Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio Systems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/)
-   -   Diamond Micro 4v2 with DDAW6.5 and... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems/1276005-diamond-micro-4v2-with-ddaw6-5-and.html)

CoachKenB 03-21-2019 06:29 PM

Diamond Micro 4v2 with DDAW6.5 and...

I have a Diamond Micro4v2 bridged pushing a set of DD AW6.5 with Crescendo tweets in the fairing. I love the sound. Loud, clear, and good punch.

I also have a CV B52 powering some kappas in the lowers. This...compared to AW’s sounds like ASS. Not loud, tinny, and if I crank the amp enough to actually hear them attempt to complement the AW’s they distort.

So...I feel like Kappas are the weak link in this setup. I’m looking for guidance on a speaker for the lowers that will fit fairly easily and will keep up with the AW’s better than the Kappas.

thoughts? Thanks in advance!

CoachKenB 03-21-2019 06:33 PM

Also the bike is a 2018 RG, head unit is the Sony 5000, lowers are Advan Black.

marshallb 03-21-2019 06:48 PM

What do you have the Kappas high passed at? a higher xover point will allow you to give them a little more juice.

Tailwind 03-21-2019 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by CoachKenB
I have a Diamond Micro4v2 bridged pushing a set of DD AW6.5 with Crescendo tweets in the fairing. I love the sound. Loud, clear, and good punch.

I also have a CV B52 powering some kappas in the lowers. This...compared to AW’s sounds like ASS. Not loud, tinny, and if I crank the amp enough to actually hear them attempt to complement the AW’s they distort.

So...I feel like Kappas are the weak link in this setup. I’m looking for guidance on a speaker for the lowers that will fit fairly easily and will keep up with the AW’s better than the Kappas.

thoughts? Thanks in advance!

If u worry about riding in the weather, I think u will have a hard time finding better all around coax speakers for the lowers than either the WDX 6 Moto Gen 2s or the Mmats CX.
These will more than keep up with the AWs.

T

CoachKenB 03-21-2019 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by marshallb (Post 18123574)
What do you have the Kappas high passed at? a higher xover point will allow you to give them a little more juice.

yeah, tried that too but was just way too bright at that point.

CoachKenB 03-21-2019 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tailwind (Post 18123580)
If u worry about riding in the weather, I think u will have a hard time finding better all around coax speakers for the lowers than either the WDX 6 Moto Gen 2s or the Mmats CX.
These will more than keep up with the AWs.

T

Cool I’ll check those out. What’s the reason for sticking with a coax vs a mid range type speaker?

marshallb 03-21-2019 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by CoachKenB (Post 18123608)
yeah, tried that too but was just way too bright at that point.

You're not going to get bass out of a lower. Not to say don't try the MMATs or DBs, just be sure that your expectations are manageable.

Tailwind 03-21-2019 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by CoachKenB
Cool I’ll check those out. What’s the reason for sticking with a coax vs a mid range type speaker?

That's something u will have to answer. What freqs are u expecting to obtain from that hole. If u have enuff full range balance being delivered from the various speaker holes and are targeting a very specific range then a mid will do very well.
The midbass freqs will disappear pretty quick as the speedometer increases but the mid range and highs have a much better chance if making an impact thus mids and highs from that hole may just give u the presence ur system needs. If ur just wanting the mids then there are tons of solid options.

T

CoachKenB 03-21-2019 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tailwind (Post 18123635)
That's something u will have to answer. What freqs are u expecting to obtain from that hole. If u have enuff full range balance being delivered from the various speaker holes and are targeting a very specific range then a mid will do very well.
The midbass freqs will disappear pretty quick as the speedometer increases but the mid range and highs have a much better chance if making an impact thus mids and highs from that hole may just give u the presence ur system needs. If ur just wanting the mids then there are tons of solid options.

T

i think I might just be looking for mids from there. The fairing has plenty of highs for me. What mids would you suggest?

The kappas sound so tinny there that maybe they just ruined me to what a better coax would sound like.

CoachKenB 03-21-2019 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by marshallb (Post 18123631)
You're not going to get bass out of a lower. Not to say don't try the MMATs or DBs, just be sure that your expectations are manageable.

thanks for the advice. I’m not really chasing bass. Just decent sound to go with the fairing.