Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Radio Headset Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts
Default CB Radio Headset Question

I've been asking around for 6 weeks or more. Maybe there's no such thing out there. I want to get rid of the handheld mike on the CB of my 103 Ultra. I'll flip the 3-position switch on the fairing so everything comes through the fairing speakers. I want a headset that'll go over my head, under my helmet, with a boom mike and nothing over my ears --- a headset with no speakers on it. Not necessarily wireless --- I'll plug into the gas tank where it is now. Not necessarily voice activated --- I'll use the PTT. Nobody knows of anything. JM John couldn't help me. IMC couldn't help me. Heard about a good CB shop in a truckstop, and that guy couldn't help me. Maybe there just isn't anything like this, out there. Can something like this be made for me? Can I just cut the speakers off of a headset, and get what I'm looking for, and still talk, and hear everything from the fairing speakers? Thank you, if anybody has any bright ideas for me.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Just curious, what is the problem with using headset speakers?

If I understand you right, you are just looking for a headset microphone only? I can't believe they don't have such a thing. I'd tell you to get a headset and cut the speakers off, but I don't know if not having the resistance of the speakers in the circuit would damage the radio. I know you can have the external speakers on and still use the headset. My only concern is possibly damaging the radio by not having a load on the headset speaker outputs.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by slhanks4
Just curious, what is the problem with using headset speakers?

If I understand you right, you are just looking for a headset microphone only? I can't believe they don't have such a thing. I'd tell you to get a headset and cut the speakers off, but I don't know if not having the resistance of the speakers in the circuit would damage the radio. I know you can have the external speakers on and still use the headset. My only concern is possibly damaging the radio by not having a load on the headset speaker outputs.
Just personal preference, I guess. Don't want anything over my ears. Is there a headset out there, where I can just put the speakers "to the side", and they'll be there, but I just won't use them? Maybe tuck them inside the helmet padding to get them out of the way, and hope the helmet's comfortable having them like that.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing it would be pretty hard to hear/understand CB chatter over the speakers at speed.
You could probably get an over-the-ears (under the lid) headset and remove the speakers. Maybe just relocate them.
You might look around at a truck stop, but I think those guys largely use cell phones instead of CB these days. Unless they're looking for hookers.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Actually you can hear the CB on the speakers pretty good at speeds...

Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

THAT'S IT! Thank you!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 PM
motocop
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with IMC Motorcom. They may have your boom w/o speakers.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by motocop
Check with IMC Motorcom. They may have your boom w/o speakers.
Already looked at IMC. Also emailed back & forth with JM John. This one from freeride is what I want. Already ordered, and received it. Thanks for all the replies, and suggestions.