Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Head unit and popping speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 03:57 PM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Default New Head unit and popping speaker question

Just installed new Sony XAV-AX5000 into my 2015 street glide. Looks great and sounds great. However, when changing from an FM station like 98.7 to 95.3 etc etc it will making a loud popping sound out of only the right speaker. I tried jiggling the connections and moving them etc. I can’t get it not to pop. Idk what it is or why! The speaker still works though. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not an audio master.

current setup:
song XAV-AX5000
cerwin Vega b52 amp
Polk mm652 speakers.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:31 PM
SA66
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say to again recheck ALL connections, not just the speaker wires. And do you have the latest firmware installed on the unit.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:29 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

Okay I’ll Redheck all. Yeah unit is up to date

Old 01-07-2019, 05:48 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

Just for grins try swapping the RCA connectors from left to right. If the pop switches to the other speaker then it would indicate the problem is in the head unit itself. If the pop stays in the right speaker then you know to check your wiring and amp.

Sometimes really loud pops are caused by DC pulses making their way to the amp. If it seems the pops are coming from the head unit itself you could try a cheap PAC SNI-1 ground loop isolator. My head unit would cause a loud pop when I turned it on or off and I used one of those isolators on each set of RCA outputs coming from my head unit and it solved the problem.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Just for grins try swapping the RCA connectors from left to right. If the pop switches to the other speaker then it would indicate the problem is in the head unit itself. If the pop stays in the right speaker then you know to check your wiring and amp.

Sometimes really loud pops are caused by DC pulses making their way to the amp. If it seems the pops are coming from the head unit itself you could try a cheap PAC SNI-1 ground loop isolator. My head unit would cause a loud pop when I turned it on or off and I used one of those isolators on each set of RCA outputs coming from my head unit and it solved the problem.
tried switching rca and didn’t do anything.

besides popping when changing radio stations it pops when turning the sound from 1 to zero at completely off

Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

So I switched speaker wires so instead of amp speaker wire RIGHT TO RIGHT and LEFT TO LEFT. I unsoldered the connections. I then wired left speaker wire to right speaker input on amp and right speaker to left input on amp. I got popping on other speaker! It switched sides. So I eliminated it being speakers! So its the amp! So since I switched side and it literally just went to other speaker does that mean i need a new amp or something??

Old 01-07-2019, 09:09 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

If switching the RCA inputs to the amp DIDN'T make the sound change sides but reversing the speaker wires DID then it sure does sound like something is goofy with the amp.

Maybe check the connectors on the amp itself to make sure they are all tight. The only other thing I can think of is with the bike off rotate the gain ***** several times and then put them back where they were. Flip any switches on the amp back and forth several times and then put them back where they were. The reasoning behind thins is sometimes potentiometers (like the gain *****) can get dirt in the wipers and rotating them a bit can help push it out. The same idea with the switches. It is highly unlikely that this will fix the problem but it is the only thing I could think of at the moment and if you do it with the bike off it shouldn't hurt anything.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

If switching the RCA inputs to the amp DIDN'T make the sound change sides but reversing the speaker wires DID then it sure does sound like something is goofy with the amp.

Maybe check the connectors on the amp itself to make sure they are all tight. The only other thing I can think of is with the bike off rotate the gain ***** several times and then put them back where they were. Flip any switches on the amp back and forth several times and then put them back where they were. The reasoning behind thins is sometimes potentiometers (like the gain *****) can get dirt in the wipers and rotating them a bit can help push it out. The same idea with the switches. It is highly unlikely that this will fix the problem but it is the only thing I could think of at the moment and if you do it with the bike off it shouldn't hurt anything.
all connections seem tight. Moving ***** didn’t help. The amp worked fine when I had the stock unit hooked up right before the install of this unit. I know i didn’t wire anything funky

Old 01-08-2019, 02:42 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

all connections seem tight. Moving ***** didn’t help. The amp worked fine when I had the stock unit hooked up right before the install of this unit. I know i didn’t wire anything funky
Dang. Sometimes I have to deal with audio equipment at my job and if we need to test a component rea quick we will plug our phones into the device and play a song to see how it sounds. Maybe get one of those cheap 3.5mm plug to two RCA connector harnesses and plug your phone into the amp that way and fool around with different audio apps and see if anything has static or pops.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

Dang. Sometimes I have to deal with audio equipment at my job and if we need to test a component rea quick we will plug our phones into the device and play a song to see how it sounds. Maybe get one of those cheap 3.5mm plug to two RCA connector harnesses and plug your phone into the amp that way and fool around with different audio apps and see if anything has static or pops.
plug my phone straight into the amp?? That won’t fry my phone or anything since my doesn’t need an amplifier

Quick Reply: New Head unit and popping speaker question