Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I wire this combo for speaker level inputs??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:19 AM
FLTpilot
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I wire this combo for speaker level inputs??

Hello all! i am new here and joined because of some of the stereo info i read here.

So i have a question... i have an FLTRX with lower fairing speakers and saddlebag speakers. The fairing has a RF 300/2 and a SS Picasso 4 channel amps just about hooked up. It is the stock HK head unit with J&M speakers in the fairing and fairing lowers. Got a pair of 6x9 speakers going in the saddlebags.

Ok... I thought I had this pretty well thought out.... Buttttt...

I have 2 amps in the fairing, a RF 300/2 (for my rear saddlebag speakers) and a Picasso PN4-520 4 channel for the fairing and the lower fairing speakers.

The RF is a no brainer in that I accessed the read speaker outs from the HK head unit.

The Picasso is wired "front channel" to the fairing speakers, and the "rear channel" to the lower fairing speakers. The problem knocking my brain is the Picasso's speaker level inputs are separate front and rear.... But the HK radio only has the front fairing outs (remember the rear outputs are feeding the RF amp). I am thinking I can wire both Picasso speaker level inputs to the same speaker outs from the HK headunit. In other words use the HK front speaker outs to feed both the speaker level ins on the Picasso.

But I am not sure.... Any thoughtz!!???

I was hoping the Picasso would accept a single input and feed it to both channels if one input was left unconnected but I do not see that in the manual.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:43 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

My JL amp has a switch for 1 or 2 inputs but I don't see a problem running the front outputs to both inputs.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:21 PM
FLTpilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
My JL amp has a switch for 1 or 2 inputs but I don't see a problem running the front outputs to both inputs.
I looked for such a switch but there was not one (at least not on the input/crossover side of the amp. I'll check the other side.
I don't see a problem either but if the HK headunit is putting out a speaker level signal and looking for a ~2ohm load.... What would happen in splitting the signal to two amp speaker level inputs? Hmmmmm.

I'll probably just do it and play with different connection setups and measure with my DMM and see what I get.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Not sure about the bike but in cars with multiple amps an electronic crossover is needed in most cases.

My .02 cents

Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 PM
FLTpilot
Advanced

OK... After further investigation I think I found my answer here

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...n4-520d-3.html

A side not ... This sux since I already wired all the speakers so I might just go with the PAC high level to RCA adapter like the SNI-35...

UltranutZ - I have another question that might be in the aforementioned link but it is late and I will read it in depth tomorrow but the question is...

If I split the HK headunits rear speaker level outs, one to the SS "rear" inputs (for my lower fairing speakers) and one to the RF 300/2 (to power the saddlebag speakers), then the HK fader will adjust the rears and lower fairing speakers together to the upper fairing speakers.... Is this correct, and how might this be an advantage??

Also, If I just use the PAC speaker level to line level converter coudn't I just set the lower fairing speaker level a bit different (I would think a little lower) than the fairing speakers? is there some sort of "fader" control I could put on that to achieve Upper/Lower control?

And finally, Why is it not advisable to wire the HK FRONT Speaker level outs to both channels of the SS Picasso yet it is OK to split the REAR speaker level outs to separate amps?

I asked UltraNutZ here in my post but anyone with info (or without :-) is welcome to share with...

Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 PM
FLTpilot
Advanced

Bueller, Bueller.....

:-)

I'm actually at the point of wiring the rear speakers and then choosing the input wiring so I am on my knees praying the to gods of high level/low level/HK wiring for some sudden burst of insight.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

hey sorry man.. been kinda busy on this end lately...

ok here's what you need to do because it's NOT advised (although I've seen folks do it without issue) to tie a single high level output into 2 high level inputs. The inputs need to be isolated from each other as well as each channel should be isolated.

Get you a PAC SNI-15 (this is a direct 10:1 reduction with no adjustments) adapter, 2 RCA "y" (1 male to 2 female) adapters, and 2 short (male to male) RCA cables. Leave your RF wired up the way it is now which I assume is wired using the rear speaker wires from the head unit correct?

Install the SNI-15 on your front speaker outputs of the head unit, plug in the 2 y adapters, and then use the 2 RCA cables to provide RCA inputs to the SS amp.

