Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 SGS Audio Upgrade Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 06:12 PM
smlosches@yahoo.com
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be a stupid question, but hell that's never stopped me before!
With the 2 speaker system I am considering in this post, will there be any need for concern about the current draw?

I run heated gear sometimes in the spring/fall or up in elevations. Any concern with running new stereo system and heated gear?

Thanks No U Glider for the heads up, I have acquired the Focal FDP Amp, now on the hunt for speakers.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:41 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

No need to worry about battery drain. I run full heated gear plus the audio.
I do keep it on a battery tender once a week.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:14 AM
cfave
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

OP, Just a suggestion. I ran a fairing only set up for about 6 months and then added PA speakers to my lowers and was impressed by how much better the sound was, the clarity in the music as well as the overall volume I got from the set up. Look at Advan Black lowers. They run about $279 and are much less expensive than the HDs but, are damn near 100% just like the HDs. Overall adding the PA into the lowers was a great improvement in sound while rolling 70+. The good thing is, PA speakers are usually highly efficient and do not require the power to get the volume and provide a clear concise sound.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:29 AM
hooter57
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by smlosches@yahoo.com
Thanks all for the replies to date.

Ok, I am decently handy from a mechanical sense. Feel I could definitely do the install myself with a little help/advice.

The reason I originally asked if I should pay for someone to do it is more on setting up the audio. Flashing? Tuning it? Don't want a good setup sounding poor because I am a novice from an audio sense.

Is that something that I can be talked through relatively easily?

Tailwind, would the setup DROD used work well with factory head unit? Did that setup utilize a line leveler, no need to flash?

I am not needing to go on the cheap necessarily, can afford to get good stuff. More trying to decide if I can save some money doing it myself or better off to hire it out? And looking for the experts advice on what is good stuff. Of course the manufacturers all say their stuff is good!
You can definetly do it yourself. Just listen to the audio gurus on this forum! Hell, I've done my own like four times now! Like Tailwind said, do it right the first time and you be
won't sorry. But where's the fun in that? I probably could saved myself a thousand bucks doin it right the first time.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by hooter57
You can definetly do it yourself. Just listen to the audio gurus on this forum! Hell, I've done my own like four times now! Like Tailwind said, do it right the first time and you be
won't sorry. But where's the fun in that? I probably could saved myself a thousand bucks doin it right the first time.
Good theory!
But, once you get bit by the audio bug. This never ends. The more you have, the more you will want.
"Maybe a little more low end"
"Maybe a little more volume"
"Maybe this amp will be warmer with these speakers"
"What if I add these horns instead of these tweeters"

There is no first time and if there is, I will buy the 1st round of adult beverages.

Juice

Old 11-01-2018, 11:11 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Juice
Good theory!
But, once you get bit by the audio bug. This never ends. The more you have, the more you will want.
"Maybe a little more low end"
"Maybe a little more volume"
"Maybe this amp will be warmer with these speakers"
"What if I add these horns instead of these tweeters"

There is no first time and if there is, I will buy the 1st round of adult beverages.

Juice

I'll buy the next round. And just to add, Juice you caused me to get the sony.........thanks buddy........Damn glad I did now.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye

I'll buy the next round. And just to add, Juice you caused me to get the sony.........thanks buddy........Damn glad I did now.
Gypsye,
IMHO, I just think it is easier to make it sound good.
Waterproof meh! I only ruined 1 deck with water but that was a hell of a storm. I have been caught now about 4 times with the Sony and all is well.

Juice

Old 11-01-2018, 11:25 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Juice
Gypsye,
IMHO, I just think it is easier to make it sound good.
Waterproof meh! I only ruined 1 deck with water but that was a hell of a storm. I have been caught now about 4 times with the Sony and all is well.

Juice
Ive been caught twice with no effect on mine but I still have that little gremlin that ask me if I waterproofed it enough. I agree with you that it makes the setup sound better.....much better. As I am learning this pro audio stuff, I thought I needed a dsp but I don't think so as the 10 eq on the sony works well with tuning and I can find that sweet spot using it and with horns, you most certainty need that tuning ability.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:30 PM
smlosches@yahoo.com
Advanced

Thanks for the added thoughts/suggestions!

Just don't think I want to add either lowers or Speakers in the Bag lids.

If I went to 4 speakers, it would probably be rear pods. Any suggestions for rear pods and speakers?

Old 11-03-2018, 08:10 AM
smlosches@yahoo.com
Advanced

Quick Reply: 2019 SGS Audio Upgrade Suggestions