Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford Fosgate

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 01:55 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by USAproud
If you are only 1/4 volume at 80mph I doubt your gains are set correctly. Just my 2 cents
Nope. Hearing aids jacked wide open.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:27 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

I never pass 1/4 volume at over 80mph. I highly recommended.
If that is the case then you either have miracle amps or the gains are way to high. I have run a plethora of different speakers off a tm400 and ALWAYS had to run the volume up 2/3 to 3/4 to hear them. Sorry but as much as I put thru my tm400, I find it hard to believe 1/4 volume at 80 can be heard other than distance noise.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

If that is the case then you either have miracle amps or the gains are way to high. I have run a plethora of different speakers off a tm400 and ALWAYS had to run the volume up 2/3 to 3/4 to hear them. Sorry but as much as I put thru my tm400, I find it hard to believe 1/4 volume at 80 can be heard other than distance noise.
Ditto.

Those amps are designed to use speaker level inputs. There is no electronic switching present to adjust the voltage level from high input to low level, they just tell you to cut the RCA plugs off and wire the speaker wires from your head unit directly to them. When I ran my RCA outputs from my head unit to my TM400x4ad I wound up having to add a line driver to keep from having to crank the gains up to the point I got too much floor noise. I realize output voltages on head units can vary wildly but two other amps used with the same head unit did not have that issue. When I added the Arc PSM I had to boost the signal voltage going to that RF amp so it would track with the other amp in the setup.

That little gremlin aside I really do like those amps. The EQ adjustment they have can really tame speakers that tend to have too much midrange presence and with the included setup disc it is really easy to set the gains for your starting point of your tuning.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Its probably due to the tweeter in his lowers...LMAO!!

Old 01-08-2019, 03:48 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Ditto.

Those amps are designed to use speaker level inputs. There is no electronic switching present to adjust the voltage level from high input to low level, they just tell you to cut the RCA plugs off and wire the speaker wires from your head unit directly to them. When I ran my RCA outputs from my head unit to my TM400x4ad I wound up having to add a line driver to keep from having to crank the gains up to the point I got too much floor noise. I realize output voltages on head units can vary wildly but two other amps used with the same head unit did not have that issue. When I added the Arc PSM I had to boost the signal voltage going to that RF amp so it would track with the other amp in the setup.

That little gremlin aside I really do like those amps. The EQ adjustment they have can really tame speakers that tend to have too much midrange presence and with the included setup disc it is really easy to set the gains for your starting point of your tuning.
I like the amp also and still have one on the shelf just incase I need a good amp for future expansions.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:10 PM
DLennartz
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by USAproud
If you are only 1/4 volume at 80mph I doubt your gains are set correctly. Just my 2 cents
I set my gains using C.L.E.A.N. It’s pretty hard to mess up.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:11 PM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by DLennartz
I set my gains using C.L.E.A.N. It’s pretty hard to mess up.
Care to elaborate? Never heard of it

Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 PM
DLennartz
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
3/4 and your ears will bleed on my bike.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:24 PM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

I bet they will from distortion and highs from your tweeters in your lowers

Show is a pic of where your gains are set. Hahaha

Old 01-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Sure...can I see a pic...maybe its just that time of the month...LMAO!!

Quick Reply: Rockford Fosgate