Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bracket options for 8" in bags

Old 08-28-2018, 10:51 AM
GLW Mike
Club Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Bracket options for 8" in bags

I'm trying to plan out best way to mount 8" speakers in back corner (or front i guess is option) of saddlebags,facing wheel. I see the American Hardbags ones and they really look like a nice setup with grills,etc...but they are $379 for a pair of brackets.

Would just using a spacer, say 1/2" and bolting speaker to bag be rigid enough? I just dont see many options when i google.

Obviously, when i mount these things and cut holes,etc..I want to make sure it's done correctly and not have issues,etc.

thanks

I think the back corner would be best or i suppose all the way to front of bag.. Just want to maximize remaining space.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Stuntmeat
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I too was curious about this after seeing the American hard bags brackets.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by GLW Mike
I'm trying to plan out best way to mount 8" speakers in back corner (or front i guess is option) of saddlebags,facing wheel. I see the American Hardbags ones and they really look like a nice setup with grills,etc...but they are $379 for a pair of brackets.

Would just using a spacer, say 1/2" and bolting speaker to bag be rigid enough? I just dont see many options when i google.

Obviously, when i mount these things and cut holes,etc..I want to make sure it's done correctly and not have issues,etc.

thanks

I think the back corner would be best or i suppose all the way to front of bag.. Just want to maximize remaining space.
Mike,
What you got going now? LOL
Just like apes, if you want 8's go with 10's. alway go bigger than what you think. Otherwise, you will always question your choice.
I have heard the Cresendo 10's mid-bass and they rock.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:06 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

I am interested in this also. I am thinking of making a 1/2 inch wood "plate" that fits in the rear corner of the bags and attaching the speaker to the plate and then securing the speaker and wood support plate to the bag from the outside of the bag with 4 screws or carriage bolts or a combination of both! If possible, a threaded insert (molly) of some sort imbedded in the wood plate that you could screw a carriage bolt into, and that was secure would be ideal, but I don't know if something like that exists! Most of the installs I have seen use wood rings, with carriage bolts going thru the bags from the outside that go thru the wood ring and also the speaker frame to hold securely. Hard to thread and secure the bottom bolts that way, that's why I was trying to figure out a way to secure the plate with speaker already attached from the outside of the bag! Going to Menards or Home depot to check out what type of materials I could use?? Thought from guys that have already done this??

Old 08-28-2018, 02:11 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member

Originally Posted by Juice
Mike,
What you got going now? LOL
Just like apes, if you want 8's go with 10's. alway go bigger than what you think. Otherwise, you will always question your choice.
I have heard the Cresendo 10's mid-bass and they rock.
lol.. I know...i know... but i think i will need a little boom boom to fill things in. Nothing crazy needed but 8s will fit better than 10s. I hate even giving space up in bags...but..

MM, i thought about doing same, but using 3/8" nylon ,etc instead. Router everything like wood. Then seal a piece of prefilter material to keep water out.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:18 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member

My dads company specialized in fabricating all kinds of parts for bottling industry with various plastics. He is since gone and company sold...otherwise his guys could have made me anything. It was nice when i was younger, had access to all machines to make anything.

Im gonna check with him about getting some nylon or similar...see if he knows where.

Easy to pay $100 for a set and be done, but $379 just doesnt make sense.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by GLW Mike
lol.. I know...i know... but i think i will need a little boom boom to fill things in. Nothing crazy needed but 8s will fit better than 10s. I hate even giving space up in bags...but..

MM, i thought about doing same, but using 3/8" nylon ,etc instead. Router everything like wood. Then seal a piece of prefilter material to keep water out.
Mike,
Try it with a drilled pattern before cutting a 8" hole. We think it acts a little like a old school band pass box. Plus, once you cut a 8 inch hole it is hard to go back.
Hit up Tailwind, he may have some advise for you as well.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:24 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member

Originally Posted by Juice
Mike,
Try it with a drilled pattern before cutting a 8" hole. We think it acts a little like a old school band pass box. Plus, once you cut a 8 inch hole it is hard to go back.
Hit up Tailwind, he may have some advise for you as well.
I agree.. small hole pattern like you did. If needed, can cut more i guess. The American Hardbags use a full mesh grill, but im thinking small holes like your 6x9...may generate more boom.. dont really know.

Tailwind has been a big help to me already... as well as many others here!

This system better rock when im done...

Old 08-28-2018, 02:59 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

The drilled hole pattern is intriguing, especially since I heard Juice's 6x9's. I think the only way to tell if it works is to do 1 bag one way (drilled) and the other bag the other way (hole) and hear the difference, and I don't think anybody is going to do that! My thought is if the drilled pattern really works (less air movement with drilled pattern) some speaker designer somewhere at some company in the history of speaker design...WOULD HAVE FIGURED THIS MIRACLE OUT LONG AGO, I have my doubts that's all I'm saying! Please flame away my $.02

Old 08-28-2018, 03:11 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

i made speaker rings out of 1/2 inch Starboard Plastic, no rust no moisture, no rot. blend a bit with a flapper roll, mount in rear corner of the bag, treated speaker cloth layered between the ring and the hole cut in the bag., 4 fasnters though the bag, ring and speaker. mounts firm and so far no water intrusion. worked way better than i though it would. just remember to measure and size things up 2x and cut 1x.
marco

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bracket options for 8" in bags