Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade 02 to HK

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Upgrade 02 to HK

This is not a thread on whether or not it can be done. I have been searching and know I can, I just want to make sure I understand the issues and their solutions. I was hoping those in the know can look over my info to make sure I have it correct.

The bike is an 02 Ultra. As I understand things the basic functions will work (handlebar controls and front speakers) via the 23 pin connector. I loose the CB/intercom and rear speakers. In order to get the rears I would need to replace the current overlay harness due to th different connection for the HK. I could use the non-Ultra harness and gain the rear speakers and connections for add-ons like I-Pod etc... If I use the Ultra harness It would include the CB atenna connection and passenger 7 pin intercom connection along with the rear speakers etc... would need to replace the plug on the interconnect plug from the current three to a six to match the new overlay harness connections. From what I have read I would need to tap into the speedo wiring in order to get the AVC to function. The only issue that I see is needing to be able to "communicate" to the radio. There is no proper routing through the ECM etc... when needing to programm functions on the HK unit unless I were to swap it out for a newer bike and program it that way. Please let me know what I have right or wrong and if there are solutions to the issues or if there is something that I am missing.

As always thanks for the help. This forum rocks!!

Neil
RDMC

Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

some of this is correct info some not.

yes to the 23 pin connector however this is where you AVC is controlled as well. On the new bikes (05-1/2 and up) it's digital. the older it's analog. to switch it from digital to analog simply go into the radio diagnostics and switch it there.

to obtain rear speaker outputs you don't need to go through all the mess and expense of wiring harnesses. You only need to connect 4 wires to pins as follows

These are the pins on the radio itself and they are labeled in the connector

Pin 1 - RR +
Pin 2 - LR +
Pin24 - RR -
Pin 25 - LR -

Now.. if the fader is not activated on the new head unit that presents a whole different issue because then the head unit will need to be connected to an 06 or newer bike for activation. Or you could send it to Iron Cross Audio and they'll activate it for you.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Neil
Road Captain

UltraNutz,

Seems like you are the man in the know; you and Carl (Harleypingman). The only reason I may add the wire harness is to keep the intercom/CB and to be able to add various modules like SAT radio etc... If I do add the harness then I would need to change out the interconnect plug to match the new; yes? Thanks for the reply. Looks like I can start searching for a HK head unit, speakers etc...

Neil
RDMC

Old 09-16-2013, 07:32 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Carl probably forgot more about HD audio that I will ever know.

Yes you'll need to re-pin a connector to match the NUOH or OH

Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil
UltraNutz,

Seems like you are the man in the know; you and Carl (Harleypingman). The only reason I may add the wire harness is to keep the intercom/CB and to be able to add various modules like SAT radio etc... If I do add the harness then I would need to change out the interconnect plug to match the new; yes? Thanks for the reply. Looks like I can start searching for a HK head unit, speakers etc...

Neil
RDMC
If you're serious about doing this, and can wait a month or so, I will be removing the Harmon Kardon off my '12 Limited. I will be removing all wiring, rear pods with all controls, CB module, and I have the original speakers if you want them. The only thing I have done is to splice into the harness to grab the rear speaker signals for my amp. They have marine grade heat shrink spade connectors that will plug in and complete the harness.

Everything works. Has the chrome face plate too. I even have the headset given to me when I bought the bike. Never been out of the box.

Last edited by Pioneer74; 09-16-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Neil
Road Captain

I'm in no hurry at all. Trying to figure out how much everything will cost to see it its worth it. Also looking to upgrade engine to a Fuel Moto 98 and I know that WILL be worth it. Let me know when you pull it apart.

Neil
RDMC

Old 09-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Neil
I'm in no hurry at all. Trying to figure out how much everything will cost to see it its worth it. Also looking to upgrade engine to a Fuel Moto 98 and I know that WILL be worth it. Let me know when you pull it apart.

Neil
RDMC
I will let you know and give you first shot before I put it on eBay or the classifieds. I'm going to start looking for a painter around me to get my LED light bar, saddlebag lids, and speaker grilles painted. If I find somebody that can jump on my project I'll put the bike up for the winter and strip it out.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:31 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
I will let you know and give you first shot before I put it on eBay or the classifieds. I'm going to start looking for a painter around me to get my LED light bar, saddlebag lids, and speaker grilles painted. If I find somebody that can jump on my project I'll put the bike up for the winter and strip it out.
Pioneer74.. do you have the LED lightbar with you? What I'd like to know is this;

If replacing the stock light bar with this one, does it get rid of those ugly and unsightly bulges on the inside rear of the tourpak? I'm thinking about (with my new setup) removing the stock tour pak liner and just lining it with stock matching material to finish it out.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 09-17-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Pioneer74.. do you have the LED lightbar with you? What I'd like to know is this;

If replacing the stock light bar with this one, does it get rid of those ugly and unsightly bulges on the inside rear of the tourpak? I'm thinking about (with my new setup) removing the stock tour pak liner and just lining it with stock matching material to finish it out.
I'll take a picture of the inside of my Tour Pak when I get home and post it. Supposedly, there is a smooth liner you can get that will work with the LED light bar, but I'm still using the stock one.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 09-17-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:17 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

thank you sir

Quick Reply: Upgrade 02 to HK