Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: Best 2 Speaker set up Battle of the Pro Audio Coax

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:39 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by MisteredEd

So running the Beymas with a stock HU on a 15 RGS, what kind of power is needed to make the Beymas really sound great? What amp would you recommend?

thnx
Originally Posted by haze324
They Beyma's are likely significantly louder than the Hertz due to their horn driver. The Hertz will be more accurate but not as loud. The fit in the RG pods with a small cut on the side of the pod to fit the magnet. Check out this thread. OP is running those speakers with a DSP I tuned for him.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...setup-rgs.html
Haze, what crossovers would you run on the Beyma's?

Old 11-15-2018, 06:23 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes300
Haze, what crossovers would you run on the Beyma's?
Mike I would spend the money on a DSP vs a passive crossover. I’m sure it can be done and work. I did an install with no crossovers just to using the amp to test it out and it worked well, but no comparison to a sound processor you can really dial in.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:05 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Mike I would spend the money on a DSP vs a passive crossover. I’m sure it can be done and work. I did an install with no crossovers just to using the amp to test it out and it worked well, but no comparison to a sound processor you can really dial in.
ya I hear ya, just trying to not have to rewire everything. even though I know that's the best route.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:16 PM
sbeamer
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default answer ?

Originally Posted by dbdicker
Hi Haze --

The Faital looks like an easy drop in for my 16 SG -- no need to cut holes for tweets or secondary horns. I like that. You said pair it with a good amp -- what good amp? I've seen plenty of guys here like the JL as warmer than the Focal -- I can get a used 600/4 for around $350, and I've never seen these class D amps go bad. What do you think? Do I need the BT brackets for the Faitals? What wiring kit would you suggest? Anything else I'm missing to make this simple 2-channel upgrade? Thanks!
Did this question get answered? I'm considering the Faitials also.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:31 PM
sbeamer
Road Captain

I've been riding around the past few weeks with two speakers in my fairing, determined to find something that I would consider the best two speaker set up and it's come down to the Beyma 6XC200Nd and the Faital 6HX150 Coaxial speakers. While both are considered pro audio speakers, any they each have a compression tweeter/horn attached to them...they are both very different! To add some context I've been riding a 2015 RG, with a Sony XAV5000 radio, a Sound Digital 800.4 amplifier and a JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Here are my thoughts!

Beyma 6CX200DNd
Holy cow do these things sound good.....AND, they pound! The woofer on this speaker has a rubber surround similar to to your traditional coaxial speaker end not the paper cone with W surround that most pro audio speakers have. They're spec'd out to play down to 60hz and it was incredible the amount of bass these speakers produce. The downside is they are 92db sensitive, while it would still be considered efficient compared to a traditional coaxial like a Hertz Mille Pro, it requires MUCH more power to get as a loud a PRV 6MR500 or a Beyma 6G40. The compression driver is loud, in a good way and doesn't play in the super tweeter freqs (18k-20k) so while loud, it's not ear piercing bright. The vocals really come thru with these. You WILL have to tone down the compression driver as it will drown out the woofer at the same volume. Around town and up to about 70mph I could hear the bass thumping and the vocals clear as day. I was impressed, there was a fullness there that is super pleasing to listen to and the rubber surround has real bass extension like a subwoofer sounds. Once I hit 85-90mph all of that was washed away by wind, road noise, etc and all you are left with is the compression driver, and to be honest at 90mph I think a 6G40 is more pleasant to listen to than a compression driver, however the 6G40 and/or PRV will NEVER, EVER, EVER have the bass this speaker has under 75mph. That to me was the major difference here. I like this speaker tons and hands down holds the number 1 spot for a complete sound from a 2 speaker bike. Now you wanna hear the downside....they don't fit the 14+ SG's. They're pretty deep speakers, pics below. (Price on these are around 315.00 each) note: I know some shops are using the 5.25 version in the SG's and they have similar specs, always an option.

Faital 6HX150. This thing is pure elegance. Its a lighter speaker, and at first it looked like it just had a tweeter connected to the back of it...but once I looked thru the dust cap I could see Faital designed it with smaller waive guide (horn) thru the vent pole. It's just covered up. The speaker is slightly more sensitive than the Beyma at 93db and spec'd to play similarly low. What I found is the bass is different. The Faital woofer is more inline with your traditional pro audio speaker, the bass wasn't a low deep bass, it was a nice hard punch that's easily heard on the road. It was loud bass. What I really liked about the Faital is the woofer plays much more vocals and relies less on the tweeter for vocals so it sounds more like what I'm used to. The tweeter on this thing is just that...a tweeter it plays higher freqs similar to your Herts ST25, B3's, etc. I find this speaker at 240.00 each to be a more practical speaker than the Beyma. Without question the Beyma plays lower and the horn plays louder....this is just a cleaner "package", lighter, and fits! No cutting of the RG pods fo this to slide in, I rode with them for a bout a week and the best news about these is they fit in the fairing of 14+ SG's (with some mods to the pods) I plan on using these quite a bit on installs. For the life of me after hearing these two speakers I can't ever imagine using regular coaxial on a two speaker set up when these are available. So much good and LOUD sound.

If I had to pick it would be a toss up between the two. Generally speaking the Beyma is a better quality speaker (it should be with a higher cost), but I think riding style would make a difference in my choice, also if I had enough power for them as well. So it's hard to say one is better than the other....likely there's a better one for certain applications.

Pics below for you to check out. For size comparison. I'll also add that I've done the Beymas on a stock radio, flashed, with a Stinger amp, no DSP's just capacitors and crossovers so you don't need all the fancy stuff...although HIGHLY recommended. Hit me if you have questions!

I see these are 8 ohm. Is this why they don't play as loud? Is 180 amps @ 4ohms enough to power them?

Old 02-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,107 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by sbeamer
I see these are 8 ohm. Is this why they don't play as loud? Is 180 amps @ 4ohms enough to power them?
Im not familiar enough with them YET, however if you run them in parallel you'll have a 4 ohm load. Depending on what you plan for the amp, you could bridge the amp and parallel the speakers for a double down on watts with a 4 ohm load.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:12 PM
sbeamer
Road Captain

do you have ant pics of the pod mods needed?

Old 02-18-2019, 07:19 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by sbeamer
do you have ant pics of the pod mods needed?
What kind of bike?

Juice

Old 02-18-2019, 07:26 PM
sbeamer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
Im not familiar enough with them YET, however if you run them in parallel you'll have a 4 ohm load. Depending on what you plan for the amp, you could bridge the amp and parallel the speakers for a double down on watts with a 4 ohm load.
Thinking of running these as a 2 speaker only setup. What else would be needed to complete the install?

Old 02-26-2019, 02:32 PM
sbeamer
Road Captain

15 streetglide sp

Last edited by sbeamer; 02-26-2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Quick Reply: Review: Best 2 Speaker set up Battle of the Pro Audio Coax