Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6x9 vs 8”

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 10:38 AM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

I think when all you have is a pair of 8s in your bags and nothing else coming from the rear stage you have a better
chance of hearing them. For those that have 4 other 8s or 10s in the rear stage I would imagine
that the 8s in bags would not be audible. We all have to manage our expectations when it comes to what we will hear or not hear once we are rolling down the road. Not many in here put 8s in most are doing tens but it comes down to budget and how much space are you willing to give up. Every ear is different and hears what others may not so. As far as audio quality at higher speeds I think that it all becomes degraded. I also believe the guys that overspent on there “Top tier” speakers also believe that the sound quality is above others at road speed that’s if they can use them if there’s a chance of rain. Don’t believe the hype. Most of us will never ride another bike to see the difference in speakers, location, etc so in the end it’s what makes the owner happy.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:06 AM
JNM3
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm curious about this whole battle for air thing when you have a 10 in the bag and a 6x9 in the lid. Wouldn't you have the same problem if you had the 10 and a horn in the bags, what's the difference albeit you would have the 6x9 crossed over to a higher signal.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 AM
arlington
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchieM
I think when all you have is a pair of 8s in your bags and nothing else coming from the rear stage you have a better
chance of hearing them. For those that have 4 other 8s or 10s in the rear stage I would imagine
that the 8s in bags would not be audible. We all have to manage our expectations when it comes to what we will hear or not hear once we are rolling down the road. Not many in here put 8s in most are doing tens but it comes down to budget and how much space are you willing to give up. Every ear is different and hears what others may not so. As far as audio quality at higher speeds I think that it all becomes degraded. I also believe the guys that overspent on there “Top tier” speakers also believe that the sound quality is above others at road speed that’s if they can use them if there’s a chance of rain. Don’t believe the hype. Most of us will never ride another bike to see the difference in speakers, location, etc so in the end it’s what makes the owner happy.
Very well said! Now if I could edit the question mark in the wrong place out of my last quote, lol

Last edited by arlington; 03-15-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by JNM3
I'm curious about this whole battle for air thing when you have a 10 in the bag and a 6x9 in the lid. Wouldn't you have the same problem if you had the 10 and a horn in the bags, what's the difference albeit you would have the 6x9 crossed over to a higher signal.
It comes down to excursion needed for the speaker to perform. If a 10 and a 6x9 are fighting each other for available air space to get the excursion needed to produce the beats in its intended range, the results will be less than stellar. The horn in your scenario doesn't offer any resistance therefore there's no negative effect.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Houston_t
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So does anyone have an answer to if foam baffles will work to separate the speakers, or what would work ?

Old 03-15-2019, 11:51 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston_t
So does anyone have an answer to if foam baffles will work to separate the speakers, or what would work ?
Those baffle/covers for the 6x9 would not provide enough air space for the 6x9. Plus, those are normally soft material and made to keep rain off the back of the speaker and with a good 8" or 10" with enough power would crush that light duty foam.

Juice

The following users liked this post:
Houston_t (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 11:56 AM
Houston_t
Tourer

I was just about to post a link to some plastic ones i ran across, they wont compress but will prob still not have enough air space.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:02 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

I was just about to post a link to some plastic ones i ran across, they wont compress but will prob still not have enough air space.
Look at the baffle thread.

Juice

Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Houston_t
Tourer

So would the better solution be a midbass speaker and a horn with stock lids ?
What would be a good horn ? I have no experience with them.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2019, 12:16 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

So would the better solution be a midbass speaker and a horn with stock lids ?
What would be a good horn ? I have no experience with them.

Thanks
Some places are making a mount to use a Compression horn in the lid location. I am sure you can fab something up and use Compression driver.(Plus some compression drivers play a lot lower than a typical horn or tweeter

Juice.

Quick Reply: 6x9 vs 8”