Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Problem, 2018 CVO Limited

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 04:55 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Stereo Problem, 2018 CVO Limited

Hey, I got an issue I was wondering if anyone had an idea about. Yes, I know it is warranty and I already have a service appointment for Fri. I am just hoping to get lucky and have someone say, "Yeah same thing happened to my buddy's bike and it was XXXX.".

Anyhow all my sound goes in and out 100% whenever it feels like it. Riding along listening to Sirrus and suddenly silence. Happens when listening via USB, FM and weather band also. It some random point in the future ( 2 seconds - 2 plus hours) it suddenly comes back like nothing happened. Sometimes it only comes back and works for a second, sometimes for an hour. When it goes on / off it is instantaneous, no static or anything. Suddenly there is no sound or suddenly there is sound (scared the **** out of me once!).

It has nothing to do with going over bumps. I can go over a set of bad RR tracks and nothing happens and then suddenly cruising along on new asphalt it goes on or off.

I tried turning off Bluetooth and the headphones, nothing.

Obviously HD is going to fix this issue under warranty I just want to avoid 6 trips to the dealer as they fumble around trying to figure it out.

So what do you guys think?

Old 08-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,162 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Each audio portion of the Boom system is operated on its own volume. If you're listening to music, you adjust that volume separate from the Nav prompt volume. CB, communication and phone volume are all separate controls.
It's very possible your coms are set to on and on VOX with the volume muted. It's also possible that navigation is running in the background with the nav prompts on mute. If a communication, nav prompt, phone ring or alert comes through while listening to music, it mutes the music and takes precedence. If those volumes are low or muted, you wouldn't know it or hear it. Many have been fooled by that. I would check there first.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:18 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
Each audio portion of the Boom system is operated on its own volume. If you're listening to music, you adjust that volume separate from the Nav prompt volume. CB, communication and phone volume are all separate controls.
It's very possible your coms are set to on and on VOX with the volume muted. It's also possible that navigation is running in the background with the nav prompts on mute. If a communication, nav prompt, phone ring or alert comes through while listening to music, it mutes the music and takes precedence. If those volumes are low or muted, you wouldn't know it or hear it. Many have been fooled by that. I would check there first.
Thanks for the try, but no to all.
Tried adjusting volumes on each source. All the way up or down and anywhere in the middle made no difference.
Turned the entire stereo all the way off several times. I did notice that if the stereo worked when I shut the bike down it always seemed to work at least for a second when I started it up.
Made sure the VOX was set to off.
You are saying the music will silence for and hour plus because of a Nav prompt? Actually at first I thought it might be that. But turning Nav on or off and turning prompts on or off made no difference. Also No sound means no prompts either.
I turned off the ALL the bluetooth so the phones can not be involved in anyway.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:23 PM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Thanks for the try, but no to all.
Tried adjusting volumes on each source. All the way up or down and anywhere in the middle made no difference.
Turned the entire stereo all the way off several times. I did notice that if the stereo worked when I shut the bike down it always seemed to work at least for a second when I started it up.
Made sure the VOX was set to off.
You are saying the music will silence for and hour plus because of a Nav prompt? Actually at first I thought it might be that. But turning Nav on or off and turning prompts on or off made no difference. Also No sound means no prompts either.
I turned off the ALL the bluetooth so the phones can not be involved in anyway.
Sure sounds like you have a bad head unit.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,162 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I'm going to have to agree. If none of the other trys had an effect, I'm going with bad head unit.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:40 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Try a reset.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:45 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
Try a reset.
OK, how do I do a reset?