This method will provide the proper isolation from front and rear and left to right that you should have. Now wire your speakers up and you're all done after you set your gains sir...

Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 AM
FLTpilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
hey sorry man.. been kinda busy on this end lately...

ok here's what you need to do because it's NOT advised (although I've seen folks do it without issue) to tie a single high level output into 2 high level inputs. The inputs need to be isolated from each other as well as each channel should be isolated.

Get you a PAC SNI-15 (this is a direct 10:1 reduction with no adjustments) adapter, 2 RCA "y" (1 male to 2 female) adapters, and 2 short (male to male) RCA cables. Leave your RF wired up the way it is now which I assume is wired using the rear speaker wires from the head unit correct?

Install the SNI-15 on your front speaker outputs of the head unit, plug in the 2 y adapters, and then use the 2 RCA cables to provide RCA inputs to the SS amp.

This method will provide the proper isolation from front and rear and left to right that you should have. Now wire your speakers up and you're all done after you set your gains sir...
Thank you sir!! No apology necessary! I've come to you for help and would never assume you or anyone would drop everything to reply to a stranger.

That said, I think I understand the reason to not split the front high level outs into the high level ins of the same amp. The isolation you speak of would not be handled properly by the Picasso amp. But to split the high level out to two separate amp would ensure isolation.
Now the choice is weather to use the PAC as you describe or split the rear HL outs to run into the RF and SS rear ins. I was contemplating the pros and cons of a fade between all fronts and a fade between top front and lower front/rears.

BTW - you are correct, I currently have the RF wired to the rear saddlebag speakers only but that can be changed easily enough to get the above mentioned setup.

Thanks again! I am off the the car stereo store!

Old 07-19-2013, 01:48 PM
FLTpilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLTpilot
Thank you sir!! No apology necessary! I've come to you for help and would never assume you or anyone would drop everything to reply to a stranger.

That said, I think I understand the reason to not split the front high level outs into the high level ins of the same amp. The isolation you speak of would not be handled properly by the Picasso amp. But to split the high level out to two separate amp would ensure isolation.
Now the choice is weather to use the PAC as you describe or split the rear HL outs to run into the RF and SS rear ins. I was contemplating the pros and cons of a fade between all fronts and a fade between top front and lower front/rears.

BTW - you are correct, I currently have the RF wired to the rear saddlebag speakers only but that can be changed easily enough to get the above mentioned setup.

Thanks again! I am off the the car stereo store!
OMG! I'm gonna need louder pipes...!

I did as UltraNutZ advised and got a line level convertor and wired it so the fairing speakers are "front" on the Picasso and the lower fairing speakers are "rear". The convertor (Axxess, could not find PAC) has amp turn on (not used) and level gain pots so here is what I did...

Disconnected the RF and rears.
Turned the radio and all pots down to minimum and turned the bike to accessory.
Used the J&M test CD that came with the speakers to play some AC/DC.
Then later used my iPod with some blues and also tried some radio.
Checked signal ons and all was well.
Centered bass and treble on HK head unit.
Turned radio up to full and then backed off 2 bars.
Turned pots on the Axxess Convertor all the way up then backed off a tad. (don't know if this was right but did not hear any distortion)
Set the gains of the Picasso front until I THOUGHT I heard distortion then backed off a bit. Then turned them down remembering my position.
Followed same procedure for "rear" lowers.
Initially had both band pass switches set at Full Range but decided to put the front (fairing) filter to 80hz (not adjustable) high pass and leave the lower fairing to Full. Don't know why....it just felt right.
Re-did my gain set-up.

Anyone find anything wrong with this procedure? I did not see any through instructions for the Line Level Convertor so I just played with the pots with the fronts only, and then the rears/lowers until I decided on the setting I listed.

Am going to do some more testing now.... I will check my gains using a DMM and see if my ears are good indicators... I suspect I might be a bit low on my settings..

WOW! WELL worth the effort...! Thank you all for your help.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:53 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I only have 1 question for you:

Are you happy with it? If so, then you're done sir. :-)

Congrats on a good install...

if you took pics, post them up for the others to be able to utilize in their installs..

Quick Reply: How do I wire this combo for speaker level inputs??