Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some guidance

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:45 PM
Justin Vollmer
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some guidance

New to the audio world. Have a 2018 rgs with speaker lids and am trying to get together some info to build a nice system for it.

I have used j&m in the past and wasn’t impressed. I have heard soundz systems and I like the clarity and volume but know something can be built for way less that will sound as good or better. At least what is what I have gathered by reading a few of the threads here.

I would prefer to minimize cutting and splicing wires as much as possible but if it’s what needs done to put in the best system then it is what it is. I would also like to keep the stock hu at least for now anyways.

As for price I would like to be $1500-$2000. Biggest thing is clarity as well as volume. So far the motor and exhaust is stock but only for a little longer so I want to make sure I can hear everything loud and clear at highway speeds even after adding an exhaust and other goodies.
What parts and advise do you guys have for me?

Last edited by Justin Vollmer; 03-21-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:06 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Damn good looking scooter Justin and welcome to the forum. A couple of questions. Is your setup stock HR? Are the lids 5x7? Any boom amps in play? Do you have fade control on your HU for front to rear? That will help determine just what you will need.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:11 AM
Justin Vollmer
6th Gear

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Damn good looking scooter Justin and welcome to the forum. A couple of questions. Is your setup stock HR? Are the lids 5x7? Any boom amps in play? Do you have fade control on your HU for front to rear? That will help determine just what you will need.
thanks! Everything is stock that would come on the rgs. Only addition is the 5x7s in the bags which was an option with the paint. There are no amps in the system and I do have fade control on the radio.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:47 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Ok because you have fade control already, you wont need it flashed for that. You will need 2 bt355 line levelers to flatten out the drastic eq curve that the boom HU gives to try to make it sound good. One for the front and 1 for the rear. I suggest replacing the rear 5x7's with 6x9's to add a fuller sound from the rears. That can be done by 6x9 adaptors. A good 4 channel amp will be needed to any aftermarket speaker. You will need an amp wire kit to run power from the battery to the amp. No cutting of any stock wiring will be needed to add an aftermarket setup. The line levelers will plug into the speaker outs from the HU and rca's from the LL into the amp.

As far as speakers go, there are a bunch of different coax that will sound good but that depends on you listening taste. Research threads on this forum and others to find what people like depending on music taste and riding style. 6x9's in the rear aren't as bad to narrow down as there are some good quality 6x9's that will fill your needs. The new mmats pa 690.4 cx4 are some of the best as the hertz mpx are also some of the best.
I personally like the hertz hcx 165.3 for the fairing as they are bullet proof and provide some good SQ for the price.

One of the best 4 channel amps is the stinger spx 700/4 and is easy to install and tune. There are others out there but for the $$ and SQ, it is hard to beat the stinger.

Hope this helps.....

Last edited by travelingypsye; 03-22-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:49 AM
Justin Vollmer
6th Gear

That helps a lot. Thank you. At least now I have a starting point. Are there any particular brands you would recommend for the 6x9 adapters and amp wiring?

Last edited by Justin Vollmer; 03-22-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:03 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Old 03-22-2019, 08:29 AM
Justin Vollmer
6th Gear

Any idea of how much more room the 6x9s will take out of the bag vs the stock 5x7? I do like to do trips with the bike and can sacrifice some space but done want to be losing a ton.

Also any other guys have suggestions? Not that I don’t like what was already suggested I was just looking for some more input as to what everyone has used and been happy with.

The majority of the music I listen to is anything from classic rock to modern rock and the occasional country songs. Didn’t know if that helped at all for speaker selection.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Houston_t
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

6x9's dont take up much more room. Lots of guys like the DD Audio VO-M6x9 i ran them for a season and they are damn good speakers but i recently switched them out for a set of DB Drive WDX69MOTO to me these hit just as hard as the DD Audio but they sound a lot more clear. To add some clarity to the rear with the DD's most add a set of tweeters. For a amp i went with the Focal FDP Sport, but it is pricey and you can prob find something just as good for cheaper, i run a focal amp in my cars so im kind of a fanboy.

Hey does that stinger amp fit in the fairing ?

Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

I was in the same boat as you, as I knew my taste, I went with what I thought was the best amp for me to start with(I didn't want to be changing that out anytime soon) knowing I would get bored of the speakers fast no matter what (which I did, swapped to the Hertz in less that a year) I now feel I have one of the best single amp 4 speaker(fairing and 6X9 anyway)setups out there. it's all in my signature. doesn't take up much space and was a pretty easy install.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:40 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin Vollmer
Any idea of how much more room the 6x9s will take out of the bag vs the stock 5x7? I do like to do trips with the bike and can sacrifice some space but done want to be losing a ton.

Also any other guys have suggestions? Not that I don’t like what was already suggested I was just looking for some more input as to what everyone has used and been happy with.

The majority of the music I listen to is anything from classic rock to modern rock and the occasional country songs. Didn’t know if that helped at all for speaker selection.
FYI, as far as I know(which isn't much to be honest) no one makes an even descent 5X7 speaker.

Quick Reply: Need some guidance