Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 ultra drop in speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 10:14 PM
mcampbell7435
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 ultra drop in speakers?

Recently purchased an 18 ultra limited this is my first bike with an audio system. So of course I want to replace these garbage HD speakers. The Hertz HCX 165, Infinity Kappa & Polk MM652 all seem to be popular replacements in my budget. So my question is are any of these speakers going to be "drop in replacements" for fairing & TP our will I need adapters, grills etc to make them work? Speakers will be installed with SS SM4 amp. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:29 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

The first thing you will need is a bt breakout harness for the limited to curve the drastic eq signal coming from the boom head unit. Depending on the speakers being used, that amp will be hard pressed to deliver enough to be heard at speed. It is rated at 90w x4 using a 4 ohm speaker. The ss pn4.1000 is a better choice for a scooter as it is rated 140w x4 and that will be needed to hear at speed. A very popular speaker for the pods are the polks being water resistant but may need spacers to put in the pods. im not sure on a 2018. The hertz wont drop in the front pods but need to be put inside the pods with some modification being done to the pods. Not sure about the new kappas since I have not run those. Harley is making it harder to adapt aftermarket audio to their setup as they want you to buy the overpriced boom upgrades but if there is a will, there is a way. With a little work, all is possible.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:50 AM
mcampbell7435
Novice

Appreciate the advise..Thanks a bunch

Old 08-19-2018, 08:55 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Most folks have been able to get the Polks in the TP pods by rotating them and not using the existing screw holes in the pods. I had the Boom H-D grills so to line up the bar and shield correctly I used 1/4” spacers. The grills that come with the Polks are fugly. You will need as least one Biketronics BT 355 line leveler unless you want to keep the fade functionality. If you want fade then you need two or you can buy an Ultra wiring kit from Biketronics that includes the breakout harness mentioned above and two BT 355s. If you give up the fade functionality you can skip the breakout harness and use the line leveler for the SG that connects to the front speaker connectors.

Some people have managed to fit the Hertz in the stock fairing pods without modifications. However, I think they changed the pods in 2017 and later because I was not able to do that on my wife’s Ultra.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:49 PM
mcampbell7435
Novice

Great Info. Thanks!
Can I assume that the BT breakout harness will work with other brand amps? BT amp would ruin my budget...

Old 08-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,106 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by mcampbell7435
Great Info. Thanks!
Can I assume that the BT breakout harness will work with other brand amps? BT amp would ruin my budget...
The breakout harness works wih all aftermarket amps.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:24 PM
Wmbailey5
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I just put the RF complete system on my 2017 Limited. TM400X4AD amp, RFKHD wiring harness which includes tour pack and the TS 65 speakers in fairing and TP.

Everything fits and is plug and play with no cutting wires or drilling or modifications. Took just under three hours. Worst part was getting the fairing pods out and then back in.

Sound is is better than OEM at cruising speeds. Sound is very loud And clear. You don’t have the base or thump and really won’t unless you get a sub and then you lose a saddle bag.

Downside- u lose fade function and treble/bass settings are gone.

I did the install myself for $1,000 and had flashed. I wanted better sound within a budget and that is what I have.

You can upgrade for less Or pay more for a much better system. There are great people on the HD Forum that can weigh in and provide great advice.

The following users liked this post:
mcampbell7435 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Wmbailey5
I just put the RF complete system on my 2017 Limited. TM400X4AD amp, RFKHD wiring harness which includes tour pack and the TS 65 speakers in fairing and TP.

Everything fits and is plug and play with no cutting wires or drilling or modifications. Took just under three hours. Worst part was getting the fairing pods out and then back in.

Sound is is better than OEM at cruising speeds. Sound is very loud And clear. You don’t have the base or thump and really won’t unless you get a sub and then you lose a saddle bag.

Downside- u lose fade function and treble/bass settings are gone.

I did the install myself for $1,000 and had flashed. I wanted better sound within a budget and that is what I have.

You can upgrade for less Or pay more for a much better system. There are great people on the HD Forum that can weigh in and provide great advice.
So you got a amp, wire harness and two sets of 6.5” speakers for $1000?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

I'm still scratching my head regarding guys finding value in the RF packages. They have one amp and a lid kit I would purchase (without the speakers) but other than that their stuff is good for john boat anchors and target practice.

Far better bang for the buck investing just a small amount of sweat equity into creating your own custom sled audio upgrades.

And yes, the "plug and play" concept is total bullshix. U can still plug into the HD harnesses without using these overpriced marketing gimmicks.

Just sayin.

T

Old 08-21-2018, 10:56 PM
Wmbailey5
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I appreciate ur perspective and to each their own. ur reply supports my point that there is more than one way to solve your equipment and sound needs. Keep reading but one day you need to land the plane and put a system in ur sled. If you don’t like it you can always replace it.

Quick Reply: 18 ultra drop in speakers?