Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accidental rain test of Sony XAV-AX5000

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Big trucker
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
And I was just about ready to pull the trigger!!! Thanks for the info. Gonna stick w the Boom I think.

T
I had one in my cart online and at the last second bought a 6.5 boom instead. I need waterproof

Old 08-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Big trucker
I had one in my cart online and at the last second bought a 6.5 boom instead. I need waterproof
Exactly!!! Very glad this fine gentleman reminded me why the Boom HU does have very significant big picture benefits.

T

Old 08-14-2018, 07:22 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,107 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Big picture benefits like the screen that shows the pictures?
lol

Old 08-14-2018, 08:08 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
And I was just about ready to pull the trigger!!! Thanks for the info. Gonna stick w the Boom I think.

T
The midwest winter is soon approaching there may be other options for headunit cover openings coming soon
(The gears are already turning)

Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Talked to RF last week and their new HU is 9-12 mo. out. I should know more as it gets closer.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,107 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyboy
The midwest winter is soon approaching there may be other options for headunit cover openings coming soon
(The gears are already turning)
That'll be enough of the winter talk!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2018, 10:48 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I had to post an update to my dismal picture of my radio from last week. It seems this thing has gone through several transitions in the process of drying out the screen. The first day (last week Tuesday night's storm) was just like the OP picture. It had a little condensation in the lower corners. The second day was the one I posted where the cloudy like spots were taking over the screen. The next few days the dim cloudy areas took over mostly the whole screen (Friday/Saturday). A day or 2 later I had a few faint lines across the screen and yesterday it was completely fine.

I did remove it and open it up. The inside was fine ( I don't believe any water got in). It just seems condensation that gets in the LCD takes time to dissipate depending how bad it is. I'm sure it won't fair well too many times if it happens again.
I took some waterproofing steps and sealed a few holes (still leaving the rear vents open) and added and trimmed black vinyl where the screen meets the bezel. I think it will be 100% better seeing that is where it looks like it gets in. The vinyl only covers where the black part of the screen is so I'm not loosing any screen area by putting it on.

Smitty

The following users liked this post:
oldbie (05-30-2019)
Old 08-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Smittyjf
I had to post an update to my dismal picture of my radio from last week. It seems this thing has gone through several transitions in the process of drying out the screen. The first day (last week Tuesday night's storm) was just like the OP picture. It had a little condensation in the lower corners. The second day was the one I posted where the cloudy like spots were taking over the screen. The next few days the dim cloudy areas took over mostly the whole screen (Friday/Saturday). A day or 2 later I had a few faint lines across the screen and yesterday it was completely fine.

I did remove it and open it up. The inside was fine ( I don't believe any water got in). It just seems condensation that gets in the LCD takes time to dissipate depending how bad it is. I'm sure it won't fair well too many times if it happens again.
I took some waterproofing steps and sealed a few holes (still leaving the rear vents open) and added and trimmed black vinyl where the screen meets the bezel. I think it will be 100% better seeing that is where it looks like it gets in. The vinyl only covers where the black part of the screen is so I'm not loosing any screen area by putting it on.

Smitty

Smitty,
Do you have an updated pic. Make some of these guys to include myself feel better.
But, glad it worked out.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:55 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Recieved my Shimmy cover today, so I'll have that protection if needed.

However, i have been looking into some waterproofing ideas. I wish i had a broken sony 5000 to use for tinkering.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:29 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Juice
Smitty,
Do you have an updated pic. Make some of these guys to include myself feel better.
But, glad it worked out.
I put vinyl around the edges where the screen meets the plastic bezel. This seems where the moisture could get in and get behind the lcd screen. The lines in the screen are from taking the pic with a phone not from the damage. Everything is back to normal.

Smitty

The following users liked this post:
ChosenDFW (12-03-2018)

Quick Reply: Accidental rain test of Sony XAV-AX5000