Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Hertz install in Road Glide Special

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 05:00 PM
Timberjkd
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wevsspot
The BT4180 is a fine AMP. Although you don't have the ability to control gain and frequency with that particular model. So sound and volume wise you're kind of stuck with what you get when you pair all the various pieces together. I'd say try it first, and if you don't like the results you can always swap out for a different AMP>
Yeah I was just a little concerned about this being a component system vs the coaxial speakers I usually ran. First try at something like this but from what I hear this is really like night and day as far as quality sound. I'll give it a try. I saw where one guy drilled holes behind the headlights and mounted bullets in the fairing in front of the speedometer assembly. Not sure if I'm that brave and I travel a lot so...rain is on my brain as well. I never run my tunes in the rain anyway (too many other distractions if caught in a storm).

Old 07-17-2019, 09:17 AM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberjkd
rain is on my brain as well. I never run my tunes in the rain anyway (too many other distractions if caught in a storm).
Weather resistance is an important consideration regardless of whether the system is powered on when you're riding in the rain or not. Just a thought.................. Really depends on how practical you want the system to be. Are you gonna park your bike every time there's the slightest chance of rain, or try and find cover in the event that you get caught in the rain? I'm not an audiophile enthusiast, just someone who likes to listen to my tunes when I ride. So having any part of my system change my ride plans based on weather just wouldn't be practical for me.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Originally Posted by wevsspot
Weather resistance is an important consideration regardless of whether the system is powered on when you're riding in the rain or not. Just a thought.................. Really depends on how practical you want the system to be. Are you gonna park your bike every time there's the slightest chance of rain, or try and find cover in the event that you get caught in the rain? I'm not an audiophile enthusiast, just someone who likes to listen to my tunes when I ride. So having any part of my system change my ride plans based on weather just wouldn't be practical for me.
I totally agree with you. I ride a lot and tour the mountains few times a year in NC. Rains on me at least 1 day out of every trip.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:18 PM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Originally Posted by eggwhite93
Here is a picture of my modified Road Glide pod. Cover with some sound deadening and good to go. People have used heat but it takes a lot.

So I just finished cutting the holes in the speaker pods and I noticed that I had to grind down some of the ribs inside as well. Did you have to do this? Also it seems that the lower inside tab on the grille presses into the speaker surrounding. Should I be concerned about this? Using the biketronics wedged Adapters doesn't really work because it seems to push the speaker out more and makes deeper contact with outer area. Btw these sv165.1 do not have a rubber ring around the magnet that a lot of folks mention. Its metal of some sort.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:05 PM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberjkd
So I just finished cutting the holes in the speaker pods and I noticed that I had to grind down some of the ribs inside as well. Did you have to do this? Also it seems that the lower inside tab on the grille presses into the speaker surrounding. Should I be concerned about this? Using the biketronics wedged Adapters doesn't really work because it seems to push the speaker out more and makes deeper contact with outer area. Btw these sv165.1 do not have a rubber ring around the magnet that a lot of folks mention. Its metal of some sort.
I did have to cut out a bit of the interior ribs. I do not have any problems with the grill touching front of the speakers. Here are some pictures of the speakers without the grill on.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:10 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

I did have to cut out a bit of the interior ribs. I do not have any problems with the grill touching front of the speakers. Here are some pictures of the speakers without the grill on.

Oh hell no. That upside down logo would drive me insane!!!!

Old 07-18-2019, 06:21 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Oh hell no. That upside down logo would drive me insane!!!!
It would me. Then again, I'm half there anyway.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:52 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
It would me. Then again, I'm half there anyway.
I'm glad you said it so I wouldn't have to.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:05 PM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

LOL several of my friends said the same. I don’t care in the least. Plus it’s behind a grill and can’t really see it.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:17 PM
Timberjkd
Tourer

OK I see what you mean. But I was talking about the tabs on the grill itself that snaps into that slot showing in your picture. I had to push the grills down to get them into the slot and it made contact with the speaker . The only tabs that makes contact is the Lower tabs
I have the same amount of space between the inner fairing bracket tabs and the Subway for that you have. It's just when you snap the grill and place the male prong makes contact with the speaker

Last edited by Timberjkd; 07-18-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with Hertz install in Road Glide Special