Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximizing fairing acoustics?

Old 03-19-2019, 10:29 AM
JackRick
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallb
Trial and error will get you the answers. Adding poly fill, and cutting a couple holes is neither difficult or irreversible. If you find the key to unlocking the stg 2s report back.
I do appreciate the feedback, gentlemen! Maybe that's more along the lines of how I should've worded this to begin with? "Has anyone already TRIED polyfill and/or ports on Stage2, and seen any effect, whatsoever?" Has anyone already tried the trial/error possibilities, before ditching the system? There's no way I'm the first to consider/try this.

Last edited by JackRick; 03-19-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: and/or
Old 03-19-2019, 12:24 PM
JohnnyBagger
Novice

JackRick

With your system, first thing I would try is to seal the speaker pods:

https://www.americanhardbag.com/page...iring-speakers

Second, I would try to install dynamat (amazon/ebay brand) to the speaker pods only. If you do a search, someone posted a set of templates here somewhere. I can't see spending that kind of money to line the whole inside of the fairing.

The following users liked this post:
JackRick (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:33 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBagger
JackRick

Second, I would try to install dynamat (amazon/ebay brand) to the speaker pods only. If you do a search, someone posted a set of templates here somewhere. I can't see spending that kind of money to line the whole inside of the fairing.
The templates that were going around were for the inner fairing. Not the pods. It takes around 4 sqft if my memory is correct to line the inner fairing.

JackRick (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:41 PM
JackRick
Novice

Originally Posted by JohnnyBagger
JackRick

Forgive me, (I'm a newb) but does sealing the pods apply to '14+ Streetglides? I thought that was an RG thing?

Old 03-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Hades02
Tourer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I would think that for what you are going to pay for the BT brackets and sound deadening material you could get line levelers, inexpensive amp like a PPI 350.2D, amp wiring kit and some Kappa 62.11i for the fairing and it would sound a hell of a lot better than the boom system. The Kappa's will require you to modify the pods. Others can chime in on smaller magnet/bracket 6.5's that will fit without modifications to the pods.

I can't see your ROI being that great from merely modifying the pods in any way.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:31 PM
JackRick
Novice

Originally Posted by Hades02
I can't see your ROI being that great from merely modifying the pods in any way.
Sorry, but ROI?

Old 03-19-2019, 06:46 PM
2017M8
Tourer

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

Return On Investment

JackRick (03-19-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 04:22 AM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,081 Likes on 2,922 Posts

I'll throw my 2 pennies in the mix.

I never ported my pods with the Boom speakers in them. When I committed to better sounding audio, I replaced the speakers and added an amp. I did end up porting my pods shortly thereafter and it made a vast improvement. I used a 1-3/4" hole saw and kept the "disk" that was removed. I figured if it didn't help, or hurt, I could epoxy the piece back in. I had nothing to lose that way.

It's all trial and error...

Old 03-20-2019, 12:56 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
I'll throw my 2 pennies in the mix.

I never ported my pods with the Boom speakers in them. When I committed to better sounding audio, I replaced the speakers and added an amp. I did end up porting my pods shortly thereafter and it made a vast improvement. I used a 1-3/4" hole saw and kept the "disk" that was removed. I figured if it didn't help, or hurt, I could epoxy the piece back in. I had nothing to lose that way.

It's all trial and error...
I tried ported, no polyfill, some poly fill, etc. I felt the porting did not work at all, I ended up using dynamat and sealed all the joints, and especially that drain hole on the bottom, sounded like a fart coming

out of that thing. with my setup

Old 03-21-2019, 05:27 AM
JackRick
Novice

Mikes300, Thank you for the feedback AND including the pic! By chance, were you running Boom stage 2, when you ran through these mods?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maximizing fairing acoustics?