Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6x9 vs 8”

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 03:31 PM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston_t
For th purpose of midbass would there be a big difference in a set of DD vo 6x9’s mounted in the bag facing the tire vs a 8” mounted in the same location ? I already have the 6x9 vo’s and would have to purchase the 8’s, from my searching I would go with most likely the PRV 8mb600ft. Speakers would either be ran bridged off 2ch of a focal fdp sport or of a dd audio d4.90 bridged.

Thanks for your input
Ive heard the VO 6x9 mounted in bags facing wheel and they sounded pretty damn good. I have those prv 8s in my bags
and they sound pretty damn good as well. Hahah they hit a little harder than the 6x9s. I can hear my 8s up to about 45-50mph
before they fade a little. Depends on your music choice as well. If you have kids already as well I would agree as to find a way to separate the air space between them.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:32 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston_t
So would the PRV 8mb600ft be the correct PRV speaker to use as a midbass driver ?
I don't use the PRV stuff so am not in a place to answer that question. From what I hear, the bang for the buck is pretty good.

T

Old 03-14-2019, 03:47 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Biggzed
T -

I'm about to head down this road and was curious about this. Would setting one of the sets of speakers out of phase minimize the air battle? I'm planning on playing with that in the tuning process when I get everything installed. Just curious what your thoughts on this were.

Zach
From the cave man level stuff I have tinkered with there again is a catch 22 on this. The out of phase can help the air battle but the out of phase causes a reduction is the quality of the sound so ur damn near right back where u started.
I'm sure some smaaat guys have possibly figured out how to squeak some benefits out of that strategy but not me.
I think simple fabrication to separate the air can be a fairly viable option as long as the chamber u create inside the bags meet the needs of the speaker's air volume recommendation.

For many of these boys and gals producing next level audio it's about fabrication and airspace management, not to mention all the obvious core stuff.

T.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:00 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

I've got VO 6x9's in my lids and Ground Zero GZCK 200 SPL's (yellow basket) in my bags (pushed by a SS TN 900 about 140-150 rms) and I can hear them easily up to 55-60 mph, depending on song and music production on said tune! I have no separation between the 2 sets of speakers at this time, but no doubt separating the 2 sets would help... but with proper enclosures for air space volume per manufacturers specs for the 8's! I put the 8 inch midbass speakers in instead of a subwoofer so I would not have to build a sealed enclosure for the sub!

Old 03-14-2019, 09:44 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
I've got VO 6x9's in my lids and Ground Zero GZCK 200 SPL's (yellow basket) in my bags (pushed by a SS TN 900 about 140-150 rms) and I can hear them easily up to 55-60 mph, depending on song and music production on said tune! I have no separation between the 2 sets of speakers at this time, but no doubt separating the 2 sets would help... but with proper enclosures for air space volume per manufacturers specs for the 8's! I put the 8 inch midbass speakers in instead of a subwoofer so I would not have to build a sealed enclosure for the sub!
Moto, have u ridden with all the other speakers off at 54-60 with exception of the 8s in the bags? Either u have bionic ears or what ur hearing is what might possibly faintly resemble something that sounds like music. Or u may feel some mids.

I think guys might be hyping up the perceived audio quality that's delivered from 8s inside the bags while riding. I honestly think there is damn near nada value in audible rider music from the 8s inside the bags above 20-30 mph and manage those expectations accordingly for any of my buds I try and help w their setups.

2 cents.

T

Old 03-14-2019, 10:05 PM
arlington
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Been running 6x9s facing toward wheels for a while now, one thing you have to remember a 6x9 is the same surface area of a 8. In No Cal there's plenty of bikes running 6x9s that have as much mid bass as guys running 8s in there bags.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:02 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Moto, have u ridden with all the other speakers off at 54-60 with exception of the 8s in the bags? Either u have bionic ears or what ur hearing is what might possibly faintly resemble something that sounds like music. Or u may feel some mids.

I think guys might be hyping up the perceived audio quality that's delivered from 8s inside the bags while riding. I honestly think there is damn near nada value in audible rider music from the 8s inside the bags above 20-30 mph and manage those expectations accordingly for any of my buds I try and help w their setups.

2 cents.

T
I don't have to turn off my other speakers to hear my 8's at 55-60 especially when playing bass heavy produced music like Morello's Atlas Underground! My hearing ain't what it used to be after assaulting them with loud music all my life but....I know what I can hear at 55 and its the GZ's barking at me at 55...next meet up take my bike for a ride with said album and you will hear them also! I was surprised how well I could hear them at speed, after hearing the BS about not being able to hear speakers in the bags over 30..Rob says he can hears his 10's up to 70 so I guess I'm not the only one with bionic hearing...don't you have 4 8's blasting at the back of your noggin lol! If I would have put them in the front of my bags instead of the back corner I would have REALLY HEARD them at speed...which I would recommend considering for anybody thinking of putting mid woofers in their bags...over and out half deaf Musical Mike.. LOL!!!

Last edited by Moto Mike; 03-14-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:16 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
I don't have to turn off my other speakers to hear my 8's at 55-60 especially when playing bass heavy produced music like Morello's atlas underground! My hearing ain't what it used to be after assaulting them with loud music all my life but....I know what I can hear at 55 and its the GZ's barking at me at 55...next meet up take my bike for a ride with said album and you will hear them also! I was surprised how well I could hear them at speed, after hearing the BS about not being able to hear speakers in the bags over 30..Rob says he can hears his 10's up to 70 so I guess I'm not the only one with bionic hearing...don't you have 4 8's blasting at the back of your noggin lol! If I would have put them in the front of my bags instead of the back corner I would have REALLY HEARD them at speed...which I would recommend considering for anybody thinking of putting mid woofers in their bags...over and out half deaf Musical Mike.. LOL!!!
Won't be at the Midwest / BRF M&G so won't be riding ur sled or listening to the tunes u suggest but I do own those speakers so I am familiar with their capability inside the bags.
All I need now are bionic ears I guess.

R u feeling the bass or hearing the bass?

Lowest priority speaker location on my sled for riding is 8s inside the bags. Parked, different story but not a completely different story.

T

Last edited by Tailwind; 03-14-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:23 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by arlington
Been running 6x9s facing toward wheels for a while now, one thing you have to remember a 6x9 is the same surface area of a 8. In No Cal there's plenty of bikes running 6x9s that have as much mid bass as guys running 8s in there bags.
I would take an 8 over a 6x9 every day all day. Same general surface area but the 6x9 oval cones distort far earlier and also deliver less SQ.

T

Old 03-15-2019, 06:29 AM
arlington
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
I would take an 8 over a 6x9 every day all day. Same general surface area but the 6x9 oval cones distort far earlier and also deliver less SQ.

T
If tuned right you can get a lot out of 6x9s. To be honest with you I'm not trying to hear bass when rolling over 50 miles an hour anyway? At that point I'm trying to enjoy my ride, not worried about perfect SQ and bass at 75 mph. Cruising around town with a half bucket on I can hear and feel bass no problem and SQ is very good, parked system sounds almost like a car. I wear a full bucket most of the time , only time I can really enjoy SQ on my bike is the few times I wear a half bucket. JMO

Last edited by arlington; 03-15-2019 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: 6x9 vs 8”