Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio Systems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/)
-   -   Lets talk LIDS: 6x9 lids vs 8 inch Nasty Hog (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems/1385591-lets-talk-lids-6x9-lids-vs-8-inch-nasty-hog.html)

Badbagger 10-15-2021 02:08 PM

Lets talk LIDS: 6x9 lids vs 8 inch Nasty Hog

So let's talk lids. I have been doing my fair share of reading here as well as Sound Freaks on FBook and watching videos. Plan is for a Solo Street Glide Special and as was pointed out to me here, the MOST bang for the buck audio upgrade would be to add a set of lowers to the fairing. Despite my original desire not to, I am clearly convinced this is the way to go. I had originally planned on a set of 6 x 9 lids in the bags, Rockford Lid Kit and a set of Hertz Neo Show SX690's prior to seriously considering lowers which I am now convinced is the way to go. Having said that, I'd really like to get this done in one shot and call it day and I would still like to add lids to the bags. Yes I won't really hear them at 80 plus on the highway but they'll offer a nice fill and I will be able to hear them running the back roads.

Having said that as far as lids go my best options appear to be the Rockford Lid Kit or similar and add the Hertz Neo 6 x 9. Secondly, I came across the Nasty Hog Lid Kit for the tour pak that will allow me to add 8" speakers, for the moment I will revert to my boating days and think of the JL M880 which is a great marine speaker, water proof etc. So all things considered and assuming that I power speakers will say 400 watts each for a max.... which set up will give me MORE? As in more clarity and best chances to actually hear the tunes? The Nasty Hog Kit, link below has the speakers pointed in a very favorable position so I am giving the nod to that set up. Cost wise, both kits are very close in price.

Anyone have any experience with the Nasty Hog kits or products? In reading what I could find online, they make a quality product and paint match is really good and they offer free returns ALTHOUGH I just sent them an email to confirm. They have several products and appear to have been around a while.

Link: https://nastyhog.com/products/8-spea...bags-2014-2019

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...6d155b3e82.jpg

So what say you? Thanks and peace out.

Fireball Jack 10-15-2021 02:51 PM

The 8's are the way to go sound wise. I just dont care for the looks.

Badbagger 10-15-2021 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack (Post 20233569)
The 8's are the way to go sound wise. I just dont care for the looks.

I feel ya, the looks have taken a bit of time to grow on me. I’m ok with them but I don’t want to lose storage in the bags and just thinking I won’t.

teedoff65 10-15-2021 03:55 PM

Have you done your lowers yet? If you're thinking you will add lowers, do that and see how that sounds. That may be enough that you wont want to or need to add anything in the rear.

Also, there are lowers that will accommodate 8" speakers. Dirty Birds I think just released a lower that holds dual *' speakers. lol

cshocker 10-15-2021 04:51 PM

Advan Black go with colored matched 8" lids are great. If you're debating between 6x9 and 8's, go with 8's all day long. Figure it's going to cost you at least $1000 to add lid speakers. Adding 6x9's is not $1000 worth of sound. Bump it up to 8's and you'll get more volume, loudness and lows.

Badbagger 10-15-2021 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by cshocker (Post 20233787)
Advan Black go with colored matched 8" lids are great. If you're debating between 6x9 and 8's, go with 8's all day long. Figure it's going to cost you at least $1000 to add lid speakers. Adding 6x9's is not $1000 worth of sound. Bump it up to 8's and you'll get more volume, loudness and lows.

Thanks I figured about a grand. Have you heard of the Fairing Factory! In my search I found them, very good eBay reviews and based in CA. They also make full lower that accommodates 8” like Voodoo but for about $800. Lids are under $200. Made in China clearly but material is allegedly as thick as HD in their bags. Also found a reasonably priced painter that uses Moco paint for dead match.

InthewindMN 10-15-2021 11:46 PM

Lowers add nice front fill, 8” lowers are ever better but if you want lower freqs they will have to come from the bags.

As for 8” vs 6x9, I would go 8” because there are tons more options for speakers to get the right combination.

FastDude2020 10-16-2021 05:37 AM

8" better.

Badbagger 10-16-2021 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by InthewindMN (Post 20234341)
Lowers add nice front fill, 8” lowers are ever better but if you want lower freqs they will have to come from the bags.

As for 8” vs 6x9, I would go 8” because there are tons more options for speakers to get the right combination.

Good point on the options, that’s something I did notice.

Dsm Limited 10-16-2021 08:41 AM

If you are contemplating JL880'S for the lids, you'll want Voodoo lids. They are actually designed to fit that speaker. Most 8" lids won't naturally accept an 8.8" speaker.

As far as a rider bike, those speakers are probably your best option. Waterproof, play fairly low for a full range speaker and you will hear them well to 50mph. After that they exponentially fall off. 250watts work well with that speaker.

Voodoo also makes lowers that fit that speaker.