Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony AX5000 users, any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 06:42 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Has any of the Sony XAV-AX5000 users encountered issues with using the Android Auto functionality? For those CarPlay folks, there's apparently no reported issues (per Donna at Biketronics). When I placed my order today, Donna cautioned me that one user called with issues regarding Android Auto not working properly. She did mention something about requiring the "parking brake" lead needing to be grounded out. The only reason I know of to ground the parking brake lead on new multimedia head units is to try to 'trick' the unit into allowing data entry while in motion - usually for the ability to enter destination info while driving (not a great idea in a car, suicidal on a bike since replacing the Boom! unit will eliminate voice control).

Not that it sounded like a deal breaker, nor a widespread issue, but curious if anyone had switched to the Sony and encountered that issue with ANDROID. She wasn't sure of what version of Android the customer used, or what model phone he had. FWIW, I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Android 9 (Pie) and Samsung's One UI fully updated.

Either way, I'll have a couple weeks wait: they sold their last two head units yesterday, and have more coming in this week. They'll apparently build the enclosure and put everything together next weekend for me. But I did get a military discount- and it's still in the 30s and the roads are still salty as hell, so I have time.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:15 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashnic
Called Biketronics about the switches...spoke with Mike the Tech. Man can't say enough..stayed on the phone with me until it was up and running and thumb switches working correctly. Big thumbs up for Biketronics...
The passion for audio & customer service that BT has really is phenomenal. If I ever stuck my toe in the Sony 5000 water I will without question pay the extra couple bucks and buy from BT.

Just solid damn peeps!!!

T

Old 03-20-2019, 02:38 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by vhmike73
Has any of the Sony XAV-AX5000 users encountered issues with using the Android Auto functionality? For those CarPlay folks, there's apparently no reported issues (per Donna at Biketronics). When I placed my order today, Donna cautioned me that one user called with issues regarding Android Auto not working properly. She did mention something about requiring the "parking brake" lead needing to be grounded out. The only reason I know of to ground the parking brake lead on new multimedia head units is to try to 'trick' the unit into allowing data entry while in motion - usually for the ability to enter destination info while driving (not a great idea in a car, suicidal on a bike since replacing the Boom! unit will eliminate voice control).

Not that it sounded like a deal breaker, nor a widespread issue, but curious if anyone had switched to the Sony and encountered that issue with ANDROID. She wasn't sure of what version of Android the customer used, or what model phone he had. FWIW, I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Android 9 (Pie) and Samsung's One UI fully updated.

Either way, I'll have a couple weeks wait: they sold their last two head units yesterday, and have more coming in this week. They'll apparently build the enclosure and put everything together next weekend for me. But I did get a military discount- and it's still in the 30s and the roads are still salty as hell, so I have time.
Android Auto works on my Sony ax5000. Got a cheap ($20) LG Tracfone to dedicate on the bike for NAV. Only trouble I had happened once when I somehow got disconnected from google; had to remember my google password to reconnect.

A nice surprising feature: before a trip I often look at the route beforehand by entering destination on google maps while inside the house (usually on iPad), when I go to garage to leave, that destination is already loaded into Android Auto.

Last edited by Fullbore55; 03-20-2019 at 02:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fullbore55:
lcsig229226 (05-11-2019), vhmike73 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 05:29 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
The passion for audio & customer service that BT has really is phenomenal. If I ever stuck my toe in the Sony 5000 water I will without question pay the extra couple bucks and buy from BT.

Just solid damn peeps!!!

T
This is gospel truth!!

An example: when I traded for my 2015 Ultra Limited, I had the BT4180 and 7.1 speakers on a 2011 Street Glide, and when I called them about what I'd need to move the gear to the Ultra, they went out of their way to hook me up and get me to "BT4180.14" level, and gave me a great discount on the upgraded install stuff. And when I called to place the order for their Turnkey Rushmore Sony kit, Donna went out of her way to explain what I'd need to do to change the power-on lead (one of the "upgrade parts" from 2016's order), and she annotated on my invoice (for the kit assembly) that I have a BT4180 with four speakers and would be adding a SiriusXM SVX300 tuner to the build notes. Very helpful, and she also noted that their price had changed 3 times in one day- and she quoted me the lowest of the three and added a discount (military) on top. Once again, I'll be 90% Biketronics Audio on my bike: only the Sony unit and my TP speakers won't have been sourced from them (TP speakers are Alpines).