Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony XAV-AX5000 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 12:26 PM
daveblank
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sony XAV-AX5000 questions

I just installed a Sony XAV-AX5000 in my 14 Street Glide. It won't play music from my Ipod Nano when plugged into usb 1 or 2, but according to Sony it will play directly from an iPhone. Is there a way to make the ipod work? I went ahead & tried a USB flash drive, but it only plays music in the order that it was loaded. Is there a way to play random from the flash drive?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:17 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 407 Posts

I thought I heard they wont play the older style iPods.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:11 PM
daveblank
Tourer

I figured out the shuffle on with the flash drive. It only works when it says off.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:57 AM
cappu99
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daveblank
I just installed a Sony XAV-AX5000 in my 14 Street Glide. It won't play music from my Ipod Nano when plugged into usb 1 or 2, but according to Sony it will play directly from an iPhone. Is there a way to make the ipod work? I went ahead & tried a USB flash drive, but it only plays music in the order that it was loaded. Is there a way to play random from the flash drive?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I don't have an answer for you but was wondering your thoughts on the sound of your new radio. Is it an improvement over stock? I read reviews and some say it is much louder and crisper sound than stock. I have the 4.3 boom and was going to replace with 6.5 used system. I found a company Fathead cycles that completes the wiring harness so when you receive it it is plug and play. I was not planning on installing an amp.

Thanks
Frank

Old 07-19-2019, 12:06 AM
HDK
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It is a definite improvement over stock but I would still suggest an amp to get the most out of it. That is of course up to you but the answer to your question is yes. Added benefit is the navigation through car play or android auto and it’s a no brainer. I did the same thing you are contemplating last summer then switched to the Sony this year.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:41 PM
daveblank
Tourer

Originally Posted by cappu99
Hi, I don't have an answer for you but was wondering your thoughts on the sound of your new radio. Is it an improvement over stock? I read reviews and some say it is much louder and crisper sound than stock. I have the 4.3 boom and was going to replace with 6.5 used system. I found a company Fathead cycles that completes the wiring harness so when you receive it it is plug and play. I was not planning on installing an amp.

Thanks
Frank
I too had the 4.3. I bought mine from Fat Head. I already had an amp & different speakers, but it does sound better. The EQ let's you set it to your preference.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:12 PM
8track
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by daveblank

Thanks in advance.
You can also set playlists on a USB flash drive.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multim...-Creator.shtml

I have never done this but know others who have.

Last edited by 8track; 07-21-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Left something out
Old 08-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Mxpilot
Road Captain
Received 534 Likes on 201 Posts

iPod Shuffle worked right fro the go in my ‘14 SG with 4.3. Nano will not and I suspect it is because it doesn’t have output through the 30 pin, since it has a separate headphone jack. Was going to try running a power cord to the power plug just outside of the compartment and run the headphone to USB that has worked with the shuffle. Guy at the shop suggests I just Bluetooth from my phone, but then the phone battery could come up short at a bad time. Thinking hard about the Sony with CarPlay, have it in both my truck and Corvette and love them. They might make me a deal to get mine done so they have a “sample” in the field

Old 09-07-2019, 08:08 AM
Scott14SG
Tourer

Received 71 Likes on 26 Posts

I finally had some time to take a look at using an ipod with the new Sony radio. I have a 7th Gen iPod Nano. To get it to work with the Sony 5000 plug the iPod into USB2, it will tell you the device is not supported, it's not but ignore that message. Turn on Bluetooth on both the bike and iPod, they will pair, it also looks like it will charge as well. I just messed around with it for 15 minutes or so and everything seems to work fine, songs change and are all identified on the radio screen, hand controls work, screen buttons work, so far no issues. I just plugged my phone into USB1 and was able to use Car Play while listening to the music as well.