Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Electra Glide Standard/Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 07:21 PM
Wolvie66
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2019 Electra Glide Standard/Radio

Hi there, (Sorry this is little long)
Just bought a 2019 Electra Glide Standard, as you may know this model just has the opening for the radio and speakers. No radio or speakers comes with this bike, nor with the handle bar controls. So Harley Davidson wants $1,600 for the radio, another $350.00 for controls and $150.00 for speakers, totaling a whopping $2,226.00 that's including tax. Then want to charge another $250.00 for service to install the radio and controls. So the grand total would be $2,476.00.
So i been reading and talked to a person who bought the same bike and he installed an aftermarket radio, but by the time we could get into the details he was called up to counter and paid and left. So my question does anybody know if I can buy an aftermarket radio install it, and NOT buy the handle bar controls? I was looking at getting a touch screen apple play radio.
I never had a bike that I could install a radio on, but couldn't really afford a bike that had one already installed from Harley.
Any help would be great!
Thank you in advance
Wolvie66

Old 05-20-2019, 12:10 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

No you’ll be fine minus handlebar controls but you’ll probably eventually buy them anyway because they’re convenient as hell even though they’re ridiculously expensive.

Apple car play is the bomb too, you’ll love it if you haven’t tried it yet.

What are you planning to do for speakers? You can get a smaller 4 channel amp and a couple of coax speakers for the dash as well as the radio and wiring and still come out under 1000 bucks and have room to grow when you want to add more.

And no matter what we say, we always end up adding more lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by slodsm:
lawrence668 (05-04-2022), Wolvie66 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:16 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

66, definitely go with an aftermarket system! A lot of good info on here, so do some research, and I am sure somebody with a newer bike will help you out as far as how to set up your handlebar controls. A lot of guys are putting the Sony XAV 5000 HU in the newer bikes! What locations do you want speakers in, fairing, Tp pods, lids ect! this will bump you back up, where somebody with a newer bike may be able to help you get started! You might have to buy the actual HD handlebar controls, sorry not much help, but I'm sure somebody on here can help you out!

The following users liked this post:
Wolvie66 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 06:44 PM
Wolvie66
Novice

Thank you Slodsm, and Motor Mike.
My bike has the cut out for the radio and has speakers cut out already with just the mesh speaker covers. Right now I am just looking for a radio that will fit and speakers, I guess my other question is the HD radio is water proof? Since I know I will get caught in the rain at lease once, lol. So the radio I need to look for is a head unit that made for bikes?

Thanks again to you both for the information.
Wolvie66

Old 05-21-2019, 07:15 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

You can use any decent HU, Kenwood, pioneer, Sony, Alpine, and protect it with a sheet of plastic on top of it and a plastic face cover to protect it if you get caught in the rain! Or get a Motorcycle specific type like the Aquatic AV, which is water resistant (proof?)! Speakers...there are a lot of choices, depending on how much money you want to spend... old stand by's like the Infinity Kappa's 62IX can be had for $112.00 at Sonic Electronics, and being 2.7 ohm and 95 sensitivity are very efficient...quite a few speaker choices... most go up in price from there! I would also add an amp like the Cerwin Vega B52 (about $125). There are many options out there for you to consider, depends on your budget and how well you want to hear your music!

Last edited by Moto Mike; 05-21-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Wolvie66 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 07:35 PM
Wolvie66
Novice

Thanks Moto Mike,
I did see that about the plastic after reading your post.
I think I will go with the Sony XAV 5000 HU crutch-field has is in stock. And I like that you can use apple play etc with it.
Thanks for all you help

Old 05-21-2019, 09:51 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wolvie66
Thanks Moto Mike,
I did see that about the plastic after reading your post.
I think I will go with the Sony XAV 5000 HU crutch-field has is in stock. And I like that you can use apple play etc with it.
Thanks for all you help
Good choice...a lot of guys on here ditching the stock HU and replacing it with the Sony...I still think you may need a cover to protect it! Are you going to get an amp? How about speakers? I think Biketronics has a version of the Sony that's waterproof...but $$$$!

Old 05-21-2019, 10:40 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolvie66
Thanks for all you help
Brother, call one of these shops that have mass produced the Sony 5000 with the Harley conversion & hand control controller. Ask them to quote u the HU kit and the hand controls as a plug and play package. U might pay a little extra for the package however the engineering will be complete and it still won't cost u as much as the loss of sanity as piecing all this stuff together yourself. Get the HU and Hand Controls in place then build around that with the proper amp & speakers that meet ur budget and also ur ears desires.
Time is money!!!! Reliability is everything!!!

T

The following 2 users liked this post by Tailwind:
lawrence668 (05-04-2022), Wolvie66 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 11:24 PM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Brother, call one of these shops that have mass produced the Sony 5000 with the Harley conversion & hand control controller. Ask them to quote u the HU kit and the hand controls as a plug and play package. U might pay a little extra for the package however the engineering will be complete and it still won't cost u as much as the loss of sanity as piecing all this stuff together yourself. Get the HU and Hand Controls in place then build around that with the proper amp & speakers that meet ur budget and also ur ears desires.
Time is money!!!! Reliability is everything!!!

T
Super solid advice here. You may even get it cheaper if you never plan to buy the hand controls, you could get them to build it without that piece. Call some of the shops and get advice. I got mine from Volunteer Audio but there are several other places that sell a ton of these things.

What is your total budget for this? Give us that and we can recommend speakers and amps.

Also Sony is set to release a newer version that puts out more power without an amp. Most on here including myself will tell you even that will not be enough power to run descent speakers though.

Wolvie66 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 05:10 PM
Wolvie66
Novice

Tailwind, Eggwhite93
Thank you both for the advice as well. My budget is around 1K I would say, give or take a $100.00. I am going to call around this week and see what out there.
Hopefully I can get this done before my trip I am going on with our friends. Going away in 3 weeks to drive from MD, to Georgia to visit friends there. Would be nice to listen to songs on HU instead o ear plugs from phone. lol

Wolvie66

Quick Reply: 2019 Electra Glide Standard/Radio