Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony XAV 5000 install completed now have speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 02:01 AM
HDK
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sony XAV 5000 install completed now have speaker question

I’ve got the unit installed and it sounds awesome overall, Im running a ss pn4 1000 d amp with Hertz hcx 165s in the fairing and MMats PA601-4 mid base drivers in the lowers.

The Hertz speakers sound awesome and seem to have good range. They are loud and clear well past what I would normally listen to them at and bass is decent.

The MMats don’t really seem to have the same punch and really seem to be basically drowned out by the Hertz. I thought I would be getting more out of these speakers. I’m hoping that it is in the settings as I don’t really know what I’m doing with this aspect of this. I have both of them set the same currently.

Gains on both are set at Round 11oclock on the dial. Can’t remember exactly where freq is set. That’s where my question lies basically. Where would be a good place to start with settings on these. The Hertz are running off front channel and I like where they are at but the MMats running in the lowers on rear channel need something.

Any help ior suggestions on these settings are greatly appreciated. If these are just the wrong speakers for this application a suggestion for replacement would be good as well. Don’t want to drop a ton but willing to spend some if it’s worth it. Don’t need competition. Just good quality sound. Where it is now I’d barely notice if the MMats were disconnected.

Thanks

Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 AM
bdrummer0413
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HDK
I’ve got the unit installed and it sounds awesome overall, Im running a ss pn4 1000 d amp with Hertz hcx 165s in the fairing and MMats PA601-4 mid base drivers in the lowers.

The Hertz speakers sound awesome and seem to have good range. They are loud and clear well past what I would normally listen to them at and bass is decent.

The MMats don’t really seem to have the same punch and really seem to be basically drowned out by the Hertz. I thought I would be getting more out of these speakers. I’m hoping that it is in the settings as I don’t really know what I’m doing with this aspect of this. I have both of them set the same currently.

Gains on both are set at Round 11oclock on the dial. Can’t remember exactly where freq is set. That’s where my question lies basically. Where would be a good place to start with settings on these. The Hertz are running off front channel and I like where they are at but the MMats running in the lowers on rear channel need something.

Any help ior suggestions on these settings are greatly appreciated. If these are just the wrong speakers for this application a suggestion for replacement would be good as well. Don’t want to drop a ton but willing to spend some if it’s worth it. Don’t need competition. Just good quality sound. Where it is now I’d barely notice if the MMats were disconnected.

Thanks
I have the same same head unit and same mmats 601.4 and they scream... i am assuming you are running no eq on the sony or flat...? 1st thing I am checking is your crossover point? I cross mine at 120hz? whats yours?.... and then I am double checking the wiring.. I am assuming you are running everything in stereo to the amp? or did you bridge anything... let me know those answers...then iam sure others will chime in too that are wayyy more experienced than I am...

Old 05-16-2019, 01:55 PM
HDK
Tourer

Originally Posted by bdrummer0413
I have the same same head unit and same mmats 601.4 and they scream... i am assuming you are running no eq on the sony or flat...? 1st thing I am checking is your crossover point? I cross mine at 120hz? whats yours?.... and then I am double checking the wiring.. I am assuming you are running everything in stereo to the amp? or did you bridge anything... let me know those answers...then iam sure others will chime in too that are wayyy more experienced than I am...
I haven’t made any adjustments to the eq. I will check crossover point tonight cause I am thinking that I have it set a little higher than that. I haven’t bridged anything. Fairing speakers are straight to the front channel and lower speakers are ran straight to the rear. I will also double check all the wiring points to be sure right.

I have it opened up right now anyway because I am having issues with the hand controls. All were working fine until I reassemble bike then buttons scrambled and some functions went awol. Opened up and had it fixed til I put cap back on then it scrambled again. Can’t get it fixed myself this time. Not sure what’s going on with that but seller is working with me to fix that issue.

I will check it all and repost what I find as far as speakers.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:17 PM
IArider1
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

How did you tune it? if you have the speakers in the fairing on the front channel and and the lowers on the rear. Did you use the fade to turn the front and rear settings off so you can tune the individual sets without the other one playing. The mmats should be set at 120 and the hertz at 80 -100.
I would start by setting everything flat again and use the fade to tune the individual sets. I think you'll get a better understanding of how each set sounds if you do that. But I will also say that the hertz are right in your face. Your going to hear them more than mmats IMO.

The following users liked this post:
bdrummer0413 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:07 AM
HDK
Tourer

I did as you both suggested tonight and tuned them separately. Set the crossover to 120 on the MMats and am getting a much better result from them now. I’ve been missing out. I Left the hertz alone cause they sound awesome as they are. Made a huge difference. I appreciate the help. I also got my hand control issue sorted tonight so tomorrow we ride!

Thanks again

The following users liked this post:
Bluesman280 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM
IArider1
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HDK
I did as you both suggested tonight and tuned them separately. Set the crossover to 120 on the MMats and am getting a much better result from them now. I’ve been missing out. I Left the hertz alone cause they sound awesome as they are. Made a huge difference. I appreciate the help. I also got my hand control issue sorted tonight so tomorrow we ride!

Thanks again
Not a problem. Glad everything worked out!

Old 05-17-2019, 08:25 AM
bdrummer0413
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HDK

Thanks again
Same here... glad everything worked out.. thats why we are here brotha...ride on my friend!!!

Old 11-07-2019, 03:49 PM
MrMikeFish
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

I deal with 256 power amps that feed 1/4 million
watts o power into H2O.........and am glad to find this thread, my bike tunes baffle me. LOL