Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 SGS Audio Upgrade Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:03 AM
smlosches@yahoo.com
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 SGS Audio Upgrade Suggestions

New guy here. Just want to add amp and upgrade fairing speakers for now. Probably want a 4 channel amp for future options.

Suggested amp, speakers. Line leveler? Wiring kit?

​​​​​​​Audio novice here, better off just paying someone else to do it?

Old 10-16-2018, 06:16 AM
Respect
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If you're generally a sloppy mess when it comes to handywork let someone else do it. If you're more on the patient and organized side, do it yourself. There's plenty of help here.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:00 AM
DROD13
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smlosches@yahoo.com
New guy here. Just want to add amp and upgrade fairing speakers for now. Probably want a 4 channel amp for future options.

Suggested amp, speakers. Line leveler? Wiring kit?

Audio novice here, better off just paying someone else to do it?
​​​​​​​Check my recent post out here. Instead of messing around a bunch of different times, save yourself some trouble and do it once and do it right.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:09 PM
smlosches@yahoo.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by DROD13
Check my recent post out here. Instead of messing around a bunch of different times, save yourself some trouble and do it once and do it right.
What head unit are you using in that setup, DROD?

I want to keep the new Infotainment head unit on my 2019. Wondering if will still get good results?

Old 10-16-2018, 02:48 PM
DROD13
Cruiser

What head unit are you using in that setup, DROD?

I want to keep the new Infotainment head unit on my 2019. Wondering if will still get good results?
You can get good results from the factory head unit. I replaced my head unit for other reasons. My head unit is from BikeTronics, its an Alpine ILX-107 that they put a custom enclosure around to be water resistant.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:02 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by DROD13
​​​​​​​Check my recent post out here. Instead of messing around a bunch of different times, save yourself some trouble and do it once and do it right.
That right there is some of the best damn audio advice someone could give!!!

For most folks that tend to always lean forward in life and want the best for their overall situations, playing small ball in audio is EXTREMELY damn costly. Take ur time, identify your personal finish line, save ur cash, and go big at the right point in time. Patience is a huge virtue in audio.
The only time small ball will work in audio is if u have a damn solid plan and execute it in a methodical & disciplined fashion with each move being in a direct line with the defined outcome.

Trust me, I'm the dumbshix that plays small ball. Fun a shix but my money bonfire is blazing!!!!!

T

The following users liked this post:
arlington (10-20-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 03:06 PM
DROD13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tailwind

For most folks that tend to always lean forward in life and want the best for their overall situations, playing small ball in audio is EXTREMELY damn costly. Take ur time, identify your personal finish line, save ur cash, and go big at the right point in time. Patience is a huge virtue in audio.
The only time small ball will work in audio is if u have a damn solid plan and execute it in a methodical & disciplined fashion with each move being in a direct line with the defined outcome.

Trust me, I'm the dumbshix that plays small ball. Fun a shix but my money bonfire is blazing!!!!!

T

Old 10-16-2018, 10:54 PM
smlosches@yahoo.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tailwind

T
Thanks all for the replies to date.

Ok, I am decently handy from a mechanical sense. Feel I could definitely do the install myself with a little help/advice.

The reason I originally asked if I should pay for someone to do it is more on setting up the audio. Flashing? Tuning it? Don't want a good setup sounding poor because I am a novice from an audio sense.

Is that something that I can be talked through relatively easily?

Tailwind, would the setup DROD used work well with factory head unit? Did that setup utilize a line leveler, no need to flash?

I am not needing to go on the cheap necessarily, can afford to get good stuff. More trying to decide if I can save some money doing it myself or better off to hire it out? And looking for the experts advice on what is good stuff. Of course the manufacturers all say their stuff is good!

Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Thanks all for the replies to date.

Ok, I am decently handy from a mechanical sense. Feel I could definitely do the install myself with a little help/advice.

The reason I originally asked if I should pay for someone to do it is more on setting up the audio. Flashing? Tuning it? Don't want a good setup sounding poor because I am a novice from an audio sense.

Is that something that I can be talked through relatively easily?

Tailwind, would the setup DROD used work well with factory head unit? Did that setup utilize a line leveler, no need to flash?

I am not needing to go on the cheap necessarily, can afford to get good stuff. More trying to decide if I can save some money doing it myself or better off to hire it out? And looking for the experts advice on what is good stuff. Of course the manufacturers all say their stuff is good!
You can definitely do the entire install yourself. We won't leave u hanging.

Danny has an aftermarket HU but with the Boom HU all u will need is the Biketronics Line Leveler that serves a couple purposes but for the install it simply allows u to plug into the stuck HU outputs. No cutting factory wires!!!!! And yes, his setup will work damn fine with the Boom HU as those speaker have very good qualities that don't require much tuning / EQing at all.

Get ur arms around ur budget. We can all assist with just about any reasonable budget but stay focused on one and done strategy. Chat w Danny about what he had before and what he has now Listen to as many setups as possible.

Just take ur time brother and get exactly what ur ears want. This will be damn fun and damn rewarding.

Start making a shopping list and post it and guys will help add to it or help adjust based on your budget and end state goals.

Item # 1 =. Biketronics Line Leveler
Item # 2 = Amp installation wiring kit for sleds
Etc...

T

The following users liked this post:
Jando (05-30-2019)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:20 PM
smlosches@yahoo.com
Advanced

Ok, this is what I am currently thinking:

Saddlebag and Tourpak space is important to me. I take many trips and the GF has no concept of the meaning of "pack lightly"!!

Don't think I will ever want to sacrifice that space, so want to accomplish a good upgrade in sound with just upgrading the amp and fairing speakers.

I also want reliability. I bought the bike to ride it, so I will get caught in rain showers. Don't want to worry about damaging the speakers when I wash the bike, etc.

Ideally, I want a system where if I play the music loud, it can handle it. Don't want to invest a great deal of $'s and then cook the amp or blow the speakers. One that can be played fairly loud and still not distort.

So, I was originally leaning towards the following: My bike is 2019 Street Glide Special

1) Use the factory HU (pretty firm on this)
2) Focal Sport 4 channel
3) Hertz MLK 165.3
4) BT355 Line Leveler
5) BT Amp Mount
6) BT114 Speaker Brackets
7) Do I need speaker rings and/or Tweeter mounts?
8) Wiring kit?

Are the Hertz a good choice considering my criteria above? Or will I need to be careful with them when washing the bike or getting caught in rain shower? Better option?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Quick Reply: 2019 SGS Audio Upgrade Suggestions