Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio Systems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/)
-   -   arc moto 600.4 w/moto 602 (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems/1275367-arc-moto-600-4-w-moto-602-a.html)

kmarine 03-17-2019 05:36 PM

arc moto 600.4 w/moto 602

Trying to figure out if I am in trouble with the following setup I installed.
H/U sony mex m-100bt, arc moto 600.2 amp,2 arc moto 602 speakers
2 speakers only 2013 street glide I bridged the amp
Sounds great, as long as i dont exceed volume on the H/U by 78%. I didnt make any adjustment on the amp except what the manufacturer said to start, basically minimum on gains, crossover set to lowest setting, BRIDGED 2 CHANNEL HIGHPASS, SET THE LOAD SWITCHES TO 2Ω
equalizer on H/U is off as well as the ipod. Should i be concerned about the internal amp on H/U sending too much signal to amp
This was too easy are my speakers doomed. Be gentle my first post.
K

Hoyt 1911A1 03-17-2019 07:34 PM

I am curious as to the bridging of that amp with those speakers. They listed at 160W PEAK, 90 watts RMS. If you are pushing 300W into each one I imagine they would distort a little bit at higher volumes.

marcodarq 03-17-2019 09:05 PM

i dont understand why you have them bridged either.
m

SBates08 03-17-2019 09:43 PM

First off you need to understand the amp tuning process. HU should not exceed 75% volume at any time. The 602's will take 180 watts all day long but if you set your amp up to max out at 75% volume on the HU, and you push past that you're asking for trouble.

kmarine 03-18-2019 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1 (Post 18112533)
I am curious as to the bridging of that amp with those speakers. They listed at 160W PEAK, 90 watts RMS. If you are pushing 300W into each one I imagine they would distort a little bit at higher volumes.

I am aware of the speaker rating as well as the output from the amp 300 watts.
The reason i bridged was I read on these forums about some seemingly knowledgable posters who did this build and liked it. Like most who ride harleys I believe more is better [probably to a detriment]
I also believe the speakers are capable of exceeding the recomendations.
So maybe my question isnt worded properly. Maybe I should ask if I behave my self with the volume knob and not distort the speakers am I ok. I can wire and install these things, but admitidly dont understand how power flows from H/U to amp. My thought process is that the volume knob controls the power signal to the amp, and because I have and amp built in to the H/U it dint tell me if the the rca connections are preamp so am I amplifying the signal sent to the amp. Also because I have all the settings on the amp turned down or off even though I dont crank it up to distortion point is there some underlying power going to those speakers I should be concerned with.
If the volume Is recomended at 75% even though the bridged amp provides 300 watts per channel by reducing the volume am i not reducing the number of watts I am sending to the speaker?

Hoyt 1911A1 03-18-2019 07:53 AM

I believe more is better [probably to a detriment]
That is the whole issue right there. A lot of folks overdrive speakers and then wonder why the blow. Some of us have also done testing and found that overdriving coaxial speakers tends to make them sound too bright or harsh. If the manufacturer of a speaker says 160 watts is the upper end and you double that you are playing with fire. I understand that lots of folks may have the amp bridged with those same speakers you have but that does not mean it is the best way to set them up.

That amp is perfectly capable of driving four speakers up front without bridging. I am currently using it to drive my fairing and lower speakers and even after shaping the signal with a DSP it will get louder than I can stand at speed without distortion.

I also understand that we all "want what we want"

FrenchieM 03-18-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by marcodarq (Post 18112822)
i dont understand why you have them bridged either.
m

Those speakers can take 180w all day long you will need to bridge that amp
in order to achieve it.

FrenchieM 03-18-2019 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by kmarine (Post 18113146)
I am aware of the speaker rating as well as the output from the amp 300 watts.
The reason i bridged was I read on these forums about some seemingly knowledgable posters who did this build and liked it. Like most who ride harleys I believe more is better [probably to a detriment]
I also believe the speakers are capable of exceeding the recomendations.
So maybe my question isnt worded properly. Maybe I should ask if I behave my self with the volume knob and not distort the speakers am I ok. I can wire and install these things, but admitidly dont understand how power flows from H/U to amp. My thought process is that the volume knob controls the power signal to the amp, and because I have and amp built in to the H/U it dint tell me if the the rca connections are preamp so am I amplifying the signal sent to the amp. Also because I have all the settings on the amp turned down or off even though I dont crank it up to distortion point is there some underlying power going to those speakers I should be concerned with.

If the volume Is recomended at 75% even though the bridged amp provides 300 watts per channel by reducing the volume am i not reducing the number of watts I am sending to the speaker?

You need to read the pin on setting gains. Those speakers can handle 180w all day long. Set the HU at 75% like others have

mentioned and get 180w to them and you will be happy.

FrenchieM 03-18-2019 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1 (Post 18113416)
That is the whole issue right there. A lot of folks overdrive speakers and then wonder why the blow. Some of us have also done testing and found that overdriving coaxial speakers tends to make them sound too bright or harsh. If the manufacturer of a speaker says 160 watts is the upper end and you double that you are playing with fire. I understand that lots of folks may have the amp bridged with those same speakers you have but that does not mean it is the best way to set them up.

That amp is perfectly capable of driving four speakers up front without bridging. I am currently using it to drive my fairing and lower speakers and even after shaping the signal with a DSP it will get louder than I can stand at speed without distortion.

I also understand that we all "want what we want"

Yoh also are driving PA speaks in your lowers for sure I see. Those Motos need 150w just to wake up. Then get them
to 180 and they really start to sing.

kmarine 03-18-2019 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by FrenchieM (Post 18113453)
You need to read the pin on setting gains. Those speakers can handle 180w all day long. Set the HU at 75% like others have

mentioned and get 180w to them and you will be happy.

Well I am basically achieving 75 percent with all adjustments on amp at the lowest allowed.
I start to get distortion around 78 percent depending on the song.
And from your responses I can assume that volume control on h/u does in fact control watts sent to speakers