Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmon Kardon died

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 04:29 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts
Default Harmon Kardon died

It’s been great for about 10 years, but the last 3 it’s been getting worse, finally pulled it out, bundled it up to ship to iron Cross Audio for their $250 rebuild. I’m struggling. What have y’all experienced?

Old 09-19-2018, 06:46 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

I've had good luck with their service. While it is there you might want to have them add front and rear preamp outputs. It makes adding an amp dead simple, just like an aftermarket unit. I did that and am able to expand my system as I see fit and I still kept all the Harley specific functions such as CB, AVC, weather band, and intercom.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

They do that, I’m on my 4th in 100000 miles

Old 09-19-2018, 07:32 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I suggest you also get their backlight conversion if you do any riding at night.
Here is my radio with their white backlight conversion.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l#post13509233

Old 09-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

I'll chime in a little info about my experience with the preamp outputs IC added.

I got one of those Rockford Fosgate TM400x4ad amps that has the detailed adjustment procedure with the CD to set input and output levels. They say to put the CD in and pick a track and turn up the volume on the head unit until the light comes on (with speakers unplugged). The light indicates the input signal is clipping. I was able to turn the volume all the way up before the light came on. I mean one notch from wide open and the signal was still clean.

If someone wants all the bells and whistles then I can understand getting an aftermarket head unit, but since these things play MP3 CDs I don't really miss bluetooth and things such as that. If I really want to listen to my phone I have a RAM mount for it and can just plug it in. If someone wants the thumb controls to work with Bluetooth you can buy a SaddleTramp module and it will mate to your phone and you can control the tracks from the bars.

All in all I really am pleased with the sound I have with still being able to keep the stock look and functionality. Unless someone pulls the fairing or looks in the clutch side bag things really don't look to be modified much at all, but when you crank it up it will get as loud as you can stand at any speed.

I should also note that the clean low level signal allows AVC to work just fine. I live in the country and travel a lot of twisty back roads where speeds range from 35 to 55 constantly. I keep AVC set on the fourth notch and it works great. The thing is with AVC on these old HK head units it stops turning up the volume at about 50 mph, so if I get off on a major highway with higher speed limits I don't have to worry about it getting too loud. I don't know if it would work this well with the speaker level outputs and an amp as I have never tried it.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:01 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
I've had good luck with their service. While it is there you might want to have them add front and rear preamp outputs. It makes adding an amp dead simple, just like an aftermarket unit. I did that and am able to expand my system as I see fit and I still kept all the Harley specific functions such as CB, AVC, weather band, and intercom.
yes I saw all the upgrades available. It looks easy to spend 1k on the radio. I’m happy with what I had.
Thanks

Old 09-19-2018, 05:03 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
They do that, I’m on my 4th in 100000 miles
So you’re only getting 25k from each repair? That’s not impressive!

Old 09-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member

And I’ll reiterate, I’m trying to get it repaired to what it was as cost effective as possible. (Cheap)

Old 09-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

I have seen several forum users have to swap out aftermarket head units every few years because they are mostly designed for cars, not motorcycles. It is helpful to keep in mind the difference. These things are subjected to direct sunlight, extreme heat and cold, rain, and much harsher vibration than a head unit in a car would be. I really do not think it is realistic to expect the same amount of longevity in a sled environment.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:35 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood

I have over 80,000 miles on my HK radio since the Iron Cross repair five years ago and it's still working perfectly.

Quick Reply: Harmon Kardon died