
Posts: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1 View Post
I don't know if that amp would do that or not but most folks do NOT want to have fairing and lowers on the same channel. The reason being is the fairing speakers are close to you and pointing straight at your noggin. The lowers are farther away and pointing at your midsection. Given the same wattage going to each speaker which is what will happen when you parallel them you will not be able to hear the lowers at all once you crank the volume up.

When I have the gains set properly for the front channel which is on the fairing and the rear channel which is on the lowers I have to run the fader a good bit towards the rear to give the lowers more volume. This makes for a really nice and balanced sound that you could not get without that adjustment option.

What I did do was run the lowers and rear pods on the same channel. Depending on which helmet I am wearing I can't hear the rears as much as I may like but they are there and the front sound stage is really nice with the proper balance of fairing versus lower speakers.

The smart folks may be able to give you better advice on that but they will usually tell you it is best to have the fairing speakers on their own channel.
I appreciate the advice. To be completely honest I'm thinking the lowers arent going to happen. Just tossing around things. I'm definitely dead set on trying to get one amp for the entire set up tho.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-15-2018, 07:04 AM
InthewindMN's Avatar
InthewindMN
InthewindMN is online now
Road Warrior
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,320
Thanked 85 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Supertrkr View Post
I appreciate the advice. To be completely honest I'm thinking the lowers arent going to happen. Just tossing around things. I'm definitely dead set on trying to get one amp for the entire set up tho.
you can add a micro amp in the cb hole to run lowers if you need later. There are a few combinations to run 2 amps in that bike fairing.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-15-2018, 07:31 AM
travelingypsye's Avatar
travelingypsye
travelingypsye is online now
Road Master
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: indiana
Posts: 1,250
Thanks: 0
Thanked 124 Times in 118 Posts
Default

Hell the tm400 will supply enough power for the speakers you currently have. Im running the milles in the lids off that amp alone and they sound good. With the right tune that tm400 should power what you currently have with great SQ.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
OhioSkully
Gear and Other Items For Sale
3
06-11-2017 09:06 AM
2008crossbones
Dyna Parts
8
03-24-2012 07:48 AM
2008crossbones
Softail Parts
4
03-23-2012 03:43 PM
Hoopman
Motorcycle Parts For Sale-Misc. Parts
0
08-24-2006 03:33 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: One amp for entire set up


Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: