Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom GTS Navigation issue - Distance to Turn

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 06:03 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMDN
Thanks to all for the comments. Hey, if not knowing when to turn until you are within two miles is good for you, that's cool. It's not good for me, especially when I am leading a group. I need to know where I am and where I am going. There may be the odd time that I'm off sniffing daises on my lonesome and wandering aimlessly on backroads, but that's pretty rare.
I hear ya Nick...I'm guess I'm odd that way as well. I like to know what/where/when my next turn is whether it's 50, 5, 2 or whatever miles ahead. My truck, my wife's car, and my old Garmin do it that way. If it says my next turn is in 50 miles, I know when to expect it and don't meed to pay specific attention to it for the next 45 minutes or so and plan accordingly. Like if I'm in an unknown area and I'm on a secondary road or 2-lane and would like to stop for a coffee, drink, pit stop or whatever before I hit my next turn which is an interstate, it's great to know that that turn is in say 30'ish miles so I have time to look for my pit stop. If that next turn (interstate) only comes up with 2 miles to go, there may be no pit stop options remaining in those last 2 miles.

I'm also weird (or old) in that before I leave for the day or trip, I like to look at a "big picture" overview of where I am, and where I'm going...be it a paper map or Google maps zoomed out on my 27" computer screen.

And on the topic of "zoom"...I've asked here on the Forum before, but the zoom feature on the GTS is pretty much a non-feature as it doesn't work like any other GPS that I'm currently using or have used in the past. Short version...it's useless.

The following users liked this post:
NickMDN (09-14-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 09:51 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,107 Likes on 2,927 Posts

On the upside, with CarPlay and Android Auto you can display and use Google or Apple maps instead, with the GTS.
Those are more accurate and reliable anyway. You can get current traffic, road construction and closures.

ETA: You meet the nicest people on a Honda!! 🙂

Old 09-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
On the upside, with CarPlay and Android Auto you can display and use Google or Apple maps instead, with the GTS.
Those are more accurate and reliable anyway. You can get current traffic, road construction and closures.

The wife and I just did a 1500 mile run last Friday-Sunday and this was what I used. Just for information purposes, I programmed the destination into the H-D interface just for fuel, route history and mpg calculations.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:50 AM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

I also miss the miles to next turn feature, 2 miles isnt enough .
I do have the pleasure of my distance to turn info "freezing" at least once during a trip and the route arrow continues on the route.

The only way I can "unfreeze" the DTT is to stop the trip and reboot.
I have not contacted the dealer of the Motor Company about this.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Bike is a 2020 SGS

The following 2 users liked this post by y22c:
jb7 (11-05-2023), Juan L (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 06:53 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by y22c
I also miss the miles to next turn feature, 2 miles isnt enough .
I do have the pleasure of my distance to turn info "freezing" at least once during a trip and the route arrow continues on the route.

The only way I can "unfreeze" the DTT is to stop the trip and reboot.
I have not contacted the dealer of the Motor Company about this.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Bike is a 2020 SGS
Yes, sometimes distance to turn will freeze on mine and restart the route is the only way I’ve found to restart it. 2020 CVO Ultra.

The following users liked this post:
jb7 (11-05-2023)
Old 09-14-2021, 07:38 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,414 Likes on 4,119 Posts

it's a small thing, but I'd do one of those just to get better setup and loading time....this old one is soooooooooooo slow

as for the nav feature, I've used it on a couple of 5k mile trips and I use the map when I'm wandering around sometimes with no destination.....for the most part, it's been pretty reliable....seems to get confused in big cities

Old 09-14-2021, 09:59 AM
NickMDN
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Lefty. You said it better than I could. Those are exactly some of the issues, and I do the same things you do for a trip.

For any HD motor company eggheads who might be reading this, here are a few problems caused by the current HD Nav limitation when leading a group.

Basically, I'm just trying to stay alive and keep others alive. I'm constantly checking my mirrors, and looking or talking with my TG and ARC. On large rides, I'm also listening to the command traffic, usually on CB but sometimes on SENA too. On large rides, I am also trying to maintain visual contact with the TG of the group ahead of me. I can't ride "blind", not knowing when to turn. In other words, I am very distracted.

If we're riding into weather, I'm trying to figure out if/when/where we should stop. In traffic, should I try to take the group around the slow truck in front of me? Should I have my TG take the lane and signal to move over prior to the turn? Is it time to close up the group? Do I send out the road guards? When can we make a rest stop?

I can't be constantly looking at my GPS just in case it starts the 2-mile countdown. And at 65-75 mph, those 2 miles are chewed up quickly. On Interstates you might be able to do the math and figure out what exit you're on, and what exit it says to leave, but I'm probably not that smart to remember it.

Anyway, that's some of the reasons why the current limitation on "no distance to next turn" info cannot work for me. Plus, after all of these years doing the above, it just bothers the sh*t out of me, and I can't even ride alone not knowing when to turn.

And by the way....I love Waze and I like the CarPlay interface. But as I mentioned in my first post, it failed during heavy rain, and the Boom! system was blinking a warning to me to disconnect from the USB. My phone was stored because of the rain. Without going into detail about how much fun it was to disconnect from the USB on a Road Glide while riding in the rain at night, the point is that I wound up back on the HD system.

Thanks again,
Nick

Old 09-14-2021, 10:05 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I take it you're digging that new Boom radio? lol

Old 09-14-2021, 10:25 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts

Yup...well aware of those options. Got the CarPlay hack adapters (both) and have used CarPlay a few times. Gotta tell ya though, I'm not a big fan (probably in the minority here) of it.
I prefer the GTS full integration with the bike, it's fully & completely waterproof (don't have to worry about my phone plugged in the cubby when it starts pouring), etc.

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
it's a small thing, but I'd do one of those just to get better setup and loading time....this old one is soooooooooooo slow
I never owned the previous version GT, but the GTS boots up plenty quick.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:36 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

I did like the old GPS better but this one works good too, you just need to play with. And if I can do it anyone can. Don't know if I do it right but it works for me. If I need more time than 2 miles or 1 mile on back roads I go to the bottom of the screen and highlight it and it will give your next turn and all of them for that matter. How much time do you need? As far as freezing up that has happened to me, I just go to another screen and and hit past rt's and re start it or maybe its previous Rt's. Don't anyone look at a map anymore ? Maybe if he started looking ahead and not at the dame GPS he would enjoy the ride more and be safer on the road.

Quick Reply: Boom GTS Navigation issue - Distance to Turn