Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio Systems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/)
-   -   Ready to try upgrading RGS audio (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems/1275675-ready-to-try-upgrading-rgs-audio.html)

NoSecCatfish 03-19-2019 04:16 PM

Ready to try upgrading RGS audio

Some of you may or may not remember that I tried a RF system in my '19 RGS and was very disappointed in it. Well, I think I'm ready to give things another shot but I wanted to get some opinions.

I'm sticking with the Boom! GTS radio, and I'm only interested in a 2-speaker fairing only setup, as I have a fairing spoiler on my bike (so I can't install lowers to put speakers in), and I have no interest in putting speakers in the bag lids. I'm considering a pair of Hertz MPK 165.3 speakers from American Hard Bag, along with their tweeter mounts and modified crossovers. In lieu of flashing or a line level converter, I will probably buy their RF DSR1 and plug & play harness they have to go with it. I'm considering a RF T400X2AD amp, as I had that amp in my previous RG, and although I wasn't totally satisfied with the audio system the amp itself seemed to do a good job. I will fabricate my own amp mounting rack and put it under the stock radio similar to how the RF kit was.

I'm not looking for competition sound here (obviously), but I do want to be able to hear music a bit clearer at highway speeds. I also think that the stock system on the bike now has a decent amount of bottom end, and I don't want to lose any of that.

So... How does that sound for starters? My mind isn't made up on anything at this point, so I am open to suggestions...

Thehairlessone! 03-19-2019 08:23 PM

Good info!

rick

NCmtnsrider 03-20-2019 09:32 AM

I just finished installing the J&M XXR Extreme setup in my 2017 RGS since I just had the Stage 3 done and wanted to upgrade without breaking the bank. I was looking at the RF setup but decided to the XXR Extreme since I didn't need to flash and it's plenty loud but not a sound off competition setup. I don't want to add speakers to rear bags and this setup has worked great for my needs. As usual the new speaker grills need a bit of tweaking but the highs are there along with some bass. I have the XM setup on my bike as well and it didn't take long to get it installed in my garage. Just another option without breaking the bank for great sound.

SBates08 03-20-2019 09:50 AM

It astounds me that folks still get suckered in with these kits.

NCmtnsrider 03-20-2019 11:12 AM

For a basic upgrade on a stock system the kits do work. The best part of the forums is the helpful advice most of the members offer but everyone has an opinion and they're entitled to it. Some don't have the budget to go with a full custom system and choose to put money into engine upgrades or whatever they like to do. I have a coworker with the RF setup on a 2018 RGS that was just installed from the dealership and the system I went with sounds much better and I didn't have to pay an extra free to flash the stock setup or go with line levelers and I don't need speakers in the bags to enjoy the ride. The stereo is there as an added bonus on longer rides and I'm happy with the outcome.

SBates08 03-20-2019 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by NCmtnsrider
I just finished installing the J&M XXR Extreme setup in my 2017 RGS since I just had the Stage 3 done and wanted to upgrade without breaking the bank. I was looking at the RF setup but decided to the XXR Extreme since I didn't need to flash and it's plenty loud but not a sound off competition setup. I don't want to add speakers to rear bags and this setup has worked great for my needs. As usual the new speaker grills need a bit of tweaking but the highs are there along with some bass. I have the XM setup on my bike as well and it didn't take long to get it installed in my garage. Just another option without breaking the bank for great sound.

I suppose as long as you're happy that's all that matters but for the money you spent on that kit, you could've had a really nice system.

NCmtnsrider 03-20-2019 11:36 AM

The best part was I got the kit for under $300.00 from the coworker that bought it and decided at the last minute to do the rockford setup instead... Great Deal I can think of and warranty to boot.

NoSecCatfish 03-21-2019 04:24 AM

OK, so not a single opinion about my choice of components?

marshallb 03-21-2019 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by NoSecCatfish
OK, so not a single opinion about my choice of components?

I don't think any of those components are bad per se, I personally feel you could get more bang for your buck with other components.

Clutched 03-21-2019 09:34 AM

Just upgraded my 18 RGS Audio,Did some research on here,Got a cerwin vega b52 amp,mounts nicely on top of your headlight,Biketronics Line leveler,An Infinity Kappa speakers.Also got a universal HD wireing kit,Some RCA cables an a plug for Harley Plug for Remote Wire.Spent about $340 Sounds Damm Good,An with help from Outkast on here install was pretty easy.