Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Product: A bracket to mount an amp with HD CB/XM/Ipod modules.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default New Product: A bracket to mount an amp with HD CB/XM/Ipod modules.

**A Note From Admin. This product is not going against any Sponsor on HDF. It is not being sold to use with J&M's Amp. John's product comes with it's own brackets. I have approved this thread so it is not in violation to HDF Rules. "TerryTheTrollKiller"

Like many of you who have installed an amp (in my case an Arc 125.2) on top of the Harman Kardon radio, but also have HD module(s) (e.g. CB, XM, etc.) I encountered the problem of what to do with the CB module since the outer fairing won't go back on the bike if the amp is installed on top of the modules. I moved the CB module to the bottom of the HK radio and secured it with Velcro. (Note: Hawg-wired and Hogtunes offer amps that will fit on top of the modules above the radio.)

When J&M introduced its Arc clone, J&M also provided brackets using one for the amp above the radio, and the second for modules below the radio. But J&M hasn't offered to sell the brackets separately.

HDF member 141 Starlifter (Scott) now has a bracket for installing the amp above the radio and the modules below the radio. Here are some pictures of the bracket:

http://

The price for the bracket is $39.95 plus $10.95 for UPS shipping. Scott's contact information is: ezzell141@comcast.net I spoke to Scott before purchasing the bracket and he's a good, knowledgeable guy.

[Note: Scott's bracket was designed for use with the Rockford Fosgate 300W 4-channel amp and has pre-drilled holes for that amp. Use of other amps will depend on their size. As noted below, the Arc 125.2 amp will work with this bracket. You can go to Arc's website and get the dimensions of the Arc amp (which is slightly larger than the RF amp) to compare to the amp you plan to use. Although Scott provides holes for mounting the RF amp with screws/nuts, Hawg-wired, Hogtunes, and Arc (in its MPAK motorcycle kits) use Velcro to secure the amp.]

My bracket arrived late last week and over the week-end I did a test fit on my bike with the HK radio/CB module. It's a well-made product; unpainted galvanized steel; with provision for installing the bracket using two screws at the front of the radio and the slots on the rear of the HK radio, and, securing the module(s) at the bottom of the radio using the tab on each module. Scott's bracket installs differently than the J&M brackets which use the four screws used to secure the HK radio to the vertical fairing brackets. In that respect, it's an easier install since the bracket slips around the HK and the four screws securing the radio are not disturbed. Using the two screws at the front and the slots at the rear of the HK, the bracket is very secure.

I'm currently without an amp as I'm waiting for the Rockford Fosgate 300W 4-channel amp and sold the Arc before Scott's bracket arrived. When I get the amp, I'll post pictures of the installation. Scott also will be selling the RF amp when it's available; I have one on order from him. The last picture above is the RF 300W 1-channel amp that is the same size as the 4-channel amp.

If you're installing an amp above the HK, and want an alternative for mounting the CB/XM/Ipod/NIM module(s), take a look at Scott's bracket and shoot him an email if you have questions.

Carl

PS: Although my bike is an '04, I've retrofitted the HK radio w/ CB module, etc. Also, Scott's bracket is supplied with pre-drilled holes for installing the RF amp and the pictures show screws and nuts for that installation. The bracket comes without the screws and nuts. I used some black spary paint I had on hand and painted the bracket for cosmetic reasons. If you plan to use an Arc, Elf, etc. amp, check with Scott for fitment. As Scott notes below, the Arc 125.2 amp works with his bracket.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 10-09-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:21 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I emailed him and he says that he working on a Road Glide bracket too.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:23 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Which is a better amp, the Arc or the Rockford Fosgate 300W 4-channel?
Thanks

Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

Subscribed

Old 04-16-2011, 11:25 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Karl,

Nice pictures and write up! Would not expect anything less from you.

Scott,

Could you let me know when the bracket is ready for the Road Glides and maybe PM
me?

Thank you both,

YELLOWBIRD

Old 04-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Hydroboy35th
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea, does this work with the j&m 250w amp?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydroboy35th
Great idea, does this work with the j&m 250w amp?
The J&M comes with the brackets. But as to your question, the J&M is a clone of the Arc 125.2 which does fit with the bracket as reported by 141 Starlifter.

Carl

Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Can anyone recommend a good amp for this rig?
Thanks

Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts
Default On the way

Just ordered mine. Great guy to deal with and had lots of great knowledge on install and just general motorcycle audio. I think he is going to do well with this. Fills a huge gap, in a huge market. Kris

Old 07-12-2011, 12:26 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Just finished my install using this bracket, along with a Hawg-Wired 200 Watt amp, HD Ipod interface & XM radio modules.

This bracket is a work of art. A must-have for a clean, pro install. Best $50 I've ever spent.

Good luck getting by without it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Product: A bracket to mount an amp with HD CB/XM/Ipod modules.